Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Adding audio to the mix

Most Recent

written by: geert

@0beron, yeah I already requested that, it should be on the feature list for the future

written by: mikemilton

Wed, 5 May 2010 09:58:55 +0100 BST

I was wondering if one can add live audio into a performance. Specifically, I'm thinking it might be useful to add (record) a vocal or other part which would then loop along with the other layers. One example might be to sing a solo voice part and then layer on instrumentals (or harmonies). One might want to do somthing similar with a guitar part.

Perhaps I'm just asking if there is (will be) a way to record x bars from the microphone input and then have it loop is a similar fashion as the keyboards?

I wonder if this is even an appealing idea as one could readily do this outside of EigenD but that sort of sidesteps the notion of the harp as the master rather than one more instrument in the performance system?

written by: john

Wed, 5 May 2010 13:47:18 +0100 BST

Hi Mike

I hope you're enjoying your new Alpha, the picture of it in your cabin looks great.

The recording and looping of audio is a feature ticket in the queue already - we have a number of people who want to do this now (including me). We're probably going to do it by extending the existing performance recorders to support audio - this will take a little while as it then requires streaming to and from disk, which is always rather fiddly to get right. It won't get done in the next couple of months as we're really focused on Windows, the Workbench and Stage, but it's considered pretty important right after that. And as Geert has just ordered a microphone to go with his Alpha on order I suspect he's going to start bending my ear about it too pretty soon!

John

Wed, 5 May 2010 14:21:22 +0100 BST

You can count on it! ;-)

written by: 0beron

Wed, 5 May 2010 15:12:46 +0100 BST

What mic did you go for?

How does it mount on the alpha, or does it just clip onto your lapel and hook up with a wire?

Is there anything out there with the right connector on it, with an adjustable tube type of mount, like a talkback mic?

Wed, 5 May 2010 15:22:41 +0100 BST

Eigenlabs offers three microphones at the moment, but only just sold the first one to me. They have to solder the connector themselves on the mic and thus physically adapt it for the Alpha. The Alpha needs to be configured in software to output the right voltage levels etc. I have no Idea how it attaches to the Alpha. I currently went for the 'cheapest' mic since I'm not really certain I'll like working with a mic in this fashion, but I do want to give it a chance. I went for the Audio Technica AT898C.

written by: mikemilton

Wed, 5 May 2010 16:12:17 +0100 BST

John - Great! I'm not chomping at the bit but it is nice to know it is in the pipeline. I'd agree with your proprieties completely. (well, actually, couldn't you just do them all by later this week? [smile])

Geert - nice to see a dog with a bone, keep at it! Did you see the selection on offer somewhere on the site?

0beron - I have not got a mic specifically for this purpose yet. I was thinking of seeing how to adapt my current AT but now I'll watch to see what eigenlabs puts on offer

Wed, 5 May 2010 16:20:48 +0100 BST

It's somewhat hidden in the hardware specs of the Alpha, but it's not on the web shop for order yet.

written by: Tenebrous

Thu, 6 May 2010 13:51:18 +0100 BST

I love the idea of this feature... Can I add a request to it though, which is to support recording of audio from inputs *other* than the Alpha's mic? I.e. other inputs on the laptop.

written by: 0beron

Thu, 6 May 2010 16:58:42 +0100 BST

Another nice thing to have would be the ability to 'bounce' an event-based recording into an audio stream. It would mean that you can no longer modulate the plugin that created the recording, but would free up processor resources for further takes if you want a lot of layers. Not sure how feasible this is though.

Thu, 6 May 2010 17:26:41 +0100 BST

@0beron, yeah I already requested that, it should be on the feature list for the future

Please log in to join the discussions