Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: AU midi channels

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

Yeah the original post (and my requirement for Virus) is to have multiple midi channels to same AU at once eg for splits
If you one only need one at a time, then yes midi rigs and au agents can have their channels changed from a talker.

written by: 0beron

Tue, 4 May 2010 11:33:15 +0100 BST

Is it possible to setup several keygroups, each of which will talk to the same AU plugin over different MIDI channels?
At the moment if I want 3 different patches independently controllable in a plugin such as Omnisphere, I can load up the plugin in 3 keygroups, but I get 3 instances. Omnisphere is quite capable of running dozens of sounds from a single plugin instance, so was wondering if there was some way of splitting up the output from the eigenharp and routing it to just one plugin.

Is there a way to do this that I'm missing, or will I have to wait for the work bench?

I often have an omnisphere patch on one keygroup and a trilian bass patch on another, and since the newer versions of the spectrasonics plugins let you run trilian patches inside omnisphere, this kind of setup would mean I can further reduce my plugin count.

I suppose the overhead of the plugin itself is quite small compared with the actual size of the sample libraries involved?

written by: geert

Tue, 4 May 2010 12:58:00 +0100 BST

Hi 0beron,

Type this in the commander:

audio unit 1 hey midi channel to 0 set
audio unit 1 hey maximum channel to 4 set

The first command will turn on polyphonic MIDI mono for multitimbral playing, the second will limit the midi channels that are used to 4. You can change that up to 16. This mode will have each next note played go through another MIDI channel.

HTH,

Geert

written by: Tenebrous

Tue, 4 May 2010 13:49:10 +0100 BST

Silly question probably, but if you set the maximum to 1, does this cause everything to come out of the same MIDI channel?

written by: 0beron

Tue, 4 May 2010 14:46:07 +0100 BST

Are we thinking about the same things here? As far as I see it, the belcanto above would put successive notes of a chord onto different MIDI channels?

What I'm after is to have two separate keygroups, which would talk to the same plugin, but on different channels, regardless of which note comes first or which is lower or higher than the other.

Is that what the belcanto above will do?

Tue, 4 May 2010 15:26:42 +0100 BST

Ah no, sorry, misunderstood.

Tue, 4 May 2010 15:27:06 +0100 BST

*deleted*

written by: Tenebrous

Sun, 6 Jun 2010 17:26:40 +0100 BST

I was just playing with Electri6ity and was asking myself this exact question... can you have two keygroups going to the same AU but different MIDI ports?

written by: emf1123

Tue, 19 Mar 2013 18:08:56 +0000 GMT

Did anyone ever figure this out?

written by: tenorjazz

Sun, 6 Oct 2013 08:13:25 +0100 BST

I have been thinking the same thing for Omnisphere.. I thought I would give this thread a bump to see if anybody has figured this out.

Another thing I was thinking about would be to have a quick way to change midi channels from within the same keygroup. Say I'm in keygroup 1 and playing midi channel 1 on Omnisphere. It would be great if I could just push one key and I would be playing on midi channel 2. I have a piece of music I would like to play where the "lead" instrument needs to be changed very quickly. Being 4 to 5 different instruments it doesn't make sense to try and set them up in separate keygroups. If I could just swap midichannels that would make the most sense.

Sun, 6 Oct 2013 09:00:54 +0100 BST

Yes it's possible.
Basically you need to use a few midi converters (one per channel) that then feed into the AU agent a midi input. For clean solution remove key input to AU agent as you will use the midi converts.
( basically you are bypassing AU agents converter)

For selection you could then use instrument selection as normal.

It's a bit 'tricky' belcanto (and/or) workbench but will work.
At some point I will put this together for creator, as I want it for my access virus.

written by: tenorjazz

Sun, 6 Oct 2013 09:36:32 +0100 BST

midi converters??

AU agent??

I just read your post but don't have a clue what you said (well maybe a little). I am an absolute beginner and have so much to learn.

My Tau came a little over a week ago, I have been practicing scales, trying to learn about modes and how to record loops while trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can. I have a thousand ideas and huge ambitions. There's just not enough time in a day!!

I will be ordering EigenD Pro this week so will have Workbench. That should help me visualize how things work.

I also have a virus that I eventually want to use in my setup.

Sun, 6 Oct 2013 13:22:38 +0100 BST

Sorry, I know... as i said its not that straightforward...

anyway, Im actually working on a setup for 'creator' that will do this,
Im doing it for the Alpha but it will be easy to change for the Tau.
I will 'announce' it on the Google+ Eigenharp community in next few hours. ( Ive done most of it, just need to test it a bit, and tidy it up)

What ive chosen to do, is to replace the 4 samplers rigs, with rigs that will be different midi channels on AU1.
i.e.
Instrument 1 (formerly sampler 1) will be Audio Unit rig 1 - midi channel 2
Instrument 2 (formerly sampler 2) will be Audio Unit rig 1 - midi channel 3
Instrument 3 (formerly sampler 3) will be Audio Unit rig 1 - midi channel 4
Instrument 4 (formerly sampler 4) will be Audio Unit rig 1 - midi channel 5
Audio Unit 1 rig - unchanged, midi channel 1

Note... at this stage, they are all going to use 1 output port. so the mixer is for AU rig 1... you cannot mix in eigenD between these 'instruments'
(this is not an issue for the virus, as you have part mixer anyway in VC)

Given its done in creator, you can easily change the above (e.g. to keep a sampler), and also convert for use with Pico/Tau.

Sun, 6 Oct 2013 16:18:18 +0100 BST

ok, bad news ... there appears to be a bug in EigenD which means this will not work!

bit technical to explain what the issue, but basically, the audio unit agent can accept its normal input and ONE additional midi input source.

in the above example, it can work on midi channel 1 & 2 but no more than that.

this is a pain, because I already had connected by virus keyboard and the eigenharp, so I cannot use it for splits.

for the technical minded the issue is midi input on audio unit agent, although will accept multiple connections it will only process the data on one channel (the first that connects.
the same bug exists on the midi output agent which explains why a new midi output is created for each rig.
(id wondered about this before... as they are on separate midi channels, why create separate virtual ports, they could all be on one... well the reason is because the midi output agent cannot process multiple rigs midi signals!)

written by: carvingCode

Sun, 6 Oct 2013 16:23:47 +0100 BST

I didn't read back to the original post, but the recent asked about the possibility of changing MIDI channels of a keygroup on the fly.

All you need is a Talker with some version of the following Belcanto:

midi rig # midi converter 1 hey midi channel to # set

Assign the Talker to a key, percussion key is quite handy for this.

Duplicate to access multiple MIDI channels.

Hope this helps.

BTW: If you aren't using midi rigs, leave "midi rig #' off.

Sun, 6 Oct 2013 17:20:10 +0100 BST

Yeah the original post (and my requirement for Virus) is to have multiple midi channels to same AU at once eg for splits
If you one only need one at a time, then yes midi rigs and au agents can have their channels changed from a talker.

Please log in to join the discussions