Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Note indicator lights

Most Recent

written by: keyman

Thanks @Gonecaving... i did notice that

I've bin promising some more "naughtiness" around this so here it goes:

Use the percussion keys to change the light patterns ( be them relative to given scales or just "wild"patterns)
(this uses the previous script)

empty join
talker create
it to percussion light scale talker name ify

percussion kgroup 1 hey
output 12 create

percussion kgroup 1 output 12 to percussion light scale talker connect

kgroup 1 listen
percussion light scale talker listen
interpreter listen

" percussion light scale talker hey 1 to 1 from 2 colour ify " when 1 do output 14 when 1 set
" percussion light scale talker hey 2 to 1 from 2 colour ify " when 2 do output 15 when 2 set
" percussion light scale talker hey 3 to 1 from 2 colour ify " when 3 do output 16 when 3 set
" percussion light scale talker hey 4 to 1 from 2 colour ify " when 4 do output 17 when 4 set
..... and so on...

if you one likes to re-arrange the output's from the percussion kgroup:

empty join
percussion kgroup 1 listen
output 1 to 11 move

or
output 1 to 13 move
(( for example; 13 will eventually "disappear"))

written by: 0beron

Tue, 27 Apr 2010 01:28:47 +0100 BST

Dave has hinted several times that a feature whereby particular notes on the keyboard are permanently lit in a particular colour. Is there any way this can be done or does it need updates to the base station and Alpha firmware?

Something configurable would be nice so that it could be used with custom scales perhaps, but as an example, all the C's might be red, the F's orange and the G's green. It would be of great use when starting to play, particularly since the top note of a keygroup can vary so much through changing the tonic and splitting the keyboard in different places.

written by: geert

Tue, 27 Apr 2010 07:42:19 +0100 BST

Yeah, i've mentioned this several times to Eigenlabs, I'm certain they'll add information to the wiki about how to do it when it's ready for public consumption. When I talked to Dave he said that what he's doing is currently a hack and is fixed to a particular keygroup, without having knowledge of roots, etc ... so it probably needs some refinements before it's really useful for the general user.

written by: Tenebrous

Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:16:23 +0100 BST

A kind-of side question here, but is it possible to set the LEDs to any brightness other than "off" or "on"? Like, for example, could you have some of the LEDs half as bright? That way, you could have C as bright green, F as half-bright green... etc.

written by: john

Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:33:50 +0100 BST

Hi

The lights can only be set to red, green or yellow. There is no option to set them to half brightness - we had this in an earlier version of the Eigenharp but it added a lot of cost (we had full tricolour LEDS with 3 bits for each colour), power consumption and complexity to the electronics, and when we tried it in stage conditions it wasn't actually that useful - it's very hard to tell the difference between different LED levels or subtle colour differences when under strong, often coloured lighting.

I occasionally miss the blue LED though - it looked cool and also gave us a white option. We may be able to add this in the future, but it will be difficult - there's not much room for the part and it will depend largely on a semiconductor manufacturer producing a very small tricolour component. There doesn't seem to be anything suitable out there at the moment

John

Tue, 27 Apr 2010 14:27:30 +0100 BST

Understand, thanks for the reply!

I really like the suggestion of lighting up specific notes permanently though.

written by: barnone

Fri, 30 Apr 2010 06:05:30 +0100 BST

Proof it exists!!

Photo of a Maple alpha with the tonics lit on the scale.

Tonic lit

Fri, 30 Apr 2010 06:32:51 +0100 BST

Yeah, I've seen Dave use it during demos, it's definitely possible.

written by: mikemilton

Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:09:43 +0100 BST

'tried to post this in the wiki, but could not get it formatted nicely so here is that belcanto script

description
light led root notes on keygroup1, chromatic scale
script
gain create

it to light gain name ify

talker create

it to light talker name ify

kgroup 1 output 41 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 42 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 63 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 64 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 65 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 85 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 86 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 87 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 88 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 107 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 108 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 109 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 110 to light talker connect

light talker listen

light gain listen

volume to 0 when 13 set
volume to 0 when 31 set
volume to 0 when 43 set
volume to 0 when 49 set
volume to 0 when 61 set
volume to 0 when 79 set
volume to 0 when 97 set
volume to 0 when 115 set

Thu, 5 Aug 2010 14:20:58 +0100 BST

Ooooh excellent!

Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:55:18 +0100 BST

So, a little experimentation shows that the numbers 13, 31, 43, etc ar the numbers of the keys starting from 1 at the top left corner and working down the courses. So, if one wanted to make up a similar script for, say, a major scale, one just needs to count the keys.

What would be great to know is what volume setting turns the LEDs off or to another colour? (assuming this is how one does this. Alternately, how does one turn the LEDs off?

I'm interested in making up a script to undo the one below as well as a script to light the accidentals some other colour.

Sun, 15 Aug 2010 15:50:01 +0100 BST

Hmm, I can't get the above script to work. Running it from the browser does nothing as far as I can see, so I tried typing it into the commander a line at a time. This then fails on the line 'kgroup 1 output 41 to light talker connect' with the complaint 'inappropriate use of the verb "connect"'

Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:52:19 +0100 BST

Cut and paste everthing from "description" to the end in a text file and then try the instructions at the bottom of this page:
http://eigenlabs.com/wiki/Belcanto_Scripts/

Also, save your setup before running it as I do not yet know a way to turn them off again (ie: you probably want a setup with and without these lights)

Sun, 15 Aug 2010 17:37:53 +0100 BST

Just packed up all my gear to leave to Exeter tomorrow, so I can't check. Mike, I think you can turn them off by typing this:

light talker hey
all phrase cancel

Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:58:16 +0100 BST

Thanks Geert, I'll give that a try, m

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 00:28:48 +0100 BST

Mike, still no joy. The browser seems to run the script, but it reports 'failed' in the right hand column. If I do it line by line then it fails on 'kgroup 1 output 41 to light talker connect'.

What starting point are you using? Does it assume factory setup 1 or something?

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 01:38:12 +0100 BST

0beron.... Well, I'm running it against one of my use setups that is based on Alpha 3.

Below is exactly how it was given to me by Neologic. All I did was to 'scriptify' it so I did not have to type it all in. I'm at a loss to understand your challenge but you can try typing everything below the ===== that follows (I'm just cutting and pasting again to be sure I did not make an error before).

my regrets, m

=============
gain create

talker create

kgroup 1 output 41 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 42 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 85 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 86 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 87 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 88 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 107 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 108 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 109 to light talker connect
kgroup 1 output 110 to light talker connect

light talker listen

light gain listen

volume to 0 when 13 set
volume to 0 when 31 set
volume to 0 when 43 set
volume to 0 when 49 set
volume to 0 when 61 set
volume to 0 when 79 set
volume to 0 when 97 set
volume to 0 when 115 set

Mon, 16 Aug 2010 11:12:59 +0100 BST

Ah, I think I know why it wasn't working - I was running 1.1.10-testing by mistake, the version that was withdrawn, and that had lots of internal shake-ups. Maybe this is a hint that the script might cease to function in future versions of eigenD?

written by: ZaPPZion

Fri, 10 Dec 2010 00:59:33 +0000 GMT

Might be quite a bump, but I've been trying to do this as well. It doesn't work for me though. I'm using a Tau, so i'll need to adjust the numbers of course, but that's not what's going wrong. It fails way earlier. The gain create works, but after that, it fails at the 'it to light gain name ify' sentence. It reports failed on 'it' and then on the next line it sais it's an inappropriate use of name.
When i just continue trying to type the next lines, it fails at the kgroup 1 output 41 to light talker connect as well, it tells me no agents use the verb connect.
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

written by: davidk

Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:06:27 +0000 GMT

Hi ZaPPZion,

It is strange that the phrase 'it to light gain name ify' sentence is failing. Can I ask which software release you are using? Something to try is typing in 'all join' before putting in the first phrase.

The phrase 'kgroup 1 output 41' will not work properly on the Tau. 'Output X' refers to the location on the keyboard of the different instruments when you press keygroup 1's mode key. As keygroup 1 on the Tau has a different number of keys than the Alpha, the location of the instruments is different. For the Tau try this...

all join

gain create

talker create

kgroup 1 output 29 to light talker connect

kgroup 1 output 30 to light talker connect

kgroup 1 output 31 to light talker connect

kgroup 1 output 45 to light talker connect

kgroup 1 output 46 to light talker connect

kgroup 1 output 47 to light talker connect

kgroup 1 output 48 to light talker connect

kgroup 1 output 66 to light talker connect

light talker listen

light gain listen

volume to 0 when X set
volume to 0 when X set
volume to 0 when X set
volume to 0 when X set
volume to 0 when X set
volume to 0 when X set
volume to 0 when X set
volume to 0 when X set

Replace the Xs with the key numbers you want the lights to be on.

Hope that helps,

Dave

written by: ZaPPZion

Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:58:32 +0000 GMT

Thanks a lot, that helped me out a lot, apparently something wasn't listening or so the all join worked :)
Is there a way to make the lights go red or green instead of orange? Would be cool to be able to distinguish certain octaves etc.

Please log in to join the discussions