Forum rss-feed

Forum

Sounds: Modelled Cello and Viola are waaay nice now

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

I just noticed something that I *really* like (so hopefully it is not a bug hehehe) which is that when the physical models are set to monophonic they are *only* monophonic within a course but are polyphonic between courses! So, in the cello, the courses behave like strings (mono) but there are 5 of them.

If everyone knows this already then count me as new or slow or both but it is a great feature!

m

written by: barnone

Fri, 23 Apr 2010 06:04:35 +0100 BST

More kudos for whoever is building the physical models for these. I find them to be miles better than when I first got my instrument. The latest changes in 1.1.2 are especially playable and expressive. Great work!

written by: geert

Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:45:19 +0100 BST

I concur, very nice improvements on these!

Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:07:55 +0100 BST

I'll add my kudos as well. In particular, the attack is greatly improved and much more controllable.

I'd love to be able to get at and tweak the model parameters. I've spent a lot of time with the Yamaha PM models and, while they are very chaotic, tweaking can be rewarding. I look forward to the Sax model John mentioned a while back and (for all the models) to improvement in the dynamic expressivity throughout a note (timbre, growl, etc). The potential for organic and emotional performance is really compelling

written by: 0beron

Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:45:19 +0100 BST

The really exciting thing next to the yamaha PM sounds is the polyphony - I have another video to upload which features chords played on the clarinet patch, and it sounds great to my ears. The different notes have slightly different thresholds in breath pressure at which they trigger (on a real clarinet you have to blow harder for the higher notes..), so you get a controllable split-chord effect depending on how hard you attack the chord.

Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:27:34 +0100 BST

Yes - polyphony is a key thing, particularly for strings.

The 2 voices on the VL1 work well to for reed / pipe sounds but that is it.

I'm looking forward to the clarinet model to improve on note transitions. PM is really (IMHO) the only way to get really good transitions or attacks on, say, a trumpet (and embarrass the poor performer who gets it wrong and squawks one - like me too often).

written by: stuwyatt

Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:01:37 +0100 BST

I'd also like to chip in with my gratitude re: the updated cello model. Very nice :)

And yeah, chords using the clarinet/cello are lovely. I especially love being able to bend individual notes in the chord - but I need to listen again to the clarinet sound, as I have not noticed the different trigger thresholds before (thanks for the heads up).

Sat, 8 May 2010 20:08:41 +0100 BST

I just noticed something that I *really* like (so hopefully it is not a bug hehehe) which is that when the physical models are set to monophonic they are *only* monophonic within a course but are polyphonic between courses! So, in the cello, the courses behave like strings (mono) but there are 5 of them.

If everyone knows this already then count me as new or slow or both but it is a great feature!

m

Please log in to join the discussions