Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Complaint (?) about Workbench from a new user

Most Recent

written by: Peter Ostry

Thank you for explaining the circumstances, I appreciate that very much.

Since I decided to keep my Eigenharp Pico (which was not clear after the first problems), I am willing to help with further development.

1. I have some knowledge of programming, but only high level. I am not a c++ or Python programmer, so I cannot help with coding. But from my own company I am used to talk to programmers and once we found a common language I should be able to communicate in a constructive fashion.

2. Maybe there is a bug/feature list already, maybe not. I will ask Mark about that.

3. I am used to write documentations and I am one of the few people who like that. I will contact you, we can talk about the improvements by email.

Thu, 25 Jul 2019 02:09:21 +0100 BST

Mac 10.14.5, EigenD 2.1.7-community 32 Bit.

Hi, as a new user of EigenD but a mature user of other applications I experience Workbench as a nightmare, kind of.

1. No undo function.
2. No copy/paste/duplicate for objects and groups of objects.
3. No copy/paste/export/import of objects between presets.
4. No inline monitoring of internal data.
5. No detailed documentation of objects, their parameters and usage.

Really?

Hopefully I am just overlooking the obvious.

written by: john

Thu, 25 Jul 2019 07:46:03 +0100 BST

All EigenD Agents are documented here:

http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.1/The_EigenD_Reference/

Thu, 25 Jul 2019 13:24:30 +0100 BST

So you agree to points 1-4? Wow. I hoped his would not happen. These functions are crucial but very deep in the core programming, I am afraid we will not see them before a complete rewrite of the software if that ever happens.

Point 5, the EigenD Reference: This is rather a list of Belcanto phrases with a few comments. Many parameters and options in object interfaces are not explained at all, but not self-explaining as long as you aren't an expert.

I understand the problem of making an extensive documentation of complex software for a tiny user base. But more people can buy Picos than Taus or Alphas and just the small Pico needs a lot of configuration. I expect most of new Pico users to give up after a while and never recommend this instrument to anyone else. But well, I am not your marketing doctor and already talking beyond my competence.

I have to accept the absence of undo/copy/paste/export/import functions but am still asking for a better documentation ;-)

written by: john

Fri, 26 Jul 2019 09:24:22 +0100 BST

EigenD is free, you do not pay for it. It is open source and you are very welcome to contributre to its development and add these features. Adding the functionality you want would probably not be too difficult, things like that are not intrinsic to the architecture, they are certainly not 'deep in the core programming'. I would certainly encourage you to have a go if the lack of these feautures is a serious issue for you. 'Cut and paste' and setup versioning would be nice to have, go for it.

You do seem to be under a slight misapprehension about Eigenharps. I sell them for about what the parts cost me, I don't actually make any profit selling them. Eigenharps are a passion for me, not a profit making business. EigenD had over £2M of software development prior to me releasing it under the GPL, it's a complex piece of software. I couldn't keep funding the development beyond a certain point, I don't have a bottomless pot of money, so if you find things missing that you'd like I can only encourage you to open up your development system , fire up git and get cracking, we all apreciate someone contributing and I'm sure Mark (who leads the community release) would welcome you.

If you'd like to assist with improving the documentation and don't think it is extensive enough then this is also possible, it's a Wiki and the one thing no-one likes is writing docs, so I end up keeping that up myself. If you have ideas about that and want to write some entries please get in touch with me directly.

John

Fri, 26 Jul 2019 12:04:33 +0100 BST

Thank you for explaining the circumstances, I appreciate that very much.

Since I decided to keep my Eigenharp Pico (which was not clear after the first problems), I am willing to help with further development.

1. I have some knowledge of programming, but only high level. I am not a c++ or Python programmer, so I cannot help with coding. But from my own company I am used to talk to programmers and once we found a common language I should be able to communicate in a constructive fashion.

2. Maybe there is a bug/feature list already, maybe not. I will ask Mark about that.

3. I am used to write documentations and I am one of the few people who like that. I will contact you, we can talk about the improvements by email.

Please log in to join the discussions