Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Setting the talker's criteria

Most Recent

written by: Peter Ostry

I think there is a misunderstanding, the task I mean is simple. I try to explain it in a different way:

I have a MIDI input. It's 'key output' connects to a Talker's 'key input'. In the action interface I set the key column to 1 and the key row to the note number expected by this action. That's it, the incoming note triggers Belcanto phrases.

Wish 1:
I would prefer CCs over notes. The MIDI input has a CC output. So I want a Talker action react to a certain CC channel/number/value coming from the MIDI input. It works with notes but how does it work with CCs? If all three CC components are not possible, I can use channel/number or number/value pairs.

Please have a look at the screen shots.
I want the same functionality but with incoming CCs instead of notes.
Patching MIDI input to talker
Talker action for incoming note number 19

Wed, 24 Jul 2019 20:17:17 +0100 BST

I learned to control the talker with keys from the Pico keyboard/keygroup, and with notes from an external source. But I have no luck with other sources:

1. How to interpret incoming MIDI continuous controller, which parameters must be set in the talker?

2. How to interpret internal Workbench signals, for example the octave output of a scaler, which parameters must be set in the talker?

Any hints and links are welcome.

(Yes, I posted the same at community.polyexpression – still don't know the right forum for this kind of questions.)

written by: john

Thu, 25 Jul 2019 07:38:48 +0100 BST

Talkers do not work in that way, they actually 'say' a phrase of Belcanto to the interpreter inside EigenD. This means that things like continuous controller values, which vary with time, are not useful to them, they can only be 'said', which implies that they can usefully respond to a single activation like a key press or MIDI note on, but it's not really useful to think about anything else.

I think the same applies to your 'interpret' question, I'm not sure quite what you mean by it but I think you might be expecting some functionality in a Talker that it doesn't have and couldn't have without enormous additional complexity, cmplexity that would probably be solving a problem that is better solved in a different way.

Thu, 25 Jul 2019 14:22:47 +0100 BST

I think there is a misunderstanding, the task I mean is simple. I try to explain it in a different way:

I have a MIDI input. It's 'key output' connects to a Talker's 'key input'. In the action interface I set the key column to 1 and the key row to the note number expected by this action. That's it, the incoming note triggers Belcanto phrases.

Wish 1:
I would prefer CCs over notes. The MIDI input has a CC output. So I want a Talker action react to a certain CC channel/number/value coming from the MIDI input. It works with notes but how does it work with CCs? If all three CC components are not possible, I can use channel/number or number/value pairs.

Please have a look at the screen shots.
I want the same functionality but with incoming CCs instead of notes.
Patching MIDI input to talker
Talker action for incoming note number 19

Please log in to join the discussions