Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Visualiser software

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

In one of the various interviews I seem to recall mention that the Hexstatic visualizer was now shipping with the eigenharp. Is that true? Will it be added to the SW downloads?

cheers, m

written by: 0beron

Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:05:12 +0000 GMT

Watching the Musikmesse videos, something caught my eye - the visualiser graphics that seem to be driven by the Eigenharp. I've seen them once before on a video by Hexstatic. Do we know if the software is theirs or eigenlabs' ?

I'm very interested in these real time visual effects. Running it direct from MIDI means the visuals match the music much more directly than the audio visualisers you see in media players that just run off the sound energy level and fourier plot. I wrote a dissertation at Uni in which I implemented a system that accepts MIDI and outputs OpenGL, trying to do tempo and key detection on the way through. I still have that lying around and was intending to port it to the mac and wire it up to the Alpha, but if there's something out there that will do this for me I might reconsider. Of course if it's costly I might stick to my home brew version...!

On a similar note, I'm a big fan of the guys at www.animusic.com if anyone else has heard of this. Their visuals are ray traced offline, but it means you can have effects starting before the note sounds, so they have video with a circular vibraphone, played by hitting the notes with ball bearings that are fired out of a pipe in the middle... great to watch.

written by: Tenebrous

Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:18:32 +0000 GMT

I've seen those Animusic videos, they're very clever! For anyone who hasn't seen any, here's a link to one on youtube: Pipe Dream

Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:55:16 +0000 GMT

Pipe Dream is quite neat.

RAX (http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/rax/) has a visualizer... a few of the presets are interesting and it will learn whatever you want to track via MIDI

written by: geert

Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:04:30 +0000 GMT

The visualizer is made by Hexstatic in Quartz Composer. It's driven through midi from EigenD and I think that Eigenlabs are now licensing these visualizers to be included in a future version of EigenD. That's also one of the reasons why the latest unstable release has an Eigenlabs virtual midi interface. This makes it much easier to hook up to the Quartz Composer files.

written by: 0beron

Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:18:40 +0000 GMT

It seems eigenlabs have once again thought of everything... excellent!

written by: catoro

Fri, 26 Mar 2010 21:03:36 +0000 GMT

Hi guys... if you want to start experimenting, i've found s a pretty easy to follow tutorial on how to move a 3D cube using audio input (volume peaks).

I know is pretty simple, but I believe it could be a starting point ...

Moving a 3D cube

Quartz is really simple to learn, yet powerful enough to do pretty cool things.

Cheers

Carlos

written by: bluedonkey

Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:40:31 +0100 BST

Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:39:54 +0100 BST

A deeper system than quartz composer would be Dave Griffith's open source project

Fluxus home page

It can take both osc and midi information and drive arbitrary parameters for anything within the scheme program.
It's much more imposing but can achieve some wild things.

Here's a tutorial of Dave demoing some simple Fluxus stuff. It was designed as a live coding system so the code is often exposed, but I believe you can turn it off.

Fluxus tutorial

Cheers

Kevin

written by: catoro

Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:06:07 +0100 BST

@Kevin... this is really cool!! thanks for the info! I've been doing some experiments with openCV in my work (I do research on computer graphics) but this Fluxus looks interesting for interactive graphics.

I believe that quartz potential is the easiness of use, the negative point is that it is only available for Mac OS.

Cheers.

Carlos

Mon, 29 Mar 2010 23:36:27 +0100 BST

The other more powerful system for graphics and live stuff is Houdini.

houdini

Its available free for non profit work on osx, linux, and xp

it has a similar node based approach to as quartz composer, BUT it is a very very mature graphics system (multiple Holywood fx houses relying on Houdini). I have been wanting to post up some experiments with Houdini and the Pico for some time. Sadly the midi input for osx is broken at present ( though sidefx are aware of the problem ) so my experiments with the pico and Houdini are scuppered until either eigend is released on windows (the midi inputs work)or sidefx fix the midi input node on osx.

Saying this , once one of those things resolves itself then I'll post some tutorials and files on how to get going with Houdini live graphics

Be careful though. Houdini is very addictive . I've been using it professionally for over 10 years and still don't know areas of the software. Once you understand how things work you will never want to use another animation package. It lets you do things easily that another graphics package would be impossible. The only problem with it is how huge it is.

All the best

Kevin

Tue, 30 Mar 2010 06:30:25 +0100 BST

@kevin, I think that the appeal of Quartz Composer is that it's free and ships with each OSX. Houdini requires another investment of money.

Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:20:37 +0100 BST

Houdini can be free,

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=589&Itemid=221

They have an educational version that's fully functional.
I just remember Quarts composer being pretty limited in its 3D capacity.

Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:22:18 +0100 BST

Houdini Apprentice

Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:24:39 +0100 BST

Ah, cool, shame their MIDI stuff is broken on Mac then!

Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:48:17 +0100 BST

I deal with Sidefx most days . I'll report back when it gets fixed. Though i suspect between EigenD and Houdini you'd probably kill a single computer so you could go the eigend on an osx and Houdini on xp route for now.

Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:45:30 +0100 BST

In one of the various interviews I seem to recall mention that the Hexstatic visualizer was now shipping with the eigenharp. Is that true? Will it be added to the SW downloads?

cheers, m

Please log in to join the discussions