Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: The time for OSC support is now

Most Recent

written by: barnone

Just a couple of ideas since we are on the topic.

It would be amazing to be able to use belacanto to register and bind an osc path to a parameter in eigenD. For example suppose you wanted to control FX1 send level via OSC.

register osc path "/osc/FX1/sendlevel" to FX1 send. Now eigenD will instantiate an OSC listener that responds to this osc message. I guess this could also be done in a mapping file statically so that you can create maps of OSC messages to parameters in eigenD.

In that way, we could write our own interfaces to control eigenD in elegant ways, we could share these patches in MAX or M4L or whatever and it would ease the load on your dev team.

for outbound OSC, a mapping file where you can map controllers and such to whatever OSC messages you want would be ideal.

The exception to that would be for NOTE events and midi over OSC where a standard protocol such as what is proposed by Symboliic Sound would make a lot more sense.

I realize this is not the highest priority but it doesn't hurt to start floating these ideas now.

When eigenD is Open-Sourced, maybe you can get help from the community.

Mon, 8 Mar 2010 16:48:33 +0000 GMT

Create Digital Music blog just wrote up an article about OSC support.

Doesn't the most advanced musical instrument deserve OSC?

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/03/08/osc-kyma-ipad-and-beyond/comment-page-1/#comment-1035323

eigenD should advertise itself via osc bonjour. It should also be able to discover osc bonjour clients.

May not be on your short list but I really hope that vendors that support OSC talk with each other to come up with some decent standards for direct OSC note data and midi over OSC.

written by: john

Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:02:01 +0000 GMT

It's on the list, and somewhere towards the top. We're a bit maxed out right now with Windows and the new GUI stuff, so it's not going to happen in the next few weeks, but we'll keep you posted.

John

Mon, 8 Mar 2010 17:54:11 +0000 GMT

Thanks John,

That's all I wanted to hear was that you guys have it on your radar somewhere.

Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:10:31 +0000 GMT

Just a couple of ideas since we are on the topic.

It would be amazing to be able to use belacanto to register and bind an osc path to a parameter in eigenD. For example suppose you wanted to control FX1 send level via OSC.

register osc path "/osc/FX1/sendlevel" to FX1 send. Now eigenD will instantiate an OSC listener that responds to this osc message. I guess this could also be done in a mapping file statically so that you can create maps of OSC messages to parameters in eigenD.

In that way, we could write our own interfaces to control eigenD in elegant ways, we could share these patches in MAX or M4L or whatever and it would ease the load on your dev team.

for outbound OSC, a mapping file where you can map controllers and such to whatever OSC messages you want would be ideal.

The exception to that would be for NOTE events and midi over OSC where a standard protocol such as what is proposed by Symboliic Sound would make a lot more sense.

I realize this is not the highest priority but it doesn't hurt to start floating these ideas now.

When eigenD is Open-Sourced, maybe you can get help from the community.

Please log in to join the discussions