Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Any way to change the default scales automatically while loading?

Most Recent

written by: geert

@LAYER8, if I'm not mistaken, this is already present in the underlying Belcanto/EigenD layer. It just needs to be exposed somehow.

written by: johanhenselmans

Thu, 4 Mar 2010 15:55:10 +0000 GMT

I have just reconfigured my pico to have a keyboard layout of

R1R2R3R4R5R6R7R8L1L2L3L4L5L6L7L8

which is a lot better for me.

The standard major scale now runs

C D E F G A B C' D' E' F' G' A' B' C'' D'',
in this setting from top to bottom and right to left.
But I want:
C D E F G A B C' C' D' E' F' G' A' B' C'',

so I have two scales in parallel.

I think my brains and fingers will much easier get used to such a setting. I don't need the extra D, with the fast octave switching.

Of course I can adopt all the scales in Library/Eigenlabs/Scale Manarger/User Scales.txt., but I'd rather prefer not to change more of the default settings than necessary.

Is there a script way that would do this trick, so that I load my keyboard mapping, which would also take care that I have two scales running parrallel on the keyboard, something like:

duplicate the 8th scale value
insert the copy before 9th value,
remove 17th dummy value
from scale
load this scale

etc, for all the scales?

written by: stuwyatt

Thu, 4 Mar 2010 17:43:03 +0000 GMT

I think it might be quite hard to this. The problem is that you won't be guaranteed a duplicate octave run by using the factory Pico scales - even with remapping the keyboard using the ascending/descending scripts. If you select some of the more obscure scales, you'll notice that the shift becomes more than one note between the two strips. This is due to the scales being 5, 6, 7 or 8 steps - which are the repeated further up the keypmap (if that makes sense). Any scripts would have to have different procedures depending on how many notes are in the scale.

I'm the same as you - I prefer two strips running up that are an octave apart, and while I am experimenting with the new keyboard mapping using the scripts to see if I can get used to them, I might have to end up programming a load more scales.

written by: johanhenselmans

Thu, 4 Mar 2010 21:01:22 +0000 GMT

Perhaps it might be possible to reduce the number of keys that are used in a specific scale,
so that in a 8 step scale keys 1-7 would be used, and in a 6 steps scale keys 1-5 (assuming this means the scales work in parallel.

If the scales would map on the keys, they would automatically be assigned to the available keys, and our wish of two scales in parallel would be possible for all scales.

You'd have to have some variable that would say: scale repeats itself after so and so many intervals, and use that to assign the number of keys on each side.

Feature request?

written by: LAYER8

Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:48:57 +0100 BST

So what we need is a meta layer that allows defining a sort order to the key layout. The keys on the Pico would have a fixed naming, say A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R. Then there would be a config file where the key order is defined, e.g. A,B,C,D,J,K,L,M,N,E,F,G,H,I,O,P,Q,R. Based on this key order the scale definition could be done independently. You would just change the key order and affect all the available scales immediately.

written by: geert

Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:50:25 +0100 BST

@LAYER8, if I'm not mistaken, this is already present in the underlying Belcanto/EigenD layer. It just needs to be exposed somehow.

Please log in to join the discussions