Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Belcanto from external source?

Most Recent

written by: GoneCaving

Yes, i think that's what's happening. BTW, there are a number of Eigenharp users over on https://community.polyexpression.com/
These include TheTechnoBear who's done some good work with the Eigenharp software.

written by: Peter Ostry

Tue, 9 Jul 2019 01:12:45 +0100 BST

So far I understand, Belcanto is a language made of note phrases. I want to send these notes from other programs like Max or Logic.

For a first test I went to Workbench and connected "midi input 1 / key output" to "interpreter 1 / key input" just because this looks logical. Now, when I send a note #59 (B) from the external program, the metronome starts and stops (toggle) and the light on the Pico goes green/red. But it should react to 2 notes in series, not just one. I think I am not in Belcanto yet, and the metronome plays just by accidence, correct?

How is the cabling in Workbench to receive notes as Belcanto phrases?

written by: john

Tue, 9 Jul 2019 16:17:28 +0100 BST

Belcanto phrases can be single notes, a phrase is terminated with a louder note and one note on its own can be a valid phrase. Here is a useful explanation:

http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.1/The_Belcanto_Introduction/

Depending on what your midi is connected to you could get varying results. it sounds like you might have the MIDI In connected to a talker (which can 'say' Belcanto phrases, initiated from a single note trigger, or a single Eigenharp keypress which can be very useful). I seem to remember the basic Pico setup has a note configured in this way to start and stop the metronome amongst other things, that my be what you are hearing. I don't have a EigenD loaded on this conputer ut you could have a look in Workbench to see if the MIDI in is connected to a Talker, if it i then that's what's turning the metronome on and off.

When I'm back in civilisation I'll have a look at the setup and give you a bettter reply.

John

Wed, 10 Jul 2019 08:41:48 +0100 BST

The Pico factory setup has the "midi Input 1" "key output" connected to the "midi Input controller" and from there, the "connector21" output is connected to "metronome controller 1" which has a single action for toggling the metronome.

I'm a bit rusty, and there doesn't seem to be much ion the way of docs on the Controller agent. How does this specify an action on a single MIDI note?

Wed, 10 Jul 2019 08:48:46 +0100 BST

Ah, connector21 has specified col=1, row=59.

written by: Peter Ostry

Wed, 10 Jul 2019 17:08:34 +0100 BST

@GoneCaving
Ah, maybe row 59 in connector21 means a note. At least note 59 is a B and this is what triggers the metronome when I send it from outside. So I wasn't talking Belcanto in my test, but just sent a preconfigured note for metronome start/stop.

@John
Actually I don't want to switch the Pico with it's own keys or by sending single notes from an external source. I rather want to send plain Belcanto note phrases from a program or a controller. Is this possible?

If yes, how is the cabling (beginning from the MIDI input) to let EigenD translate those incoming MIDI notes to Belcanto phrases and interpret them? Maybe the "Interpreter" is involved in some way?

If I had an example Workbench-patch that lets me play notes on the Pico as arbitrary Belcanto phrases, I am probably able to figure out how to do it from an external source. In the Docs is a script that promises exactly this function but it does not run. Looks incompatible.

Thu, 11 Jul 2019 13:42:53 +0100 BST

Yes, i think that's what's happening. BTW, there are a number of Eigenharp users over on https://community.polyexpression.com/
These include TheTechnoBear who's done some good work with the Eigenharp software.

Please log in to join the discussions