Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Running out of user setups

Most Recent

written by: barnone

[edit] - removed previous post -

Removed this post since went back and reread this thread from the beginning.

I really think it's time for a document that describes how belcanto works and is structured as a language.

I also hope that there is some decent feedback (planned in the future at least) on the instrument to help. For example, picking a belcanto phrase in the new GUI and having the pattern light up on the Alpha or in an on screen graphic of the instrument (in pico case especially). It's really important to help users learn these skills rather than presenting a steep cliff right off the bat. This is not the only electronic instrument many people are using. People have to absorb a lot of technology these days. They may go months without using it and you can't expect them to remember everything.

The graphic of notes on a staff is marginally helpful especially if you are not used to reading music.

What's the feedback going to be if you got a phrase right? What if you got it wrong?

I'm interested, excited yet also a little fearful in how this is going to work in practice.

Communication is good though, keep the information coming and especially let's take the wraps off this language earlier rather than later.

written by: geert

Tue, 9 Mar 2010 17:56:17 +0000 GMT

Thanks again for a great explanation John, I knew all this but I think that my frustration currently stems from being stuck between a rock and a hard place. We can't use EigenD as you have been using it, and the user-friendly and streamlined interface hasn't been released yet. So as we continue to be more proficient with the Eigenharp, this status quo becomes a problem ... and I suppose that we should just be patient. However, as most humans, I'm impatient by nature :-)

written by: john

Tue, 9 Mar 2010 18:00:57 +0000 GMT

Hi Geert

I'll ask Sam to put an interpreter input keygroup into one of the unstable setups. You can have a go at Belcanto for real then, played as notes, just as long as you promise not to moan at me about how hard it is! It does take a few weeks to pick up.

John

Tue, 9 Mar 2010 18:06:38 +0000 GMT

Hi John,

Thanks a lot, I'd really appreciate that. I'm not going to moan ... I don't mind learning difficult things. For instance, I learned to type on this device after many months of practice, just because I found it cool and understood the benefits of being able to type with my hands in a vertical position while standing up. I've been using the Alphagrip for all typing tasks (including coding) for several years now and frequently switch between that, a regular keyboard and my Fingerworks Touchstream LP.

I really appreciate your forthcomingness.

Take care,

Geert

written by: sam

Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:11:41 +0000 GMT

Hi Geert,

We need to make a few refinements to the Commander to fully support Belcanto typed from the Eigenharp keyboard, so it will be a couple of days before we release the setups with an interpreter keygroup.

I will keep you posted on our progress.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:28:18 +0000 GMT

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the update. Will you be releasing an interim release with other improvements. As you guys know, I'm waiting for quite a large number of fixes and refinements.

Thanks,

Geert

written by: barnone

Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:54:40 +0000 GMT

[edit] - removed previous post -

Removed this post since went back and reread this thread from the beginning.

I really think it's time for a document that describes how belcanto works and is structured as a language.

I also hope that there is some decent feedback (planned in the future at least) on the instrument to help. For example, picking a belcanto phrase in the new GUI and having the pattern light up on the Alpha or in an on screen graphic of the instrument (in pico case especially). It's really important to help users learn these skills rather than presenting a steep cliff right off the bat. This is not the only electronic instrument many people are using. People have to absorb a lot of technology these days. They may go months without using it and you can't expect them to remember everything.

The graphic of notes on a staff is marginally helpful especially if you are not used to reading music.

What's the feedback going to be if you got a phrase right? What if you got it wrong?

I'm interested, excited yet also a little fearful in how this is going to work in practice.

Communication is good though, keep the information coming and especially let's take the wraps off this language earlier rather than later.

Please log in to join the discussions