Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Breath Pipe & Strip Controller Ideas

Most Recent

written by: catoro

this is the link Rounds in this one the experiment was less guitar style but you can definitely hear the difference in using effects.
I´m going to upload something more guitar-like pretty soon (not for the contest itself but just for fun)... I´ll keep you posted.

Cheers.

Carlos

written by: justbobpro

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 05:33:09 +0000 GMT

I would love to see a Pico setup where the breath pipe and strip controller were changing the FX send volumes up and down while playing. This would be very useful with the samplers and audio units.

For example, if I have reverb or delay as my audio FX send 1 and I want to just have one note or a chord delay for a while, I could just blow into the breath pipe until I wanted it to go back to it's programmed setting. As of right now, the breath pipe and strip controller are pretty much useless on the samplers.

One other idea with the strip controller would be to have it not revert to center when you take your finger off in the midi and audio unit modes. If you have it set to turn up or down a knob in Alchemy the knob would just stay where you leave it when you take your finger off instead of reverting back to the default .

I love my Pico and I can't wait for it to mature into it's potential.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 05:49:16 +0000 GMT

I was showing the Pico to one of my friends and he was suggesting one button chords would be a great idea. So you would set the key (ie C major as default) and then you could have the top 8 keys play the chords that correspond with the notes and the bottom 8 keys could be just single notes.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 10:25:22 +0000 GMT

I guess this will be possible in the near future via Belcanto. at the time being I use ableton live doing a midi message mapping to the AU in a channel with the eigenharp output passing thru.
I guess that you can use Bidule also...

Cheers.

Carlos

written by: geert

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 14:05:39 +0000 GMT

With the Bidule FX plugin you can totally automate the volume of audio units that you use as effects using any of EigenD's controllers. I've been doing that for many things.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:04:19 +0000 GMT

Are you guys using these with the midi output? If so, my only complaint is that you lose the ability to bend individual notes via midi. Or maybe I'm doing this wrong.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:05:13 +0000 GMT

Yes, there's not much that can be done about that, MIDI doesn't support this at all.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:45:01 +0000 GMT

One idea I just had would be to forward the sound of a sampler via soundflower through something and have just the audio of the sampler be processed through your audio unit plugins externally but have them controlled via midi. Essentially you would have both your sample instrument on the pico playing simultaneously with your midi... if this is even possible.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:54:51 +0000 GMT

@justbobpro, I'm not sure what you're thinking of. You can use the Inline FX Control to put an AU plugin on a sampler. I put a Bidule FX AU plugin there and then am able to create any chain of effects that I want inside Bidule for a sampler instruments. That is how I'm doing electric guitar solos with the Pico. Is that what you're after?

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:06:34 +0000 GMT

I guess what I am trying to do is to be able to bend individual notes but still have control of the FX units via the breath pipe and strip controller. The best of both worlds really.

My idea was to have the audio of what I am playing be generated by the soundfont/sampler in the pico and to just use midi to control the FX. It seems like this could be done my simply selecting multiple channels (ie sampler 1 and midi). The catch would be that you wouldn't have any audio generated by the midi; just using midi to control the effects.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:21:19 +0000 GMT

@justbobpro In my latest video I use my podx3 midi capabilities for triggering, i did route the output and process the sounds with the pod X3, but I´ve found that using pod farm is better as I don´t need external cables.
I´ve been processing audio coming from the eigenharp via amplitube and with the rhodes sound and a good distortion you get a quite straightforward distortion rock guitar kind of thing.

cheers.

Carlos

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:35:30 +0000 GMT

@catoro That sounds like it would be fun to mess with. Do you have a link to your video?

For some dumb reason, I hadn't really thought of using the Pico with external controllers and effects units.

Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:03:29 +0000 GMT

this is the link Rounds in this one the experiment was less guitar style but you can definitely hear the difference in using effects.
I´m going to upload something more guitar-like pretty soon (not for the contest itself but just for fun)... I´ll keep you posted.

Cheers.

Carlos

Please log in to join the discussions