Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Headphone mix

Most Recent

written by: davidk

Hello all,

Focusaurus here is some Belcanto to make the headphone sends pre-fader. Just put this in Eigencommander and hit enter...

"console mixer hey"
"channel X headphone prefader set"

(to make it post-fader again say "channel X headphone prefader un set")

This will make the headphone volume and the output volume independent. Replace X with the channel number you need -

Sampler 1 = channel 1
Sampler 2 = 2
Sampler 3 = 3
Sampler 4 = 4
Audio Unit 1 = 5
Audio Unit 2 = 6
Audio Unit 3 = 7
Audio Unit 4 = 8
Cello = 9
Clarinet = 10
Synth = 11
Drummer = 12
Clicker = 24

B3C4553 its now possible to make the metronome start/stop key flash on the beat. Type this in to Eigencommander...

"metronome hey"
"beat persistence flash to 100 set"

100 refers to how long in milliseconds the key will flash for.

All the best,

Dave

written by: 0beron

Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:00:28 +0000 GMT

Was playing with the headphone controls, to replicate an effect I saw used to great effect on stage once - I was aiming to get the metronome click in the headphones, but not in the main output mix from EigenD, by lowering the main mixer drummer volume to zero, and setting the headphone drummer volume to something that only I can hear. It seems that the headphone volume is in series with the main volume rather than parallel, so reducing the main drummer volume makes it always inaudible over the headphones too.

The effect I saw on stage was a live band playing a few repetitions of a song on their instrument as normal, and then being joined later by an Apple mac playing bass and percussion all without missing a beat. This was made possible by all the musicians receiving a click track on a set of in ear monitors.

Interestingly I'm sure I saw Finlay demo something like this on the interview he did for G4TV, in which he plays a few bars of synth and then fades in the EigenD drummer using the strip controller. Can he remember how this was accomplished?

written by: 0beron

Thu, 18 Mar 2010 11:50:21 +0000 GMT

Just thought I'd resurrect this post as it's dropped a long way down the list. Is decoupling the headphone mix from the main one going to take another software release, or can I manage it with Bel Canto?

written by: sam

Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:39:53 +0000 GMT

Hi,

Thanks for your posting. This feature (a pre-fader listen) is on our feature list, and I will keep you posted on our progress.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

written by: barnone

Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:27:26 +0000 GMT

I have another question about this. Really a headphone mix is meant to be an artist's monitor mix on stage or in the studio. This means it needs to contain more audio than what is generated just by eigenD. It usually includes a wet vocal mix + maybe backing instruments etc. When I'm sending midi to a DAW or another device, that audio is also not going through eigenD.

I was hoping that the headphone port on the Alpha was just another virtual audio device on the computer so that I can send my cue mix to it from my computer. I guess this is not the case currently? That would be most useful to have.

written by: sam

Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:54:50 +0100 BST

Hi barnone,

This is not currently possible within EigenD, however we agree with the idea and will put it on our feature list.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

written by: focusaurus

Sun, 3 Apr 2011 02:26:24 +0100 BST

Any update 1 year later? Having a headphone-only click track seems essential to record some looped bass tracks and then seamlessly start the drummer on top of that.

written by: B3C4553

Thu, 21 Apr 2011 14:00:51 +0100 BST

Is there a way we could have a visual indicator for the same purpose? The metronome could send a visual signal through the EigenD interface. It might be simpler than to split the audio out.

written by: davidk

Thu, 21 Apr 2011 17:36:01 +0100 BST

Hello all,

Focusaurus here is some Belcanto to make the headphone sends pre-fader. Just put this in Eigencommander and hit enter...

"console mixer hey"
"channel X headphone prefader set"

(to make it post-fader again say "channel X headphone prefader un set")

This will make the headphone volume and the output volume independent. Replace X with the channel number you need -

Sampler 1 = channel 1
Sampler 2 = 2
Sampler 3 = 3
Sampler 4 = 4
Audio Unit 1 = 5
Audio Unit 2 = 6
Audio Unit 3 = 7
Audio Unit 4 = 8
Cello = 9
Clarinet = 10
Synth = 11
Drummer = 12
Clicker = 24

B3C4553 its now possible to make the metronome start/stop key flash on the beat. Type this in to Eigencommander...

"metronome hey"
"beat persistence flash to 100 set"

100 refers to how long in milliseconds the key will flash for.

All the best,

Dave

Please log in to join the discussions