Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Recording several times on one slot (sample/AU) and recorder arming.

Most Recent

written by: geert

Btw, many thanks for your Alpha contributions on the wiki 0beron, they're extremely well done! :-)

written by: 0beron

Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:54:29 +0000 GMT

Is it currently not possible to record the same instrument twice over without wiping the old recording (or priming another sample/ AU slot with a second instance of the same instrument?). I can understand why say an AU instance can only be used with one patch at a time, but if the instrument is polyphonic it ought to be possible to stack up a few layers on one instance.

Also, to replicate the sound on sound features of some pedals, is it possible to set keygroups to automatically arm their recorders, so for example you could select an 8 bar recording length, lay down a bassline and then switch to a lead instrument and play the melody in the next 8 bars without having to switch over AND arm the recorder?

written by: KaylaK

Mon, 22 Feb 2010 21:13:39 +0000 GMT

I wondered that too (recording one instrument back over itself) as it's something that is very much a part of other looping recorders ... seconding the request for that to be possible, even if it's just on the Soundfont instruments!

Tue, 23 Feb 2010 06:30:39 +0000 GMT

Same here, I've been wanting this also. It actually seems that EigenD has access to the previous takes, they're just not exposed. I think the scheduler should indicate all recordings that you made in the order of their creation, there's enough room for that, even on the Pico. There's just the issue of actually re-doing takes and throwing away those that you don't need anymore. However, this goes back a pet peeve of mine that I've had since the beginning, sometimes recordings linger around in the scheduler, even after they've been deleted from disk. Maybe Eigenlabs should add a 'scheduler delete key' (just like a mode key) that will allow you to press it and simultaneously press the recording that you want to delete. It seems to me that this is in the spirit of the rest of the Pico setup (and possibly Alpha) setup.

Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:34:47 +0000 GMT

Yes, the scheduler could do with a delete option, currently you need to exit to the recorder options to unplay all, or switch to the keygroup that originally played the take and use its unplay key.

written by: aaronw

Mon, 1 Mar 2010 18:34:17 +0000 GMT

Hi all,

Thank you for your posts. Our Software team have been talking about this subject and are planning to add a functionality that allows you to record and play back several takes per recorder within the Factory Setups.

We will keep you posted on our progress.

Regards

Aaron
Customer Services

Mon, 1 Mar 2010 18:34:21 +0000 GMT

@aaron, very cool, really looking forward to this!

Mon, 1 Mar 2010 20:06:37 +0000 GMT

I'm unsure as to when the recording actually starts - is it when you first press a key? I've been playing on a borrowed Pico, and it seems that if I:
- start the metronome
- then arm an instrument for recording
- record some stuff
- then turn off the metronome
then afterwards, if I start the metronome I get several bars of drums only before my first recording take starts to replay. Shouldn't it start straightaway, or does it depend which bar the Pico thinks you started playing on?

I'm not sure the Eigenharp recordings have a concept of a global loop start/end point, they each have their own length and starting point.

Another thought that comes to mind, although it would seem to require the loops all to share a starting point, would be the ability to defer changes to the drummer, and defer re-recordings until the end of the loop. That way you can take one loop off playing to queue up a whole selection of things - eg you could toggle off your chords, queue a change to the active drummer patterns, and request a re-record of your lead instrument, leaving the bass unchanged. Everything you've queued then changes at the same time, with the lead recording dropping out, but by that time you can switch back to playing mode and jump in with the next part of the song.

written by: sam

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 13:17:25 +0000 GMT

Hi Oberon,

In answer to your questions:

1. Once the EigenD 'recorder' is armed, the recording commences once a key is pressed. Your playing will then be recorded for the desired duration, at which point the scheduler will repeat the recorded take whilst the metronome is running or until you cancel playback, either through rearming the same recorder, or by 'un play'ing the recorder. Once you restart the metronome, if the take's playback has not been cancelled, repeated playback of the take will commence from the point at which playback was initially instantiated (i.e. a unique 'song beat position', which is a specific length of time since the start of the metronome') - therefore it does depend on what beat of the bar you recorded your take.

2. You are quite correct, each individual recorded take has its own defined start and end points.

In response to your final paragraph, we will certainly take it into account when implementing the new functionality detailed in the post above.

Many thanks,

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:29:53 +0000 GMT

Ah right.
I've now played with the recorder on my Alpha and the borrowed Pico I had for a while, and it's beginning to make sense.
I still think that having the loop start points all synch up to the first one would be a good option to have (not quite sure what the exact mechanics of this would be), since it makes more musical sense to have parts drop in/out at the start of a repetition instead of somewhere in the middle. At the moment you are forced to stagger the start points of your takes, or else wait for a whole repetition in order to start playing where you know the start of the previous take is. Playing multiple takes on the trot is difficult as you have to take time to switch instruments.

Two more thoughts, and a question occur:
Question: When you arm something for recording, what is actually being armed? Are you arming the instrument, or the keygroup on which it is being played? The Alpha has per keygroup arming controls, while the pico has per-instrument controls but I wonder if they are silently arming keygroups, with the keygroups on the Pico having a one-to-one mapping to instruments.

Thoughts:
1 - it would be nice to have some kind of centralised arming controls on the Alpha, either per instrument or per keygroup depending on how the arming behaves. At the moment to arm 4 keygroups you have to go into their respective splits and prod the arm key. Having the arm keys altogether would be nice to arm 4 or 5 things at once like you can on the Pico.

2 - This depends on how arming works, but it would be nice to be able to point the instrument selection keys at a different keygroup (much like you can point the scale selection keys at any keygroup). This way you can split the keyboard, leaving playing keys in a large keygroup, and instrument selection keys in a smaller keygroup. These selection keys would point at the larger playing keygroup. Then you can arm several instruments (i.e. this requires that an instrument be the thing that is being armed, not the keygroup), then play one take. As the take comes to an end, you can use one keypress on an instrument selection key and immediately start the next take.

Thinking about this, maybe a better way would be to have some way of swapping between splits with a single keypress, that way you could put one instrument per split, arm all of the keygroups, and then at the start of a new loop you can select the split quickly and have everything ready (instrument, arming status, octave settings etc.).

written by: sam

Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:05:05 +0000 GMT

Hi,

In the Factory Setups recording works on a per instrument basis. Therefore in the Alpha Factory Setups you can press the record arm key within any keygroup and it will record the currently selected instrument(s) regardless of their destination.

There is a way to do what you are asking without centralised record arming controls in the Alpha Factory Setups. If you select more than one instrument within a keygroup, the 'record arm' key will work for all selected instruments - so you can arm as many instruments at once as you have selected.

You could also therefore split the keyboard, arming multiple instruments in once section of the keyboard whilst playing in others.

I hope this is the information you needed - please let me know if you need any more clarification.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:43:10 +0000 GMT

Thanks, that clears things up a lot. Good candidate to stick on the wiki too....

Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:46:02 +0000 GMT

0beron said:
Thanks, that clears things up a lot. Good candidate to stick on the wiki too....

Feel free to put it on the EigenZone wiki :-)

Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:50:28 +0000 GMT

That's the idea :)

Wed, 17 Mar 2010 06:45:37 +0000 GMT

Btw, many thanks for your Alpha contributions on the wiki 0beron, they're extremely well done! :-)

Please log in to join the discussions