Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Global tuning control

Most Recent

written by: john

It's not in the current Testing. It's currently a little way down the feature ticket queue, not scheduled until the autumn as it stands. I'll ask Jim if it can be put into the new Unstable branch that's just started a little sooner.

John

written by: 0beron

Mon, 22 Feb 2010 13:32:54 +0000 GMT

Does EigenD have the facility to apply a global tuning adjustment to the output? I've played the Yamaha WX5 wind controller in the same group for years, and the acoustic instruments change pitch if they're warmed up, or if the room is cold etc so I end up using the tuning controls a lot to stay with them.
Is there a similar feature in EigenD, or is my Alpha going to be stuck at A=440 ?

Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:42:27 +0000 GMT

EigenD does not have a 'master tune' at present. This is because (being honest here) we forgot. Joe is going to add a parameter to the scalers for you sometime in the next couple of weeks so that in Belcanto you will be able to say:

'all scaler listen'
'tune up' (goes up 1 Hz)

or 'tune down' (goes down 1Hz)

or 'tune to 440 set'

for example. Sam will add a trio of talker keys to the Alpha standard setup that do these phrases for you.

As this is a new feature, it will be added to the Unstable branch (which is due to have a feature freeze and become the Testing release shortly).

John

Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:49:03 +0000 GMT

Thanks, that would be grand. I remember that the VL70m module I use with the WX does the adjustment in 100ths of tone (I think - I'm not positive that's the unit), and usually about 6 or 7 100ths are a perceptible change in tuning. If the distance between A 440 and A flat is about 25 Hz, then a 1Hz step would strike me as a slightly too coarse resolution?

Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:31:42 +0000 GMT

Like pretty much all numbers in EigenD and Belcanto, it'll be floating point so you should be able to say something like:

'all scaler listen'
'tune to 440.5 set'

The 'up' and 'down' increment we could change if it turns out to be too coarse - when we implement this perhaps you you could try it and let us know?

John.

Mon, 17 May 2010 16:33:06 +0100 BST

Is there any news on this feature? Did it make it into the unstable branch?
I'm not too worried about talkers to control it - I'm happy to type belcanto into the commander.

Mon, 17 May 2010 16:44:34 +0100 BST

It's not in the current Testing. It's currently a little way down the feature ticket queue, not scheduled until the autumn as it stands. I'll ask Jim if it can be put into the new Unstable branch that's just started a little sooner.

John

Please log in to join the discussions