Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Educational idea for the Alpha

Most Recent

written by: geert

Another idea to keep in the back of our minds is that it would be handy to come up with a monolithic distribution format for the user setups, containing all possible data that are being used by them (apart from the audio unit plugins and soundfonts of course). Currently I think that some things are still split up, like the recordings.

Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:49:16 +0000 GMT

I was thinking about the Alpha being capable of lightening its playing keys while playing ... it could be very cool to extend the scheduler capabilities to highlight the keys while the recorded music is playing. This would allow people to publish setups with recordings for known songs. People that want to learn these songs will then simply have to play back the scheduler parts and place their fingers where the keys are being highlighted. Since the tempo can be slowed down and sped up dynamically, I think this has an awesome potential for training.

What do you think?

written by: Foveus

Sun, 21 Feb 2010 14:58:40 +0000 GMT

That would be enormously helpful .. similar to those training guitars with lighted frets.

written by: stuwyatt

Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:08:25 +0000 GMT

[Edit] I completely misread your initial post Geert. Damned fatigue.... lol

Sun, 21 Feb 2010 16:09:15 +0000 GMT

@stu, yes for the Pico it's not possible, but I think that for the Alpha and the Tau where the lights are actually triggered by the instrument electronics themselves, this could be awesome.

written by: john

Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:02:01 +0000 GMT

We've been talking about using the lights for training pruposes (for example, being able to show each scale overlaid in a chromatic keygroup) for quite a while here and the idea of playing back songs on the lights is a nice one, athough quite hard to imagine how it would work in any more than one keygroup.

You can in fact already turn lights on and off directly from Belcanto (this is how some of the Talker status lights are driven), but it's all rather clunky at present, and not efficient. The keys that light under the fingers in the Tau and Alpha are driven from firmware and data never meets the USB, so it does not load the host CPU managing this. There is no reason though that we cannot do this in the future - as EigenD is maturing it is getting more optimised (we have a lot more field data now to help us with that as well) and we are starting to have a little horsepower to spare. We also have a big push into the world of education planned this year and I think that this sort of thing will fall out of that.

John

Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:06:34 +0000 GMT

Another idea to keep in the back of our minds is that it would be handy to come up with a monolithic distribution format for the user setups, containing all possible data that are being used by them (apart from the audio unit plugins and soundfonts of course). Currently I think that some things are still split up, like the recordings.

Please log in to join the discussions