Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Sliding into a note

Most Recent

written by: michaelgr

Thanks for the suggestions. They might work for slow playing. I'll keep experimenting and share the results, and maybe make a feature request.

Sat, 20 Feb 2010 11:18:51 +0000 GMT

Hi,

I have a question about the how the keys work with respect to pitch bend. What I am trying to do is strike the key on the bottom or top end and then slide my finger to the center so that I can pitch bend into the note. It seems as if the keys are programmed to play the scale note on initial attack and then allow pitch bending immediately after the note is sounded. So sliding out of the note works perfectly.

No matter which sound I'm using I haven't been able to pitch bend into a note and I can't tell if that's because of lacking technique on my part or programming on the software side.

Thanks,
Michael

written by: stuwyatt

Sun, 21 Feb 2010 01:16:56 +0000 GMT

It is possible, but it is tricky. I've just tried using a flue sound on Alchemy, and as long as I do not touch any other key, I can slide up into the note. If you even brush the key below it, it nullifies any pitch bend data (AU samplers can only have one pitchbend level that is shared between all the notes played through that AU - and that is set from the last key pressed).

It should be easier sliding into notes using soundfounts, as each key can be individually pitched through bending.

written by: 0beron

Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:51:45 +0000 GMT

When I spoke to Dave at the roadshow in Birmingham, he hinted that the scaler used to control pitchbend for an AU could be set up to set data based on the first key pressed, instead of the last, or even an average of all the keys held. This would get round the 'brushing the kay above' problem. Maybe there's a Belcanto trick or two that would do this.

Another trick that might work (I've not tried this myself) is to set up the AU/Sampler that you are playing to respond to the breath pipe. That way you can put your finger on the key and rock it all the way up without making any sound, then when you articulate the note with the breath pipe you can slide up at that point.

Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:07:40 +0000 GMT

Thanks for the suggestions. They might work for slow playing. I'll keep experimenting and share the results, and maybe make a feature request.

Please log in to join the discussions