Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Arranger columns idea.

Most Recent

written by: Lowdene

I wonder whether the Genoqs sequencers (Octopus and Nemo) could be a good inspiration for how a fully functioning sequencer could be created. Sadly, Genoqs seems hardly to be in business any more but the Nemo has a similar amount of LED and button real estate to the Alpha. No idea about the practicalities of this - just a thought!

written by: 0beron

Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:57:19 +0000 GMT

Was playing with the arranger with Sampler 4 set to Bass as opposed to the default drum set, and ended up doing a lot of side scrolling to find the notes I wanted. How about this for a suggestion: Each arranger gets a new mode key somewhere. Holding this mode key (or maybe toggling it) puts you in a new mode, whereby each column of the eigenharp becomes a scale of playing keys all starting on the same tonic note, and proceeding in parallel down the keyboard. You toggle on a key somewhere in each column, and that becomes the note for the corresponding column back in the arranger. You could even toggle several so that each arranger column could trigger a chord as well as a single note. Even with single notes, you can space them out along the vertical length of the Alpha, and then back in the arranger those widely spaced notes will map onto the first 5 columns, meaning much less scrolling around.

This submode would also scroll sideways, and possibly vertically as well to get to higher octaves, although that might be better done with a per-column pair of octave shift keys.

Does this make sense and sound like a good idea?

written by: john

Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:52:49 +0000 GMT

Hi

This is a great idea, although the implementation that we have in mind is different in principle. There's a feature development ticket already written for a 'Sequencer' agent that is a mix between the current arranger (which uses talkers for each column and as a consequence is limited in what a note can actually be to a value and velocity, not very Eigenharp really) and our recorders. Simply put this will allow a tonic and scale to be defined in the cross axis over the courses, and each key will record the entire keypress data stream, so that notes can be fully expressive. this will allow all sorts of fun, musical sequencing, particularly if one were to define an associated Arranger that changed the scale the sequencer were playing (which could be defined to allow interesting arpeggiation and improvisiing in a more 'meta' way for example).

Speaking personally, I would like this feature very much as I've spent many many happy hours noodling around with arpeggiators, but I don't think we're going to get it before the summer as we have our hands very full at the moment with the Windows port and the new GUI's, Workbench and Stage. We'll start on it as soon as we can....

And the 'chord generator' idea is one thats been kicked around a lot here. This is a fascinating musical area, and one we haven't yet defined a good feature set for. One of my first forays into this world was creating such a thing with Brian Gaylor back in 1988. It used MIDI and a ittle 8 bit micro to do the work, and we built it for Cameron McVey who co wrote with Neneh Cherrry's partly using it I believe. It was a dinky little songwriting tool, and great fun to play with - battery powered it made its own noise so you could sit in the park and noodle about. We only ever made one, just for him, so it has to be one of the most exclusive bits of musical hardware ever. Jim Chapman, now Eigenlabs Technical Director, wrote the software in 6502 assembler which is not for the faint of heart.

It's one of those problems thats a bit more difficult than it looks at first glance, particularly when you think of how much richer a note is in Eigenharp land. Very interesting to think about though.

John

written by: 0beron

Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:20:37 +0000 GMT

Fantastic, sounds like eigenlabs is way ahead of us. I should stop badgering with feature requests I suppose and wait to see what you guys come up with :)

written by: john

Fri, 26 Feb 2010 07:50:18 +0000 GMT

Please keep the feature requests coming! They really help us to know what you want, and often show a different point of view on a problem that we have grappled with in the past - this can be very very handy. We have spent a lot of time dreaming up things we want to do with EigenD but that is by no means any guarantee that we've not missed a really good idea, or that we have attached the right level of importance to it or found the right way to solve the problem. And several of our current developments started from chance comments by players - it's always great to hear your ideas - please don't be put off if we're there already in some way - we've had nine years now to think about this stuff. That can be a good thing, but can also blind us to important issues as well...

John

written by: Lowdene

Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:03:40 +0000 GMT

I wonder whether the Genoqs sequencers (Octopus and Nemo) could be a good inspiration for how a fully functioning sequencer could be created. Sadly, Genoqs seems hardly to be in business any more but the Nemo has a similar amount of LED and button real estate to the Alpha. No idea about the practicalities of this - just a thought!

Please log in to join the discussions