Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Amplification ...

Most Recent

written by: geert

I don't know about the gig situation where you live, but here in Belgium most small venues have a horrible in house PA and almost never a monitoring system. With my band we finally gave up trying the expect acceptable gear and bought this ourselves. Now we're totally self sufficient sound-wise and we're happy we did. At least we know what we sound like and gig with a lot less stress. This even helps for the larger venues since we don't have to rely on anyone to do proper on-stage monitor mixes for each band member. We've got everything setup through in-ears and simply don't take the power speakers with us.

written by: Foveus

Sat, 30 Jan 2010 02:39:09 +0000 GMT

What is everyone using to amp their eigenharps? The in-house musicians all seem to use the Bose L1 model II with tonematch. Before I pull the trigger on one of those insanely expensive ($3000 US) amps I figured I would ask the community for suggestions.

Sat, 30 Jan 2010 08:44:54 +0000 GMT

I personally don't like the sound of the Bose L1s. I heard them when I was in London for the Pico meetup and I find they sound very muddy. I've been using RCF TT22-A active speakers for a year and they're jaw dropping. Everything I put through them sounds amazing: vocals, synth, electrical guitar, bass, drums. It lacks a bit below 90Hz since it had a rolloff there. I usually compensate in EQ but might eventually add a sub woofer.

On another note though, if you want a good sound, you also need a good soundcard. The one in a Mac just doesn't cut it. I'm using Metric Halo devices. I previously used an Apogee Duet, but much prefer Metric Halo now.

written by: stuwyatt

Sat, 30 Jan 2010 13:33:10 +0000 GMT

I've actually been quite impressed with the internal sound card of my minimac... I do have an external USB soundcard, but that is currently being used by the PC which is running Mobius live looping software. I expected a huge latency using the internal mac card, but it appears to be quite responsive.

Once I can afford a 4GB or 8GB memory upgrade for the mac, I'll use sooperlooper as a send FX and migrate the USB soundcard to the mac (and ditch the PC).

As for amplification once I start performing gigs, I'll just be using in-house PA's and monitors....

Sat, 30 Jan 2010 18:55:30 +0000 GMT

The latency is acceptable of the internal sound card, however the DA conversion isn't. I hear lots of artifacts.

written by: stuwyatt

Sun, 31 Jan 2010 03:55:53 +0000 GMT

I've been happily playing the Pico for a couple of weeks now, and it is only after you have drawn my attention to it that I can now hear the artefacts from the internal sound card. Damn... lol.... :)

I think its time to upgrade the minimac memory so that I can ditch the PC, and regain my USB sound card.

Sun, 31 Jan 2010 08:47:47 +0000 GMT

I don't know about the gig situation where you live, but here in Belgium most small venues have a horrible in house PA and almost never a monitoring system. With my band we finally gave up trying the expect acceptable gear and bought this ourselves. Now we're totally self sufficient sound-wise and we're happy we did. At least we know what we sound like and gig with a lot less stress. This even helps for the larger venues since we don't have to rely on anyone to do proper on-stage monitor mixes for each band member. We've got everything setup through in-ears and simply don't take the power speakers with us.

Please log in to join the discussions