Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Scroll Keys and 3 Bar Loops?

Most Recent

written by: barnone

Oh that's great you use sevenup. Stick it out with the pico. The expression is something the monome can't do. These instruments are incredible and we will collectively fix all the sharp edges. :)

written by: malkomalko

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:08:17 +0000 GMT

Hi there,

Just received my pico, and did the update and this thing really rocks. After going through all the videos and reading through the documentation, I'm not exactly sure what the scroll keys do.

Also, is it possible to play 3 bar loops? It's pretty limiting to have just 1/2/4/8/16/32.. and it'd be nice to be able to do define them yourself...

cheers!

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:09:27 +0000 GMT

What I'd like to see is a pattern record mode, where you don't choose the number of bars at all. I find this very limiting and non-intuitive, the way a programmer would think about it, not a musician.

Basically, tap to arm the recorder....first note starts recording pattern, tap to end. We use this on the monome and it's very powerful, you essentially tap to end the recording when the first note would repeat in the loop. This way...you never have to think about how many bars something is. You can do a variation on this where the start and end are quantized to the nearest bar.

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:12:51 +0000 GMT

Forgot to add that when you trigger a recorded loop, you can choose to have it triggered immediately or quantized to the bar. Benefit of non-quantized is that it lets you be much free and arythmic with your patterns. When you record everything quantized to the bar and trigger it quantized as well, it kind of creates stale patterms...predictable but stale.

written by: malkomalko

Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:21:24 +0000 GMT

I love your idea barnone. I'm also using a monome/launchpad with your sevenup software, and just now figuring how to throw this pico into the mix. For some reason the scroll keys don't even work.

I need to look at the forums to find any tips and tricks.

Yah!

Thu, 21 Jan 2010 05:03:27 +0000 GMT

Oh that's great you use sevenup. Stick it out with the pico. The expression is something the monome can't do. These instruments are incredible and we will collectively fix all the sharp edges. :)

Please log in to join the discussions