Forum rss-feed

Forum

Tutorials: Pico/Alpha Documentation,

Most Recent

written by: geert

Thanks David, feel free to contribute to the wiki wherever you feel inspired :-)

written by: RebelliousUno

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:31:55 +0000 GMT

So there's a lot of video tutorials and the like available ,mostly for the Pico and there are some sporadic PDFs (quick references) and explainations on how to do various things with the Pico. But do people think it would be worth writing some community documentation in a Wiki type format to gather these sorts of things together as people figure out how to do various things with it.

Could be a valuable source for the beginner who is thrown in quite litterally at the deep end not knowing much about their instrument and how to get the best out of it?

It could also be useful for official documentation as and when it's cleaned up and useable for external release?

Just a thought.

Matt

written by: GoneCaving

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:08:39 +0000 GMT

I'd been thinking along similar lines. I think a wiki would be an excellent resource.

D

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:11:07 +0000 GMT

Me too. A few months again Eigenlabs was hinting that they'd set one up. Since this hasn't happened yet, I volunteer to set one up at http://eigenzone.org

What do you think? Any favorites? I've heard a lot of good about MediaWiki.

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:42:40 +0000 GMT

Setting one up there would be good

I've used several MediaWiki set ups when I was working to try to get various software projects being documented. Its pretty easy to use and set up and its the same software which wikipedia runs on so its got that familiarity to it as well.

I think it can turn out to be a worthwhile piece of documentation and become a useful resource for the community

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:45:25 +0000 GMT

Kewl, I'll set one up at http://wiki.eigenzone.org over the weekend :-)

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:49:36 +0000 GMT

Excellent, if you need anything setup wise feel free to prod me over the weekend :) Dunno if you've done any wiki editing or what not in the past but I'm sure people can throw in help there too :)

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:55:37 +0000 GMT

I'll have no trouble for the setup, done enough of things things over the years ... for putting in content, I'm counting on everyone here to help a hand. :-)

written by: catoro

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:56:56 +0000 GMT

MediaWiki is really cool and very easy to set up...

carlos

written by: barnone

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:14:53 +0000 GMT

+1

keep it open too for reading by the public. I still don't agree with the decision to close the forums to at least being read by the public.

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:23:11 +0000 GMT

I'm planning on making it a real public wiki. So yes, the information will be available for everyone, and everyone will be able to contribute. I'll probably need help moderating after a while though since I can already see the spammers arrive in hordes :-/

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:27:27 +0000 GMT

I'm happy to help with moderating etc if needs be

requiring registration before editing will clear away a lot of the spammers (but not all) and seems to be a reasonable request for a wiki really

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 17:54:33 +0000 GMT

Ok, I couldn't wait and installed MediaWiki at http://wiki.eigenzone.org

I'll be configuring it gradually but if you have any good ideas, go ahead and start filling it up. Looking for a nice theme now. For unregistered users a captcha will be shown before an edit is allowed, this doesn't happen for registered users.

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 18:17:32 +0000 GMT

Found the configuration setting to prevent anonymous edits, so now everyone can read but people have to register before contributing content. The registration requires a captcha though.

Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:04:35 +0000 GMT

Looks good, have created an account there now :)

Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:06:11 +0000 GMT

Ok, started to structure the wiki a bit and I also reconfigured it to have short and stable URLs.

written by: catoro

Sat, 16 Jan 2010 15:18:33 +0000 GMT

Great job Geert... I´m in!!
ps. check under the drop down menu, the tau instrument is misspelled ;)

cu.

Carlos

Sat, 16 Jan 2010 16:42:33 +0000 GMT

Thanks, fixed! :-)

Feel free to add information as you see fit, or to change structure, or whatever :-)

Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:21:41 +0000 GMT

Added some more information about the Wiki platform and architecture, including how HA and backups are done, in case people are interested:
http://wiki.eigenzone.org/wiki/Eigenzone:About

People, for this wiki to work, it needs contributions. I personally don't have enough time to make many regular changes to it. So, please be brave and help out whenever you have a moment. This resource will only become useful once we as a community really start collaborating on it.

Take care,

Geert

written by: 0beron

Tue, 16 Feb 2010 02:23:47 +0000 GMT

Hello folks, my Alpha turned up today and I've spent the evening playing with it. I agree that the quick start guide and reference material is a bit thin on the ground, so in an effort to try and start memorising the various setup modes the Alpha can be in, I've started in on a few additions to the eigenzone wiki. I'm beginning to think what I've written so far would better be filed under 'reference' as opposed to sitting on the main Alpha page, not sure yet

Tue, 16 Feb 2010 06:34:22 +0000 GMT

Hi 0beron, your contributions to the wiki are much appreciated. Feel free to shuffle things around as you wish in the wiki, nothing's set in stone :-)

Please log in to join the discussions