Forum rss-feed

Forum

Tutorials: Tutorials for beginners?

Most Recent

written by: Max

Hi
l Love my Harp!!
I also have a PC W7 machine.
I know that you get a lot of whiny e-PLEASES about platforms. I simply have 2 questions.
1. Will PC catch up - soon? I know you are busting hump to get it to parity with MAC. Thank You all!!!
2. How about a Mac Emulator? Pretty sure that has been tried . . ?????
Bless you all!
Greatest instrument I have ever heard!!!!
Kudos!!

written by: LAYER8

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 12:13:11 +0000 GMT

I am a beginner with music instruments and therefore missing some entry level content for the absolute beginner:

- practice guides for e.g. fingering
- how do I use sheet music - am I supposed to transpose while playing? This sound more complicated then using a classic keyboard

As the Pico has clearly been positioned for beginners as well, I am hoping for some more guidance in this area.

written by: geert

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 12:36:32 +0000 GMT

Hi,

I've started creating some of these and posted them here: http://eigenzone.org/

If there's anything in particular you want to learn, feel free to leave me a message at Eigenzone on one of the posts. I'll try to take this into account for future videos.

Hope this helps,

Geert

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 14:11:23 +0000 GMT

Thanks Geert,

I've seen eigenzone.org and find it really helpful. Especially for my second point I have no idea yet. Setting the Pico to a defined scale seems to be a very powerful feature, but it seems to backfire when confronted with existing sheet music.

I'd wish Eigenlabs to engage with music teaching professionals to develop a learning concept for novices on the Pico. A community effort like what you started may be a great addition, but may be not enough for the total novice.

Cheers, Arnd

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 14:27:08 +0000 GMT

Hi Arnd,

It depends on what kind of existing sheet music you're talking about. With the limited amount of keys on the Pico, it's not possible to play most of the piano pieces for instance, certainly not when you're using the chromatic scale since you're essentially limited to one octave. There's only so much that can be done with 18 keys. I don't think anyone is switching scales on the fly in the middle of a musical phrase and switching back, this simply takes too much time.

However, there are some developments underway at Eigenlabs to allow you to play more notes in the future by combining keys. This will make it more difficult to play though since you need to coordinate better and playing chords in that mode feels like it would be almost impossible. Actually, I'm treating the Pico as a monophonic instrument and consider every polyphonic arrangement that I'm able to play on it as a nice plus.

Just as every instrument, the Pico has its limitations and in time appropriate sheet music will come out. I'm going to start looking for songs that are playable on it for additional tutorials. A lot of them will probably rely on some capabilities of virtual instruments (like strumming and auto chord selection in Strum Acoustic GS-1).

Personally, I have no problems with this limitation since I mostly create and play original music and I find that boundaries make me more creative since I have to rely on feeling more than on theory. So I've been mostly composing songs on the Pico. That doesn't mean that I'm not longing for an Alpha though ;-)

Take care,

Geert

written by: Tones2

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 16:25:53 +0000 GMT

The number of playing keys limitations has been a real deal breaker for me here. It was fun at the beginning to fool around, but with no real way to get accidentals and limited to 2 octaves even when sticking to straight scales (it's too hard to switch octaves using the buttons on the fly), it's become a toy for me of late rather than an instrument. It's certainly nearly impossble to play any notated piano pieces (i've found maybe 2 or three that I can kinda play), but even as a monophonic improvisational instrument I feel very stuck and tend to repeat things over and over.

I hope something is done soon to be able to get on the fly accidentals and be able to use those last two scroll keys as playing keys while still maintaining polyphonic play. It would also be nice to scroll the octave rather than shift the next note to the top with the octave keys in some manner.

I've considered buying the Alpha for the additional keys, but before I pay $6000, I have to know that the software was SIGNIFICANTLY improved. I also have to get some better information on the layout of the Alpha to make sure there are no unpleasant "surprises". But what I REALLY wish for is an instrument somewhere BETWEEN the Pico and Alpha - maybe with 6 banks of 8 keys (48 in total) that's playable and sized somewhat like the Pico but considerably less money than the Alpha. I can dream - can't I?

Tony

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 17:20:00 +0000 GMT

Hi Tony,

The exact same software is used for all Eigenharps, so what you get with the Pico will be there with the Alpha, the Alpha just allows you to do more and have additional features like the step sequencer.

Read this link and the last sentence, maybe it gets you dreaming even more :-)
http://www.slipperybrick.com/2009/12/eigenharp-to-make-official-us-debut/

Take care,

Geert

written by: Tones2

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 18:15:30 +0000 GMT

gbevin said:
Hi Tony,

The exact same software is used for all Eigenharps, so what you get with the Pico will be there with the Alpha, the Alpha just allows you to do more and have additional features like the step sequencer.

Read this link and the last sentence, maybe it gets you dreaming even more :-)
http://www.slipperybrick.com/2009/12/eigenharp-to-make-official-us-debut/

Take care,

Geert

I already know that it's the same software. My question is regarding the functionality of the key layout of the Alpha HARDWARE.

And WOW - That's the first time I've heard about a new INSTRUMENT. Hopefully, that will be exactly what I'm looking for! :)

I think I'll start a new post on the latter.

Thanks,

Tony

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 18:31:55 +0000 GMT

The key layout of the alpha is totally awesome. I played it for about an hour and I can't stop thinking about it :-)

What I like about it is that just as with a guitar, the notes repeat themselves across the rows, so you get duplicate notes on the fingerboard, but you can use the most appropriate fingering based on where you are and what you want to play. You can also split the keyboard easily in different independent parts that have their own mode keys and octave keys. IIRC the split can be 1, 2, 3, 4 by default with larger and smaller areas depending on which instrument you find the most important.

The hardware is imho also better suited for the actual keys and fingerboard since you're typically playing it to the side of your head/torso, so you can glance at it easily even while blowing the breathpipe. The latter is something that's not that comfortable with the Pico.

What I also liked is that since it has a spike, it rests on the floor and you have no weight at all pulling down on your body. I wasn't able to try out the strap since the final version wasn't ready yet.

Hope this helps you, probably not, but you never know :-)

Sat, 30 Jan 2010 22:02:25 +0000 GMT

I think me mentioning sheet music got this thread a bit off track. My intention was more asking for tutorials that really help those who are not only beginners with the Eigenharp, but also beginners with playing an instrument.

written by: Max

Sat, 2 Oct 2010 10:04:22 +0100 BST

Hi
l Love my Harp!!
I also have a PC W7 machine.
I know that you get a lot of whiny e-PLEASES about platforms. I simply have 2 questions.
1. Will PC catch up - soon? I know you are busting hump to get it to parity with MAC. Thank You all!!!
2. How about a Mac Emulator? Pretty sure that has been tried . . ?????
Bless you all!
Greatest instrument I have ever heard!!!!
Kudos!!

Please log in to join the discussions