Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: step sequencer?

Most Recent

written by: 0beron

What about giving the arranger view the equivalent of a mode key? Ie you put all the 10 control keys on a talker, and then click an octave button or something to see them, leaving the whole keyboard free for use in the sequence. Means you can't see the lights move when you scroll, but then on the pico you can't go far before everything goes out of view anyway so you would have to count keypresses regardless.

I head there were plans to expand the arranger to support full key expressivity, but also to allow it to run inside a keygroup as part of a split. If this were the case then giving them mode keys might go hand in hand with these updates?

written by: tcharitan

Thu, 7 Jan 2010 20:33:20 +0000 GMT

Hi guys, got my Pico recently and it's great, but I remember reading or seeing that the Pico would have step sequencing like the Alpha. Does it? I haven't seen anything about it in the quick reference booklet or the tutorials. Sorry if this has already been addressed, but I couldn't find the forum's search feature. Thanks.

Travis

written by: Quixotic7

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 00:40:45 +0000 GMT

No, unfortunately the Pico does not have step sequencing at this time, however I think the EigenTeam is working on it, and it may be included with the workbench. I really hope it is!

written by: geert

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 07:11:06 +0000 GMT

The real problem is making the sequencer useful with just two rows of 9 keys. It really only allows for 9 steps and two simultaneous instruments, unless they allow you to 'pan' your view to see different parts of your step sequencer. With everything I read about it in the past, I think they're going to do the latter, but it does seem like this requires quite a bit of extra work since they'd have to support a this virtual view and come up with an easy way to interact with it.

In the end, I'm personally actually doubtful that it will be useful even with a virtual panning mode just due to the small size of the Pico.

written by: steveelbows

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 10:41:58 +0000 GMT

It is hard to see how useful this would be on the Pico compared to, for example, the novation launchpad (or the alpha obviously)

written by: tcharitan

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 19:58:17 +0000 GMT

Thanks for the update. It's definitely not the ideal setup for a step sequencer, but I think it would be pretty nice to use the octave keys to scroll up and down through the instruments, and use the last two keys to pan 8 steps left or right. A bit tedious perhaps, but damn, a step sequencer on the Pico!

written by: sam

Thu, 21 Jan 2010 14:50:23 +0000 GMT

Hi all,

Thank you for your contributions. Currently we do not see how a step sequencer could work given the small number of keys available on the Pico - the current "Arranger" step sequencer within the EigenD software requires ten keys just for control.

The Tau, on the other hand, is a much better design fit for use with the Arranger step sequencer, and we anticipate it being as successful as it has been so far on the Alpha.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

written by: bwong

Wed, 13 Jul 2011 19:23:27 +0100 BST

There are not enough keys on the Pico to implement the step sequencer in a similar manner as on the Tau or Alpha, but how about using a Belcanto script to lay out the notes? Has this been considered?

written by: 0beron

Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:09:05 +0100 BST

What about giving the arranger view the equivalent of a mode key? Ie you put all the 10 control keys on a talker, and then click an octave button or something to see them, leaving the whole keyboard free for use in the sequence. Means you can't see the lights move when you scroll, but then on the pico you can't go far before everything goes out of view anyway so you would have to count keypresses regardless.

I head there were plans to expand the arranger to support full key expressivity, but also to allow it to run inside a keygroup as part of a split. If this were the case then giving them mode keys might go hand in hand with these updates?

Please log in to join the discussions