Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Can I turn off the pitch bend?

Most Recent

written by: focusaurus

Thanks very much Sam. That worked perfectly for me.

written by: lpiwek

Tue, 5 Jan 2010 14:21:34 +0000 GMT

Hi,
Just to say I really love the Pico since I got it a few days ago. However, is there a way to turn off or change the pitch bend from the key roll? I might have missed it in the tutorial. I have Arturia Jupiter 8V plus either Alchemy or Cello active at any moment. And I can't find the option in Jupiter/Alchemy to assign pitch bend to other Pico parameter. So for example I know I can enable filter cutoff in key roll, but it still changes the pitch for Jupiter.

Any solutions?

written by: geert

Tue, 5 Jan 2010 15:01:52 +0000 GMT

Hi,

I don't think there's a direct solution for this in EigenD. I've been using a workaround however, using Plogue Bidule as an audio unit instrument. This allows you to filter out, create, transform, ... any midi message and send what you want to other audio units that are running inside the Bidule plugin.

Bidule as an audio unit isn't freely available though, but I strongly recommend it, it has saved me numerous times in situations like this ... and I use Bidule as my primary host for live performance: http://www.plogue.com/?page_id=56

Hope this helps,

Geert

written by: aaronw

Tue, 5 Jan 2010 16:13:22 +0000 GMT

Hi Ipiwek,

When the workbench is released you will be able to configure the pitch bend using Belcanto. We should be releasing the workbench shortly and will keep the forum up to date on its progress.

Ta

Aaron
Customer Services

written by: lpiwek

Tue, 5 Jan 2010 16:41:20 +0000 GMT

Hi Geert & Aaronw,
Thank you for your quick replies.
Aaronw: I am looking forward to workbench release.
Geert: That's an interesting option, and I might try it:)
Cheers,
Lukasz

written by: fzzzy

Wed, 6 Jan 2010 03:53:38 +0000 GMT

Hey Geert,

Thanks to your suggestion from another forum post I purchased Bidule and immediately got it sending out OSC for all of the pico data, which was great. Thank you for the suggestion. Since I already use Max/MSP Bidule is a familiar and enjoyable paradigm for me.

I had previously had the thought that it might be possible to use Bidule to turn off the pico pitch bend. However I haven't really had the time to learn about Bidule to figure out how to do it. Can you post a screenshot of your setup that filters out pitch bend information, or simply point me to the documentation for what I might use to do it? It would really give me a head start on learning how to do things like this with it.

Thank you
Donovan

written by: sam

Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:00:48 +0000 GMT

Hi all,

There are now a number of scripts (found in the Pitch Bend folder within the Factory Scripts directory) which allow you to configure the pitch bend range of the instruments within Factory Pico Setup 1 in the latest unstable release - 1.1.0-unstable6. Please read the release notes for more information on the new script browsing feature.

Let us know if you have any further queries.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

Sat, 23 Jan 2010 13:38:18 +0000 GMT

Hi,

The current scripts affect all scalers (instruments in the system). I experimented a bit and figured out how to only affect a single instrument. I added that script here: http://wiki.eigenzone.org/wiki/Scripts

Hope this helps,

Geert

written by: barnone

Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:44:17 +0000 GMT

@sam
I guess there are no factory scripts for the Alpha available in unstable 6. Also, the factory Alpha setups in unstable 6 are fairly broken. Not able to bring up advanced screens for selecting soundfonts or even AUs. Reported as a bug through email.

Can you guys possibly add the scripts to turn off pitch bend in the next unstable release for the Alpha and also test the Alpha setups are working?

@gbevin
Hey thanks for the start on the scripts documentation on the wiki. I will try the one you added. I might be able to load a previous Alpha setup from 1.0.13 in unstable 6 and go from there. I'll try it.

[edit] Gert, thank you! I can turn pitch bend off..very helpful.
I was able to get unstable 6 to work on the Alpha by loading a user setup from .13.
I still don't understand why the Alpha setups aren't setup correctly in the "unstable" releases. Hopefully someone can take a look at that.

written by: milesbeverley

Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:13:41 +0000 GMT

Hi, When will this Workbench be released?

I also want to turn off the pitch bend. the keys are so sensitive that when playing the Pico the notes sound wrong as they are continually pitched up/down. Unless you touch the keys lightly without rocking them....which is quite difficult to do. Or are there any other alternatives for turning off this "rocking" feature?

Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:15:27 +0000 GMT

There are new scripts in the unstable releases that allow you to turn pitch bend off and on. This should get you a step further.

written by: tomoe97

Sun, 7 Mar 2010 20:05:20 +0000 GMT

I have tried the latest unstable release including scripts in an effort to turn off the pitch bend. Unfortunately, it does not work. I was able to navigate to the factory scripts folder, select the pitch bend script with "0 semitones," and it turned green indicating it was active. However, it had no impact whatsoever on pitch bend--i.e., pitch bend remained turned on even when the "0 semitone" script was activated. Please fix. I wish EigenD had some sort of System Preferences page that would allow one to make global changes to such important aspects of playability as pitch bend, etc. without having to search around for scripts.

With pitch bend turned on, the only instruments that I find musically playable are those that can accommodate slight microtonal bends. With the clarinet model, for example, having pitch bend capability on every button is wonderfully expressive. In sharp contrast, with synth patches, whether with the Alchemy AU or when I try to play my Moog Voyager via Pico's Midi Out, it sounds dreadful with pitch bend turned on. It would be more useful to assign pitch bend to the ribbon controller in such cases.

Sun, 7 Mar 2010 21:21:29 +0000 GMT

You have to press twice, once to arm it and a second time to execute it. This is done to prevent people to accidentally run scripts they don't want to.

Mon, 8 Mar 2010 14:07:20 +0000 GMT

Hi all,

Geert is correct, you do need to activate the script within the Browser (either by tapping the scroll key or by clicking on the desired script) twice. When you first activate, the "status" will read "armed", and once activated a second time, look to make sure that the status reads "succeeded".

In response to barnone, the scripts for setting the amount of pitch bend on the keys should work on all Alpha and Pico Factory Setups - if they do not work for you please let me know.

Sam

Mon, 6 Sep 2010 23:15:55 +0100 BST

Can someone post more step-by-step instructions here? I'm running EigenD 1.1.11-testing and I have Tau. Is it possible with this version? Where exactly are the scripts and how do I run them? I am very new and having serious struggles getting the Tau to behave as in the tutorial videos.

Wed, 8 Sep 2010 16:21:47 +0100 BST

Hi focusaurus,

I will post instructions on our Wiki article about Belcanto scripts and let you know when it is available.

Sam

Sat, 11 Sep 2010 15:38:19 +0100 BST

Thanks, Sam, that would be great.

Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:30:03 +0100 BST

Hi focusaurus,

I have updated the Belcanto Scripts wiki article to include instructions for the Tau.

Belcanto Scripts

If you need any more information please let me know.

Sam

Tue, 14 Sep 2010 04:56:48 +0100 BST

Thanks very much Sam. That worked perfectly for me.

Please log in to join the discussions