Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Alpha On Device Control of Levels / Multivalue ranges

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

read much - sorry

written by: barnone

Tue, 5 Jan 2010 04:24:33 +0000 GMT

I don't have a huge of amount of experience with the Alpha yet but I did want to give feedback on one aspect of the on-device control that is especially problematic for me.

Parameters that involve changing values such as Volume,Pan, Send levels, etc..

Everywhere this happens, you use the key to scroll the value. There is no on device feedback so you must look at the computer screen to see the value, unless I am missing something. A lot of the rational for using on-device controls was to not have to look at the computer.

I write software for the monome (SevenUpLive) and we have similar issues and the above issue is generally solved by using a range of lit buttons like a bar graph to display the general level of a setting. Percussion keys would work perfect for this.

So the way I imagine it is that when you start changing a control that has a range such as volume....a bar graph of lit keys appears on the Alpha shows the level, even if it is quantized to say 0-x buttons this would give vital feedback.

Hold a button and use the strip controllers for setting the level or interact with the button graph itself for a fast rough setting. They are perfectly suited to this. Rocking the key is very impractical as we have seen from the EigenD scroll keys. In fact, not sure why they don't use the strip controller as well.

Right now when I change volume for instance, I am not able to play notes at the same time to test the volume setting.

The rest of the settings such as selecting instruments is fine because there is proper feedback using a green light to show selection.

written by: 0beron

Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:40:58 +0000 GMT

I second this - I managed to get completely lost for half an hour or so because there was no feedback from the main volume control in the mixer mode on the Alpha. None of the other adjusters such as AU/sampler volume, FX sends etc feedback either.

Are things like the mixer page and so forth hard coded into EigenD, or are they constructed with the workbench? Maybe there comes a point where the time is better spent documenting and enhancing the workbench, so that the community can build their own highly specific setups, rather than chasing an endless stream of feature requests.

written by: sam

Wed, 24 Feb 2010 17:02:32 +0000 GMT

Hi,

Thank you for your posts. In the forthcoming software changes we are looking to revise the way this sort of thing works. We like your ideas and will certainly take them into consideration.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

written by: Tenebrous

Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:59:41 +0000 GMT

This is also very relevant to the Pico, it's very easy to get lost, and a pain to look at the screen when changing simple stuff like an instrument's volume or send levels. So on-instrument feedback for these gets my vote too!

Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:59:04 +0000 GMT

Another thought might be to use the touch strip to adjust levels - in absolute mode there would be no need for feedback since the distance along the strip would be the level. One would not even need to look at the instrument.

written by: 0beron

Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:28:51 +0000 GMT

I think barnone mentioned that - the mixer page could be left as it is, but instead of nudgers they would act as a selection mechanism to determine which parameter the strip controller would influence.

Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:38:28 +0000 GMT

read much - sorry

Please log in to join the discussions