Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Alpha Impressions

Most Recent

written by: Tones2

Thanks!

written by: barnone

Mon, 4 Jan 2010 00:42:24 +0000 GMT

Just wanted to put a positive post here.

First off the Alpha is absolutely stunning. Everything from the wood to the metal finish to the accessories and case.

I've been playing with my Alpha this weekend and it pretty amazing. As the pico players know, the keys are the magic, but having so much real estate on a instrument with this sensitivity is extraordinary. Probably helps the on instrument controls a lot to have so much room for displaying status and interacting vs the limited keys of the pico.

Especially having fun layering the cello with other instruments, percussive sounds like piano and pads too. There is so much expression that you can play with the layers and bring each separate instrument into the mix just by how you play it.

It's going to take some time to learn to play it but that is what any fine instrument rewards.

Bowing the cello with the strip controller and also the percussion buttons is so damn cool.

Cheers,
Chris

eigenD has a way to go as far as final useability but the core of the system is there and it's fantastic.

written by: fzzzy

Mon, 4 Jan 2010 01:01:08 +0000 GMT

sweeet... i want one... :)

Mon, 4 Jan 2010 12:59:35 +0000 GMT

So the Aplha is actually SHIPPING? Why does the order screen still say that will start shipping on Feb 22?

Tony

written by: geert

Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:27:48 +0000 GMT

Tony, the shipping date on the website is for new orders. The Alpha is built custom for you when you order it and takes a certain time to be ready. There's no readily available stock of Alphas (yet). IIRC Chris ordered one back in October, only days after the first announcement.

written by: aaronw

Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:38:40 +0000 GMT

Hi Chris, I'm glad you received your instrument alright and you are enjoying it!

Tony, we have been shipping the first Alpha's which were pre-ordered when we released the instrument in October. The date on the website is the estimated shipping date if you were to place an order today. Every instrument is built to order hence the reason for a 7 week lead time.

I hope that clears things up for you,

Aaron
Customer Services

Mon, 4 Jan 2010 18:20:30 +0000 GMT

aaronw said:
Hi Chris, I'm glad you received your instrument alright and you are enjoying it!

Tony, we have been shipping the first Alpha's which were pre-ordered when we released the instrument in October. The date on the website is the estimated shipping date if you were to place an order today. Every instrument is built to order hence the reason for a 7 week lead time.

I hope that clears things up for you,

Aaron
Customer Services

Understood. Actually, a 7 week turnaround is pretty darn good for a custom instrument that's not in the mainstream. By comparison, Mark Wood violins take about 4 months and Chapman Sticks about 8 months.

Thanks!

Tony

Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:38:10 +0000 GMT

I posted detailed first impressions on my blog.

http://bar0.blogspot.com/2010/01/first-impressions-of-eigenharp-alpha.html

I think it's a very favorable and balanced review. I do however call some attention to the fact that the software has some rough edges still.

Sat, 9 Jan 2010 15:47:49 +0000 GMT

Great review, although a few pictures would have even been better. Thanks for the info!!

Tony

written by: catoro

Sat, 9 Jan 2010 17:12:32 +0000 GMT

Hey Chris, I just wanted to congratulate you on the really nice review... any chance to see some pictures or a video soon?

Best .

Carlos

Sat, 9 Jan 2010 17:49:10 +0000 GMT

Working on a new track today and if I'm lucky maybe even a video. We'll see how it goes. Thanks.

Sun, 10 Jan 2010 06:33:27 +0000 GMT

Ok guys...

Video is up

http://www.vimeo.com/8644421

written by: fzzzy

Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:09:04 +0000 GMT

Awesome! Thanks for doing that!

written by: prstorms

Sat, 16 Jan 2010 17:26:58 +0000 GMT

Thanks for the unboxing video. Were you able to sort out the "loose bits" noise from within the instrument?

My alpha arrived last week, just as I was leaving for a business trip. I'm back today and unboxing is about to begin!

Sat, 16 Jan 2010 17:49:27 +0000 GMT

At the end of the video he mentioned the loose noise was fixed after inserting the breath pipe. I never had such a noise. I think there is a little plastic seal in there, maybe that was it.

Anyway..welcome...the new Alpha users start to arrive.

One thing...install the software from the USB key and use that. Don't try to upgrade to 1.0.12 quite yet from the website. You'll have a smoother experience that way since 1.0.10 is set to open into Alpha factory setup 1.

Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:04:38 +0000 GMT

The setup was a bit more complex than I envisioned, but the pieces are all hooked together. I do get an error when starting up the EigenD software, using either factory 1 or 2 (haven't tried 3). Message states "Audio Unit "Alchemy" (id "aumuCaC2CamA") not found". I assume that means I'm missing a sound. The tutorial on my memory stick (#1) certainly didn't take me too far down the road (beyond just plugging everything in), and there's not a lot of extra help in the manual. I've been able to activate the various instruments... cello is going to be quite a challenge! How soon until we get more tutorials?

written by: sam

Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:05:59 +0000 GMT

Hi prstorms,

It looks like you may have had a problem with your installation.

Please could you send us a copy of your /var/log/install.log by following the instructions below:

1. Open the 'Console' applications (found in /Applications/Utilities/Console
2. In the left hand pane under the heading 'LOG FILES', scroll down until you find the '/var/log' subheading
3. Ctrl-click/right click on 'install.log' and click 'Reveal in finder'
4. Copy 'install.log' to an easily accessible destination, e.g. Desktop/home directory
5. Email 'install.log' as an attachment to Customer Services

We should be able to diagnose your problem and get back to you.

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:42:19 +0000 GMT

Sam,

I upgraded to 1.0.12 and the problem went away. Thanks for your interest, though.

Pat

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:27:37 +0000 GMT

I can't find the unboxing video anymore. Is it still available?

Tony

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:03:54 +0000 GMT

Unboxing
Eigenharp on Vimeo

Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:17:57 +0000 GMT

Thanks!

Please log in to join the discussions