Forum

Sounds: from Pico to VL-1m?

Most Recent

written by: 0beron

Aha, that makes a lot of sense - thanks Sam

written by: tefman3d

Thu, 31 Dec 2009 00:33:25 +0000 GMT

Hey folks,

Anyone tried an old school physical modeling synth like the VL-1 with a midi'ed Pico? I know they are only duophonic but it could be amazing.

Best -Tefman.

written by: mikemilton

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:40:14 +0000 GMT

I have. Works fine. One needs to remap the CCs, particularly as the VL uses 16/17 a lot. This can be done with Plogue Biddule or, more simply, with midiPipe (using midipipe for PICO to VL

I really miss the reed control for PB and would *love* to have that on some future Alpha upgrade. It is just so organic to bite up into a note on the WX5. Otherwise most of my patches work reasonably well. Indeed, in some cases much better. I look forward, for example, to assigning pitch and yaw to various modulators in the VL patches

cheers, and have fun, m

written by: tefman3d

Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:50:10 +0000 GMT

thanks Mike.

I'm going to fire up mine this weekend and give it a go.......

best -tefman.

I'm a windsynth guy too & I miss reed PB on the Pico!

oh well maybe EL folks will engineer a upgrade bocal for it.

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 21:57:18 +0000 GMT

I've hooked up my Alpha to the VL70m that I use with the WX5, using an external audio/midi interface. I seem to get terrible latency problems (ie you can play a quick run of notes, and they finish playing long after you've realeased all the keys...)

Am I right in saying that the MIDI ports on the Alpha basestation are not for playing, but for midi-pedalboards etc?

Any ideas why my MIDI seems so unresponsive?

Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:03:55 +0000 GMT

I had a similar (same?) issue today with the pico. This is strange as the first time I tried there was no issue at all.

I noticed that the midi Buffer on the VL was full as well. So, at the time, I assumed that my issue was with a midi loop somewhere but there was no data showing up in MIDI Monitor (which I use to check such issues) did not take the time to troubleshoot further but will have another look tomorrow and report back.

Sun, 14 Mar 2010 13:24:25 +0000 GMT

A bit more troubleshooting...

I fired up my machine, loaded EigenD, MIDIPipe and connected my interface (which is MLAN-based), the PICO and the VL1. I opened the file I had been using in MIDIPipe and had a latency issue that got quickly worse (amounting after a handful of notes to over a second.

So, I closed the MIDIPipe file and made a new one... This is presently working fine.

Are you also using MIDIPipe? If so, I'll report pass this along to the developer.

In the interim, you should be able to set it up each time or switch to using Biddule

cheers, m

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:10:47 +0000 GMT

Hi Mike,

I'm not using any additional software besides EigenD and the drivers for my interface. I have an M-Audio Fasttrack Pro connected to my MacBook, and it shows up in the EigenBrowser as a valid MIDI port. I select it, and set one of the keygroups to output to MIDI, and the latency is there immediately. Once it's built up to a second of delay or so, I can still see the indicator light on the FastTrack blinking, suggesting that whatever is happening is occuring before the MIDI leaves the Macbook via USB.

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 09:49:58 +0000 GMT

OK... it looks like we have a different expression of the same issue. I'm simply using MIDIPipe to patch together in's and outs and remap controllers. and I suspect it is suffering from the same underlying issue occurring before data gets out of eigenD.

I should try using the stable release and the IAC driver to see if that makes a difference

cheers, m

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 09:52:57 +0000 GMT

As far as I can remember, I was running EigenD 1.0.14 at the time. I'll give it a go with IAC.

written by: sam

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:26:17 +0000 GMT

Hi,

I have been investigating the problems you have been having with MIDI latency, and certainly in the case of the Alpha it looks to be that the Eigenharp produces more data than a standard MIDI wire can handle. Each key alone produces pitch bend, poly aftertouch, channel aftertouch and velocity information, which whilst fine for use within software on a single computer, is not possible over a MIDI cable. We are currently working on the ability to turn the channel and poly aftertouch parameters on and off - this will enable you to configure the amount of data to suit your situation.

I will keep you up to date with the progress on this.

Many thanks,

Sam
Eigenlabs Software Department

Mon, 15 Mar 2010 18:07:51 +0000 GMT

Aha, that makes a lot of sense - thanks Sam

Please log in to join the discussions