Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Loading Scales - Confused By "Browse Scale for Adjacent Key"

Most Recent

written by: Tones2

Yeah - the reason I couldn't initially comprehend how this worked because I couldn't in my right mind understand WHY you would need to use DIFFERENT keys to edit the the adjacent keys. Totally wacky implementation and a waste of keys, especially on an instrument already fighting for keyspace. Hopefully there will be a way to change this with the Workbench, especially for drum loops for which it would be a real benefit to be able to access double the amount live. But even for scale access, it's be cool to be able to have a lot of user defined scales that can be fine tuned to "parts" of songs that needs accidentals outside of scales, or how about loading the other 7 modes of the major scale for readily available access?

In other words, the more available storage keys, the better. :)

Tony

Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:51:17 +0000 GMT

I'm very confused on what the loading of new scales from the browser is actually doing. I've watched the tutorial on how to load a the scale from the browser, but I don't understand if the loaded scale "replaces" the scale of the key to the left of it - i.e. for instance, if you load a gypsy scale by pressing the R4 key next to the L4 chromatic scale key, does this actually "replace" the scale on the L4 key? If so, which key do I choose when I want the gypsy scale - the R4 or L4? And why the need for a secondary key to change the scale related to the primary key?

In trying this, when I load a scale by choosing R4, then go to play mode, then go back to scale mode, the R4 is lit green - if I press the L4 key, it ALSO turns green but the scale remains the gypsy scale. Furthermore, if I choose ANOTHER scale after doing this, it often will NOTchange to the correct scale.

Needless to say, I'm confused here. I also have no idea what the phrase "Browse scale for adjacent key" actually MEANS in the reference guide.

Note that everytime I say "key" above, I'm refering to the physical hardware key-button on the PICO.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Tony

Wed, 30 Dec 2009 02:48:59 +0000 GMT

I did figure this out, but for the LIFE of me, I don;t understand this design decision. Why waste EIGHT storage positions in "adjacent browse keys" when you can simply have an "edit" key that modifies the existing scale keys? In this way, you can have access to 16 instead of 8 scales (assuming there was a separate edit button, but even if you use one of the adjacent keys as an edit button, you can still get 15 scales without using the browser).

Same for the drummer loops.

Tony

Wed, 30 Dec 2009 03:38:33 +0000 GMT

Wed, 30 Dec 2009 03:38:21 +0000 GMT

Sorry - triple post. This forum crashed on me a few times today.

written by: fzzzy

Wed, 30 Dec 2009 08:05:12 +0000 GMT

Both the scale browsing and the drummer loop browsing could use a concept similar to the "mode" key on the "Instrument/FX" page. That would free up the other 15 keys for scales or drummer loops.

But as it is, the right side buttons in the scale page browse to choose the scale for the matching left side button, which it sounds like you figured out.

Wed, 30 Dec 2009 16:12:57 +0000 GMT

Yeah - the reason I couldn't initially comprehend how this worked because I couldn't in my right mind understand WHY you would need to use DIFFERENT keys to edit the the adjacent keys. Totally wacky implementation and a waste of keys, especially on an instrument already fighting for keyspace. Hopefully there will be a way to change this with the Workbench, especially for drum loops for which it would be a real benefit to be able to access double the amount live. But even for scale access, it's be cool to be able to have a lot of user defined scales that can be fine tuned to "parts" of songs that needs accidentals outside of scales, or how about loading the other 7 modes of the major scale for readily available access?

In other words, the more available storage keys, the better. :)

Tony

Please log in to join the discussions