Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Alpha base station rack mount

Most Recent

written by: dhjdhj

Has there been any progress in finding a safe method of rack mounting the base unit? I'd like to install the unit in one of my Gator cabinets so I can leave it prewired to the computer and power. I have no interest in connecting pedals to it directly --- my pedals get processed through MainStage

written by: geert

Mon, 7 Dec 2009 21:22:30 +0000 GMT

Hi,

I was wondering about the Alpha Basestation, is it rack mountable? Do you sell rack ears? It seems a shame to me that the cable input is at the rear since even if it is rack mountable, connecting the instrument will be much more difficult than it should be.

What kind of connector is used for the instrument input. Is there a possibility to build an extension oneself to build easily accessible front or rack panels? I've done this for many of my rack mount equipment, it feels like a step back in stage setup to have to fiddle in between other cables, through a 1U opening in a rack to find the connector for the instrument cable.

Thanks for the info,

Geert

written by: john

Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:08:49 +0000 GMT

Hi Geert

The Alpha Base Station is not sold with rack ears as it is not intended to be rack mounted - it has the pedal inputs (for 2 continuous control pedals and 2 switch pedals) and is usually sited near your home playing position on stage as a result of this. When you experience the Alpha, you will really want to use those pedals. It also has a MIDI in/out so that you can connect a MIDI pedalboard to it, to give yourself even more switch options (though the MIDI i/o is not due to be functional until mid January 2010) and an extender socket so two base stations can give you a greater wire length on stage and remove mains power from anywhere near your playing position, an important safety improvement if there is any possibility of moisture in the environment. This will allow you site an extra base station in a rack somewhere, near whatever computer you choose to run as well, without losing the pedal inputs on a larger statge.

I believe it is the right thickness to fit in a 1 U space should you really wish to rack mount it, although due to the pedal inputs you'd probably want to do it back to front and you'd have to unscrew its rubber feet. I'll check this out for you. It is also just the right size to velcro a Mac Mini to the top, if you want to play without using a screen at all (and we have really interesting development going on that will make this an attractive possibility shortly) - this would give you a very nice compact kit for playing with a very short setup time. We've experimented with running EigenD headless (without a screen) in performance and it works well.

John

written by: geert

Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:13:14 +0000 GMT

Hi John,

Thanks for the quick and detailed answer. While the Mac Mini headless solution is interesting, it doesn't really attract me personally. I don't mind having a laptop on stage as I'm already doing this now for all my electric and MIDI guitar sounds. So many things can potentially go wrong that not having a screen handy to troubleshoot can be frustrating. I know that some musicians are relying on VNC solutions with their iPhone/iPod Touch to get access to a headless Mac Mini over WIFI in case of an emergency, but imho that's far from ideal.

Really looking forward to try out the Alpha on Thursday :-)

Take care,

Geert

written by: dhjdhj

Fri, 18 Mar 2011 15:41:38 +0000 GMT

Has there been any progress in finding a safe method of rack mounting the base unit? I'd like to install the unit in one of my Gator cabinets so I can leave it prewired to the computer and power. I have no interest in connecting pedals to it directly --- my pedals get processed through MainStage

Please log in to join the discussions