Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Please help! Configuring Pico to use Omnisphere 2 in Ableton Live 9

Most Recent

written by: konnektivitat

@TheTechnobear

Hi, thank you very much for your response and your encouragement!

Exactly what I supposed before writing the message... I just supposed there was some resource I've missed. Anyway of course I will practice more and see what I can get from this beautiful instrument.

Have a nice day to you and all readers!

Fri, 22 Jun 2018 18:59:34 +0100 BST

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie pico harp owner. I would like to use/map it to control Omnisphere 2 inside Ableton Live 9.

Reading the manual and all the available resources the only thing I've been able to do is controlling it in Midi Control Mode, is this the right way? Do you know any other mode to control it?
Do you have any advice on which params I have to customize to have a great playing experience? For now the result is discouraging, pretty difficult to control a guitar patch for example (too sensible to be used flowly..).
Is this normal and I need more training? Any advice / link to learn something more about this?
I would like to use also the sequencer/recorder if possible.

Thank you very much
Sebastian

written by: TheTechnobear

Sun, 24 Jun 2018 12:35:51 +0100 BST

initially, there is a lot to learn with the Eigenharps, but persevere and its a hugely rewarding experience.

Im half remember, Geert did a video on Omnisphere setup,
but a warning neither Omnisphere nor Ableton support MPE so this is not ideal, especially as a 'first attempt' - they can be made to work, but its just not was easy as it might be! (hence why MPE was created!)
(you could try hosting Omnisphere in EigenD, though not sure how well thats works as I don't have Omnisphere)

sensitivity, yes this is something that you tend to learn over time....
but you can also set the range of sensitivity in the matrix, so turn it down initially - then you'll find as you get used to keys you will be able to increase it again.
this is just practice, no special tricks :)

generally vst presets always need tweaking for these kind of expressive instruments (eigenharps, roli, soundplane, linnstrument) , as the presets are rarely designed for them - my tip is create your own, and start with really simple but direct modulation (from the pic)... you dont need as much automated modulation (lfos, env) , because you have so much already under your fingertips!

sequencer is not on the factory pico setup.
recorder is, you can record anything that is hosted within EigenD (e.g. internal instruments, or hosted by vsts... but not, Ableton Live)

you can make your life a bit easier these days, by looking for things that support MPE, so Bitwig, Madrona Labs VST etc etc.

or alternatively , start by using the built-in instruments like sampler, flute, then once your familiar with those branch out.

anyway, don't get disheartened, theres a lot to learn for sure, so initially its important to 'start simple' , to not get overwhelmed , but the end result is definitely worth the effort !

Mon, 25 Jun 2018 16:00:50 +0100 BST

@TheTechnobear

Hi, thank you very much for your response and your encouragement!

Exactly what I supposed before writing the message... I just supposed there was some resource I've missed. Anyway of course I will practice more and see what I can get from this beautiful instrument.

Have a nice day to you and all readers!

Please log in to join the discussions