Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Weird Behaviour when outputting MIDI...

Most Recent

written by: keyman

Hi Paul,

To me this seems like Pico MIDI OUT is connected back to its MIDI IN and so Pico keys are activation its own MIDI implementation (Metronome on/off, change scales etc.

Check MIDI your connections? what are you using?

written by: paugui

Tue, 13 Jun 2017 20:23:19 +0100 BST

It has been some years since I have used my Eigenharps Pico, but lately I decided it was time to bring them back to my setup!

But unfortunately, it seems it is behaving a bit weirdly now...

I tried to use it as a MIDI controller, but found it was completely unusable, as the scales and keys were changing as I was playing with it (and the metronome was being activated and deactivated in a total random way...).

For the sound programs, it seems to play well, and I am not noticing any of the previously mentioned problems, but can say that, with the Eigenbrowser opened, I am noticing that the Eigenbrowser window is quite sometimes being brought to the front as I am playing...

I would expect this to be a software problem rather than a hardware problem, but am not sure...

The version of Eigen-D I am using is 2.0.74-stable, in a MacBook Pro with MacOS 10.9.

What can be done to use it properly?

I remember using it before as a MIDI controller without any problem (despite I probably used an older version of Eigen-D...).

Thanks in advance,
All the best

Paulo

written by: paugui

Tue, 13 Jun 2017 20:38:05 +0100 BST

And I just got to my old computer, running 2.0.58-testing, and it seems to work well...

I still get Eigenbrowser being brought to the front, but it seems to be sending MIDI properly, with no weird behaviour in th Metronome, Scales and Keys, that make it completely unusable...

This is an older MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.6...

written by: TheTechnobear

Wed, 14 Jun 2017 13:26:11 +0100 BST

Id need to see the log file, to do this need to do the following....

a) start EigenD, use until you get the error... (this is important step do not, just think ive done it before!)
b) one you get the error, menu -> tools -> open library directory
c) find the versioned directory, something like
eigend-2.0.74, enter it, then enter the logs directory
d) copy the eigend.0.log to your desktop
e) stop eigend

now upload the eigend.0.log to somewhere I can download it from e.g. dropbox. post link on this thread

I can then check the log file...

what i suspect is happening, is its some kind of issue with the USB communication ...

( i think its likely MIDI is red herring, it sounds like the raw key data from the pico is being 'corrupted' some how... hence random events are being generated, be that browser key events, metro, scales ... or midi notes)

what you should try to do is:
a) try with a different usb cables, particularly shorter one.
b) try on different usb ports of your MacBook pro.
c) ensure no other USB devices are plugged in... especially things like usb soundcards
d) plug directly in, don't use a usb hub

Ive had issues, particularly with the Pico of usb cables 'going bad'.

Ive also found that only some USB ports work reliably on the MacBook pro... this appears to be due to internal hubs in the MBP (etc) , and yes this changes between revisions.... usually ONE of the usb ports work better than others.

(basically its all down to usb version, internal hubs, power requirements - and the fact eigenharps send a lot of data, hence why they are so responsive... but ive always found one port to be good)

btw, later if you find a good port, but need to use if for other devices, you will need to find a good quality MTT hub, MTT is an absolute must to keep the throughput required for eigenharps.

written by: keyman

Fri, 16 Jun 2017 10:05:35 +0100 BST

Hi Paul,

To me this seems like Pico MIDI OUT is connected back to its MIDI IN and so Pico keys are activation its own MIDI implementation (Metronome on/off, change scales etc.

Check MIDI your connections? what are you using?

Please log in to join the discussions