Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Wanted more info about eigenharps. Eigenlabs has not responded to my email

Most Recent

written by: musicmanspence

Thank you both John and Mark. Your responses were very helpful. I will definitely download EigenD/Workbench and start messing with it. I am glad to know that Eigenlabs is still up and running. I will definitely stick with the factory presets for a while, but my ultimate goal was to have an all in one instrument that I could trigger samples, loop beats, and play over those with the eigenlab instruments, as well as trigger my own samples and backing tracks. I use both Reaper and Ableton Live so I wanted to be able to use the Tau to trigger loops in Ableton while playing the sounds from EigenD. Thanks again

Thu, 6 Oct 2016 22:53:12 +0100 BST

Hello everyone. I have been in contact with Eigenlabs and was asking a lot of questions about their Tau before I make the decision to purchase one. However, they just stopped responding to my emails. From what I understand they are no longer in business, but are still selling the products they have left over. I needed to have these questions answered before I made the decision to purchase. If any of you on the forum could help me that would be amazin.

1. Can you route the output audio separately, for example send the click to my in ears and send the instrument and loop audio to the output speakers?

2. Do you guys still provide customer service, for example if the software stops working or something just isn't functioning correctly will you guys be able to assist me. If there is an internal problem can I ship it back to you guys for repairs?

3. Do the keys on the Eigenharp function pretty much the same as any midi controller as far as signal. For example, could I assign it to other midi sources like a software syth or drum pluggins and assign the notes/sounds to each key individually like a midi keyboard or drum pad (like a number based system).

I will still consider purchasing the answer to some of these questions is no. I just need to know what I will be getting with my purchase.

written by: TheTechnobear

Sat, 8 Oct 2016 10:52:25 +0100 BST

(1) yes
(3) yes, you can do this - the midi mapping is extensive.

when you first use EigenD, you will use the 'factory setups' which allow all sorts of configuration.. its best to use these initially , almost treat these 'as the instrument'.
once you are more familiar with the Eigenharp and EigenD, then you can use EigenD's Workbench app which allows you to modify/create your own setups... this is extremely configurable.
(but also easy to get lost in, if your not already familiar with EigenD... so try to minimise the adaptations initially)

note: you can download and try EigenD/Workbench to get an idea of what it looks like etc, though of course without an Eigenharp, its a bit difficult to understand the context.

(2) something for Eigenlabs/John to answer - but generally Eigenlabs would have to carry out repairs if necessary, as they are the only ones able to calibrate the Eigenharp if its 'opened'
yes they have been quiet recently...

on the software side, a few of us players will help you out with any questions etc you may have,
and there is also a Google+ community for the Eigenharp, which many of us belong too :
Eigenharp Community

>I just need to know what I will be getting with my purchase.

a fun instrument, with amazing possibilities :)
I guess the real question is - what are your expectations?

from my time with my Eigenharp, ts most enjoyable, when you treat it as an instrument in its own right, be open minded, explore the possibilities.

the biggest lesson I learnt since having it is, the Eigenharp / EigenD is SO flexible and provides so many options, its easy to get distracted configuring it, and adapting it and then suddenly realise you've spent days fiddling with it, rather than actually playing it - whilst fun, its not why I bought it.
so adapt the eigend setups where necessary to your setup, but try to remain focused on the goal of playing.

I hope John/Eigenlabs get back to you, they have answered a few questions here, but they have been very quiet recently.

Mark

written by: john

Sat, 8 Oct 2016 13:44:40 +0100 BST

Hi Spence (and Mark)

We're still here, we're not out of business, I've just been on a long holiday. I remember replying to an email from you Spence, regarding trying a Tau in California, but I don't recall any other emails, perhaps it got lost in transit somewhere.

We provide hardware warranty and backup on instruments - they come with a one year return to manufacturer warranty and after that we can often repair them if they do go wrong, which is fortunately pretty rare. Most repairs are due to accidental damage rather than wear and tear. In seven years of selling Eigenharps and thousands of instruments sold we've only ever had two warranty returns, they're usually very reliable. We've never had a Tau come back under warranty in that entire seven years.

We don't provide customer support for the software or learning to play your instrument as the software is now free, open source and community developed. You should however find the community pretty supportive, they're a nice bunch of people. If in doubt you can download and play with the software well before you purchase an instrument, I'd advise you to do just that, and ask the community any questions you might have regarding that before you spend lots of money.

Other than that I think Mark has answered your questions very well above, thanks Mark.

John

Fri, 21 Oct 2016 18:45:20 +0100 BST

Thank you both John and Mark. Your responses were very helpful. I will definitely download EigenD/Workbench and start messing with it. I am glad to know that Eigenlabs is still up and running. I will definitely stick with the factory presets for a while, but my ultimate goal was to have an all in one instrument that I could trigger samples, loop beats, and play over those with the eigenlab instruments, as well as trigger my own samples and backing tracks. I use both Reaper and Ableton Live so I wanted to be able to use the Tau to trigger loops in Ableton while playing the sounds from EigenD. Thanks again

Please log in to join the discussions