Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: EigenD 2.1.6 community release (64 bit only)

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

contiuum agent.... seem to load here... can you send me a log file

creator... not played with this for a while, I will need to track down my setup.
does 2.1.5 32 bit work ok? (what version did it last work for you with ?)
Python, hmm, I wouldn't think it will break it , unless the interpreter is using one of the packages thats still 32bit.
again do you have a log file, from EigenD ... this will probably highlight the issue.

Ive been using this (and 2.1.7 ;)) every day since the weekend, and no issues. (though apart from testing, I don't use AU/VSTs much, as i host them in ableton)

I do need to sort out the python packages... so I can get EigenBrowser/Commander out, especially since Id 'fixed' EigenBrowser :)

let me know if you find anything else... as Id like to get any remaining 'niggles' out of this, then I can compile for all platforms which takes me a few hours.

Id really hoped John/Eigenlabs would have shown some interest in all of this.( so I could have looked into getting a proper runtime out) - but looks like they have completely lost interest :(

Sat, 1 Oct 2016 01:56:11 +0100 BST

Ok, so great news, I found the issue with the 64 bit builds and fix them
(In the process learning lots about how EigenD stores/loads setups :))

so Im releasing a Linux and Mac OS 64 bit build as 2.1.6
(for 32 bit Mac/Windows, use 2.1.5 , don't panic, next release will be both 64 and 32 bit :) )

release link: EigenD 2.1.6 community release

Change History
============
- Fix setup loading issue with 64 bit builds

obviously this is still new, so Id consider the 32 bit build with 2.1.5 more stable, but my initial testing has shown this 64 bit build is ok.
(it can load both my setup and the Alpha factory setup which is pretty complex :))

Please use this post to report any issues.
I would be very grateful, if issue here are limited to issues with these (64bit) builds only i.e. re-test on 32bit/2.1.5 as well, and only report here if its a only present on the 64 bit build.

Enjoy
Mark

Sat, 1 Oct 2016 23:27:37 +0100 BST

(areas that possibly require more testing)
Testing required:

- hosting various 64 bit plugins
(both VST and AU)
- stage/workbench
- longer sessions

Testing notes:
- the nature of moving from 64 bit from 32 bit, is that often bugs will appear random, this is because the 'extra 32 bits) might be filled with garbage, sometimes this is 'innocuous' (e.g. if its zero), other times its fatal (e.g. if its a large value and then used to index an array, and so memory)... and often 'in between'

- plugins - Ive quite a few plugins, but Im sorry, I can only test what I have. (Im not buying any more :))

Issues:
(I'll use this post to keep track of any reported issues/ status and testing required)

- EigenBrowser/Commander not starting
caused by a non universal build of wyPython 2.8 being shipped with EigenD - unfortunately this is so old (2011!) the installer no longer works on mac OS X (10.11+) , so I'm going to need to either hack the installer to get the files, or rebuild from source.
(time consuming, but should not be a technical issue)

- audio unit hosting.
a report of 64 bit audio unit not working.
I made same test in a simple setup, seem to work fine.
need to test with other setups/audio units to narrow down issue.

- Audio unit plugins cause EigenD to not close properly
existing issue, but aggravated by new juce - fixed in 2.1.7

- Crash with Alpha on exiting EigenD, (errors in log for pico)
existing issue, more prominent on 64 bit - fixed in 2.1.7

room for improvement :)
the plugin cache is 'global' i.e. used for all versions/arch
this prevents you using multi architectures simultaneously, if you have VST plugins that are not universal binaries, but use different names for arch. (you need to do a full plugin scan when you switch architectures)
I think I'm going to add the architecture as a suffix to plugin cache, as i dont want to have to do a full scan for every version, and quite like being able to switch between the two.

written by: keyman

Tue, 4 Oct 2016 15:03:04 +0100 BST

So did some more hours of testing/playing with 2.1.6 - 64bit
some setups (factory defaults) left runing over night... nothing to point out.

- run most used Alpha setups - OK
- Alpha+Pico setups - ok

-I can see when EigenD setup has no AU it does quit nicely (this not happens to VST)

- Pico+Pico setups - ok (old days were more forgiving, you could plug/unplug Pico, start with just one then add the second - not now, but this I think come with macosx upgrades, USB things….)

- Stage (localhost) iPad, iPhone are ok, also Workbench

- all plugins on my side work ok AU/VST!
- hard to talk about performance wise (next up 1)

-All agents load ok, except Continuum agent (i mention load did not test their functionalities, next up 2)

- #Creator connection is broken (but I'm sure this has to do with "re-routing” of python??

Tue, 4 Oct 2016 21:37:04 +0100 BST

contiuum agent.... seem to load here... can you send me a log file

creator... not played with this for a while, I will need to track down my setup.
does 2.1.5 32 bit work ok? (what version did it last work for you with ?)
Python, hmm, I wouldn't think it will break it , unless the interpreter is using one of the packages thats still 32bit.
again do you have a log file, from EigenD ... this will probably highlight the issue.

Ive been using this (and 2.1.7 ;)) every day since the weekend, and no issues. (though apart from testing, I don't use AU/VSTs much, as i host them in ableton)

I do need to sort out the python packages... so I can get EigenBrowser/Commander out, especially since Id 'fixed' EigenBrowser :)

let me know if you find anything else... as Id like to get any remaining 'niggles' out of this, then I can compile for all platforms which takes me a few hours.

Id really hoped John/Eigenlabs would have shown some interest in all of this.( so I could have looked into getting a proper runtime out) - but looks like they have completely lost interest :(

Please log in to join the discussions