Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: EigenD 2.1.5 community release

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

Thanks Antonio, great to have someone interested and helping :)

Ok, Ive some good news....
Ive now a 64 bit build that appears to be working, and certainly no more loading issues, that Ive seen so far :)

making a release now

Sat, 1 Oct 2016 01:39:53 +0100 BST

Hi,

a new release, containing a few bug fixes...

release link: EigenD 2.1.5 community release

change log
=========
- Improved reliability of T3D
- Minor bug fixes
- EigenBrowser repaint fix (macOS)
- Holding shift whilst starting EigenD prevents loading default setup
- Updated to latest version of Juce (4.2.4)
- Experimental macOS 64bit version (see below) (pulled, re-released with fixes as 2.1.6)

This release is primarily for macOS 64bit testing, so I'll release linux version for 2.1.6, once Ive resolved 64 bit issues.

details of installing the macOS 64bit version are at the link above.
Note: it is ONLY for testing purposes

ISSUE IS NOW FIXED IN 2.1.6 - thanks for your input.

macOS 64 bit (only) known issue
=============
When you load a setup you will see various rigs with names that have long numbers e.g. midi output 83872984718957

this is what Im looking for help to resolve, I need to get a clear idea when it happens, as not every agent has the name managed, and each time you load a setup, different agents are mangled.

this incorrect naming, leads to the 'showstopper', as others agents cannot refer to this 'mangled agent name' correctly e.g. talkers don't work, as they are referring to the wrong thing.

somethings Id like are:

- the smallest possible setup that creates this. (this will help 'debugging' if its reliable)
- does this only happen with setups created with the 32bit version... i.e. if I save a (working) setup with the 64bit setup does this show the same issue?

you may see other issues, but for the most part when Ive been playing with this, its been fine, except for issues caused by the setup loading.

again, can I please repeat my request to John/Eigenlabs to contact me, so I can look into fixing and updating the runtime library package - I want to provide an easy install for all users, rather than having to ask users to start copying and moving things around

please use this thread to report any issues/findings
Thanks
Mark (aka TheTechnobear)

written by: MarkPowell

Fri, 30 Sep 2016 11:47:54 +0100 BST

This is excellent Mark - it's good to see you still pushing things on with EigenD and I hope that Eigenlabs give you the support you need.

Quick question; on the release notes, it mentions that you can only install 64 or 32 bit at one time. I presume I can still keep and continue to use my 2.1.2 release with no issues regardless? If so I'll install the 64 bit version and let you know how it goes.

Fri, 30 Sep 2016 15:35:03 +0100 BST

Yes, if you do the Python install as per instructions everything will still work as before. (Ive been running it with the python.org install for a long time)

and yes, the issue is 2.1.5 64 bit will overwrite 2.1.5 32 bit and vice versa.
but other versions of EigenD are untouched (like 2.1.2)

what I would suggest is:
- download both 32 and 64 bit,
- do the python installs per 64 instruction
- install & run eigend 64 bit,
(this helps prove you have the python installed correctly)
- then install the 32bit version (2.1.5)

then you can use the 32bit version of 2.1.5, and just reinstall the 2.1.5 64bit anytime you want to play/test it.

written by: MarkPowell

Fri, 30 Sep 2016 15:52:23 +0100 BST

Thanks Mark.

Fri, 30 Sep 2016 18:48:36 +0100 BST

I'll report my 'extra findings' here , as I come across them.

p.s. Im trying to test this mainly without an Eigenharp connected, as we can see the issue still without macOS/10.11 crashing due to USB issue if I 'kill the app' (i.e. its quicker/safer for testing)

note for developers:
if you build the 64bit version, then you can have the 32bit version installed (i.e. in /Applications) and run that... whilst running the '64 bit built version', this allows for quick side by side testing, as they will still use the same setups directory.
(this is because the build runs from ./tmp/bin /./tmp/modules, and not /usr/local/pi )

loading setup issue observations:
(some may need further testing to prove 100%)

1) also occurs on Linux 64 bit, so its not mac specific.
(this is good news, since id thought perhaps the setups were not compatible to linux, but looks like if i resolve this, then it will be :) )

2) edit agents on 64 bit (have to make a real change), then save... that agent appears to then load ok on all subsequent runs.

3) you appear to be able to load a setup saved on 64 bit without issue in 32 bit

4) if we combine these two steps (2&3) , i.e. 'correct' a setup in 64 bit then save it, then load ok on 32. then if you save it with 32bit , it will be 'corrupt again'

5) I notice that whilst I get the incorrect name e.g midi output 8124891418 in the log and also when loading, if I load up workbench, it appears 'ok')

6) on larger setups... Ive notice talkers are not working, even there lights are not lit up,

7) bstdump (64bit) shows correct names etc, but I'm not sure its showing all fields?!

further questions arising from observations:
- does anyone have a 32 bit linux installed? if so, any chance of running the i386.deb from 2.1.2, it would be useful to know that has no loading issues. (Ive deleted by Ubuntu 32bit vm - doh!) (re: (ob 1) above)

- when testing this before, I noticed that WB also had the wrong name... when does this occur? ( I particularly remember rigs.. perhaps only rigs?) - re: (ob 5) above

- can we confirm that talkers are really affected by this 'name' issue..
in particular, is it an issue always (e.g. when loading says wrong name) , or only when WB also says its wrong?

written by: keyman

Sat, 1 Oct 2016 00:51:48 +0100 BST

Just saying HI and I have two "machines" running EigenD 64bit

System information:

iMac
Version: 2.1.5-community

and

Macmini
Version: 2.1.5-community

Cheers to an up-to-date EigenD ;-)
António Machado (aka keyman)

Sat, 1 Oct 2016 01:34:13 +0100 BST

Thanks Antonio, great to have someone interested and helping :)

Ok, Ive some good news....
Ive now a 64 bit build that appears to be working, and certainly no more loading issues, that Ive seen so far :)

making a release now

Please log in to join the discussions