Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Having issues with EigenD and OSX El Capitan Beta

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

so, to get this straight, your using the default pico setup, and the piano works.
if so this, is good news, as it means the runtime, eigend and samples are all installed correctly :)

it sounds like your saying you cannot find any audio units, correct?

try to do a plugin scan...
start eigend
tools/plugin scanner
and click on 'full scan'

do you get any errors?
are you plugins listed as 'good plugins'

note: there will no doubt be failed plugins, this is because currently eigend does not support 64 bit plugins, so any 64 bits plugs will be 'failed'

now restart eigend

you will need to start the Tools/EigenBrowser.
- then select the VST instrument on the pico , then select browse
the pico reference guide details which buttons to press to do this, I cant remember off-hand.
the alternative is (still need eigenbrowser running) is to launch Stage, and then go to the VST tab, and select browse there.

you should get a list of both VSTs and Audio units that you have installed.
(assuming you have installed some VSTS/AU! :))

now, there is currently a bit of a gitch in the EigenBrowser UI, so when you select thing, you might have to move the window for it to update.
(Ive got a fix for this, but not got around to building/releasing it yet)

another option, and I think one many of use use, is not to use EigenBrowser, but instead use Workbench.
(this is more advanced!)

to do this, run eigenD , load the default setup and then start workbench.
then look for the audio unit rig 1 (its on the right hand side), click on open
which shows you how a audio unit rig is built.
now... you will find an 'instrument audio unit' component
right click to select the edit tool, then click on the audio unit component
now you will find a parameter call plugin... with browse next to it.
this brings a tree of all available plugins... select the one you want.

I know workbench, seem intimidating at first ... think of its as a modular synth with modules wired up.
BUT in the long run its worth getting to know it, its actually pretty easy to use, and allows for alot of customisation and tweaking.
(and the UI is much more modern than the old EigenBrowser and EigenCommander ones)

tip: when you have selected the VSTs you want to use, you can save the setup, as a user setup.

hope the above helps, if you get stuck let us know, and we can clear up any confusion.

Fri, 9 Oct 2015 11:47:58 +0100 BST

ok, I can confirm, the cause of the issue is :

shutil.copyfile(program,pname)
os.chmod(pname,0755)
incmd = 'install_name_tool -add_rpath %s/bin %s' % (env.subst('$INSTALLDIR'), pname)
print incmd
os.system(incmd)

which changed from :

os.symlink(program,pname)

Id fix it, but to be honest I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do...

written by: geert

Fri, 9 Oct 2015 13:08:04 +0100 BST

Ok, I'll take a look at it.

I had to make this change since it's impossible to sign a MacOSX package with symlinks for the executables, they have to be the actual binary files. I checked it for EigenD itself but not really the other applications.

written by: Dutch07

Tue, 20 Oct 2015 14:05:32 +0100 BST

Hey guys, I've installed the 2.1.1 experimental version on my mac, and mostly everything seems to be running ok, except for the fact that when I click on the Alchemy Instrument Audio Unit 1 in the "Window" menu, no window appears onscreen - I can hear/play the "default" sound that is called up with Alchemy, but I have no way of changing to other sounds. Any advice?

Tue, 20 Oct 2015 14:24:14 +0100 BST

(continued from last post) - I'm hoping to get the full version of Alchemy soon - if I install it as usual, will I be able to open it and select the Eigenharp in control surfaces under preferences, bypassing the need to click Alchemy in the EigenD window?

Tue, 20 Oct 2015 14:27:16 +0100 BST

Also, cannot open EigenBrowser or EigenCommander.

written by: robbydebry

Wed, 21 Oct 2015 01:09:01 +0100 BST

Okay so everything is loading fine mow for me, But I'm not hearing any sound. The system meter recognizes that I'm clicking buttons, but it doesn't matter what settings I use I still don't hear anything from the computer

written by: john

Wed, 21 Oct 2015 09:23:40 +0100 BST

EigenD 2.1.1 does not run on El Capitan. The community development team are looking at it, but there are some awkward issues to deal with so it may take them a little while. We are advising all musicians to stick to Yosemite for now, not least because quite a number of AU's and VST's seem to be having issues with El Capitan as well.

Alchemy were bought by Apple last year, and it is no longer a product by the way, they immediately discontinued it. It looks like it's being integrated into Logic's instruments pack in some way. Not sure what we're going to do about that, it was a nice part of the standard setups, but there are so many great AU/VST instruments out there now I don't think it's a big issue.

John

written by: robbydebry

Wed, 21 Oct 2015 18:03:43 +0100 BST

Okay, thanks.

I'm trying to switch some of the sounds to other soundfonts for the time being, but I'm having trouble opening eigenbrowser. It was working for me the other week, but now it doesn't want to open. Is anyone else having this problem?

Fri, 23 Oct 2015 01:19:30 +0100 BST

Eigenbrowser/commander will not work with the last 'test' release due to the issues I highlighted above.

I'll see if I can get time to put something together that has this resolved, as looks like Geert is busy at the moment.

( I don't need the signing to work, so can go back to how it was)

short unfortunate note: my kittens knocked my MBP, which i was using for 10.11 testing, off the coffee table a few days ago... and cracked the display.
so I can't really investigate much on 10.11 until its repaired. I can still build it on my main machine which is on 10.10, but not do much proper testing :(
(sorry, I really cannot update my main machine to 10.11... just to much other software not working.)

Sun, 25 Oct 2015 17:36:01 +0000 GMT

Ive added a community release for this, including runtime geert built.

community 2.1.2 build

mac and windows, will add a linux build later.

EDIT: added linux 32/64 bit and Pi2

written by: earthspot

Tue, 27 Oct 2015 18:12:49 +0000 GMT

Hats off to Mark Harris for his "community" version 2.1.2.

Both Mark and Geert are way out of my league when it comes to EigenD internals. But I have a tip regarding upgrading a Mac to El Capiten, for people like me who can't afford to shell out for a whole new machine, but who don't want to mess up their existing OS X installation -- in my case OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) would you believe.

Background:

I'm dusting off EigenD/pico for some Xcode experiments. I want a "native" El Capiten version of Belcan that doesn't require either Qt or the J language processor.

Belcan (which I think I released to Google+ Eigenharp group wayback) is my pet way of maintaining a fave list of Belcanto commands as a rough'n'ready top-end to EigenD/pico (I can't get on with EigenCommander, Eigenbrowser or even Stage). The version I released doesn't run on OS X 10.7 or later because the J engine it uses is obsolete. Its replacement uses Qt for its screen interface. IMO, Qt is user-hostile to an iMac owner. So I dust off my moth-eaten Xcode skills and roll up my sleeves.

In 11 years, things have changed a bit…!

The Problem:

Twice now I've upgraded my iMac from OS X 10.6. Twice it's given me so much pain I've reinstalled 10.6 from my Time Machine backup and licked my wounds. A lot of things I rely on simply stopped working. Like: my scanner; my expensive Wacom tablet (obsolete, alas); Word 2004 --a great advance on its successors!
(And reading this thread, having your /usr/pi/ wiped is scary, even if your not a pythoneer. It makes you wonder what else gets wiped!)

And what for? Not an upgrade: a downgrade --back to the stone age. Apple OSX developers must be buddhists -- there's nothing in El Capiten that you'd actually *want*.
(…no, I don't own an iPhone or iPad.)

But now I need a new speech-to-text app which only runs under El Capiten. Do I have to hold my nose and kiss my *ss goodbye? Actually, no…

The Remedy:

Bt.com have been selling Seagate 500 GB USB hard drives for £29.99. They're configured as plug'n'play Time Machine backup disks for Powerbooks, but Disk Utility cleans them off for what follows…

Pogue (The Missing Manual: OS X Yosemite) explains how to install OSX 10.10 onto an external hard drive.
It works too for 10.11 (El Capiten -- officially released 30 September 2015).

The result leaves my iMac hard drive and its OS X 10.6 installation entirely untouched, and gives me a clean install of 10.11 on a USB drive, which I can unplug if I'm feeling paranoid.
In practice there's no need to, and I leave it plugged in permanently unless I'm making a Time Machine backup (which I do of Snow Leopard and El Capiten independently).
Hold down Option when you hear the startup ta-da! --and the iMac shows you a choice of startup disks.

Q: Isn't a USB for my OS X system a bit slow?
A: Yes. Especially noticeable when saving a new document. But it's tolerable.

So I'm getting the best of all worlds. £29.99 for a whole new Mac to run El Capitan? -- not bad.

As a bonus I discover that I can open the /Applications/ folder on my built-in Snow Leopard drive -- and mostly the apps work! You can even drop them into the Dock.
Except they behave as if I'm launching them for the first time. (There's ways round that -- even for Firefox.)

The exception is EigenD, which has the White-No-Entry-Sign-Of-Death.

Q: Why?
A: Read through this entire thread.

So I thought I'd try installing Mark's new "community" release 2.1.2.

For the less techy-minded newbie (techies: your patience, please), let me go through the steps of getting EigenD/pico working on El Capiten…

I downloaded it from here:
https://github.com/TheTechnobear/EigenD/releases/tag/community-2.1.2
and installed in this order…
EigenD-Runtime-1.0.1-MACOSX.pkg
EigenD-gpl-2.1.2-community-MacOSX.pkg

Launchpad now had a new big grey icon offering me the choice of EigenD / Stage / Workbench to launch.

I chose EigenD.
EigenScanner launched, to look for my (non-existent) plug-ins (this is a virgin USB drive, remember?)
Then EigenD showed its familiar face and loaded the standard setup.

I plugged-in the pico, and the lights came on. Everything looked normal.
BUT… no piano when I touched the keys.
No drums when I pressed the metronome button.
EigenBrowser confirmed I had no drum loops and no piano, double-bass, synth…

BUT…

I had Clarinet (worked just fine), Cello (sounded awfully harsh!) and MIDI (as Ableton LIVE confirmed).

Mark's Github page does actually say:
* Resources may need to be moved manually... (to /usr/local/pi)
--but a non-techie may miss the significance of that.

Q: how do you navigate via Finder to a hidden folder like /usr/?
A: by using: Finder Menu: Go ⌘⇧G

Looking inside /usr/ you see:
++ No folder: /usr/pi/
++ /usr/ seems to be locked down:
Finder wouldn't let me create a new folder: /usr/pi/, even as Administrator.
++ But there *is* /usr/local/pi/ --and it's been populated by Mark's pkg.
++ But no folders:
/usr/local/pi/loop/
/usr/local/pi/soundfont/

So, using: Menu: Go ⌘⇧G --I opened /Volumes/Macintosh HD/usr/pi/
and copied across /loop/ [1.6 GB] plus /soundfont/ [3.8 GB] into /usr/local/pi/.
(I was hoping to avoid that, because it's sheer duplication. Haven't tried aliases yet.)

The drum loops worked immediately. But I had to re-launch EigenD before the piano, synth and double-bass worked.

Now I was in the position to open Mac Terminal and type-in this magic incantation:

$ /usr/local/pi/release-2.1.2-community/bin/brpc '' exec metronome hey toggle start

--and it worked just fine. I could start/stop the drums.

So now I can see my way clear to implementing Belcan for El Capiten in Objective-C using Xcode.

Many thanks, Mark and Geert, for all your hard labour.

Ian.

written by: earthspot

Tue, 27 Oct 2015 18:30:55 +0000 GMT

…that "magic incantation":

$ /usr/local/pi/release-2.1.2-community/bin/brpc '' exec metronome hey toggle start

has magically lost the substring:
[LEFT-ANGLE-BRACKET]interpreter1[RIGHT-ANGLE-BRACKET]
from between the two quote-marks.
The upload process must have stripped it out, thinking it was an html tag.

written by: Mumriken

Mon, 16 Nov 2015 18:15:30 +0000 GMT

Thanks for the last update... Now I can start playing again on my laptop mac. Wonderful job!!!

written by: martinbogo

Fri, 25 Dec 2015 14:26:32 +0000 GMT

My partner purchased me an Eigenharp Pico for Christmas... and I only have new mac computers ( Macbook Pro, Mac Pro ) running El Capitan. Installing an older operating system onto my new hardware is not an option.

I cannot install any of the software! So, here I am on Christmas morning, essentially with a brick the shape of an Eigenharp Pico.

When I try to install the Mac OS X Support.mpkg, I get the following error:

Picture of installation error

When I try to install the 'community' edition of eigenD above, I get the following error:

Picture of installation error

HELP! This is a catch-22.

Sincerely,
Martin Bogomolni

Fri, 25 Dec 2015 17:58:03 +0000 GMT

Okay, after much fiddling, I did the following to get EigenD and the samples installed in my El Capitan system:

1) download http://dl.eigenlabs.com/downloads/EigenD_Resources_1.0.12.dmg
2) mkdir -p /usr/local/pi
3) unzip everything in "/Volumes/EigenD Resources 1.0.12/Resources" into /usr/local/pi
4) download and install https://github.com/TheTechnobear/EigenD/releases/download/community-2.1.2/EigenD-Runtime-1.0.1-MACOSX.pkg
5) download and install https://github.com/TheTechnobear/EigenD/releases/download/community-2.1.2/EigenD-gpl-2.1.2-community-MacOSX.pkg

Sat, 26 Dec 2015 16:52:20 +0000 GMT

Bug Report:

EigenBrowser : When you scroll with the mouse, you can see the currently selected item as a highlight. When you scroll with the scroll key on the eigenharp pico, the current active selection is not highlighted ( but it -is- scrolling .. if you continue to scroll, you can see the scroll-bar go up and down in the browser interface )

Sun, 27 Dec 2015 13:19:31 +0000 GMT

Im not quite sure why the install failed...

unfortunately, above your images don't help much... the issue is with the first install of the runtime, as that has no dependancies. but the error doesn't reveal the issue.

it should not be be down to the resources package as this is optional, and I installed it on my macbook pro, without it, and it worked fine... so Im confused at why this should have helped you install it on the command line. (did you really try the same 1.0.1 runtime both times?)

(note: you will need the resources installed, for the built in-sounds including metronome to work... the only thing that works without it, is midi / au)

Eigenbrower: yes known issue, same with Eigencommander
its to do with the version of python being used, unfortunately, Eigenlabs have not provided me with access to the source for the runtime library/install so I cant do much about it.

written by: kayan

Tue, 13 Sep 2016 20:43:55 +0100 BST

I bought a pico from a friend (who could never learn to use it) I have manage to install files from herehttps://github.com/TheTechnobear/EigenD/releases/tag/community-2.1.2
It was a task as (I am only a musican)as there are no step by step instructions. The pico turns on and Eigen D loads audio units. In the browser section, however, I am unable to load any instruments. This may be due to the fact that, the only instructions I found were to install it in
user/local/pi. I couldnt work out if I should shift folders or actual instruments icons, or for that matter which exact folder.

I have had one instrument (piano) working, but nothing more then that.
I would be grateful for any help. (Apologies for poor explanation, I am still learning how to deal with software installations.

written by: kayan

Tue, 13 Sep 2016 20:49:48 +0100 BST

Sorry ... I am running Mac os 10.11

Thu, 15 Sep 2016 16:51:07 +0100 BST

so, to get this straight, your using the default pico setup, and the piano works.
if so this, is good news, as it means the runtime, eigend and samples are all installed correctly :)

it sounds like your saying you cannot find any audio units, correct?

try to do a plugin scan...
start eigend
tools/plugin scanner
and click on 'full scan'

do you get any errors?
are you plugins listed as 'good plugins'

note: there will no doubt be failed plugins, this is because currently eigend does not support 64 bit plugins, so any 64 bits plugs will be 'failed'

now restart eigend

you will need to start the Tools/EigenBrowser.
- then select the VST instrument on the pico , then select browse
the pico reference guide details which buttons to press to do this, I cant remember off-hand.
the alternative is (still need eigenbrowser running) is to launch Stage, and then go to the VST tab, and select browse there.

you should get a list of both VSTs and Audio units that you have installed.
(assuming you have installed some VSTS/AU! :))

now, there is currently a bit of a gitch in the EigenBrowser UI, so when you select thing, you might have to move the window for it to update.
(Ive got a fix for this, but not got around to building/releasing it yet)

another option, and I think one many of use use, is not to use EigenBrowser, but instead use Workbench.
(this is more advanced!)

to do this, run eigenD , load the default setup and then start workbench.
then look for the audio unit rig 1 (its on the right hand side), click on open
which shows you how a audio unit rig is built.
now... you will find an 'instrument audio unit' component
right click to select the edit tool, then click on the audio unit component
now you will find a parameter call plugin... with browse next to it.
this brings a tree of all available plugins... select the one you want.

I know workbench, seem intimidating at first ... think of its as a modular synth with modules wired up.
BUT in the long run its worth getting to know it, its actually pretty easy to use, and allows for alot of customisation and tweaking.
(and the UI is much more modern than the old EigenBrowser and EigenCommander ones)

tip: when you have selected the VSTs you want to use, you can save the setup, as a user setup.

hope the above helps, if you get stuck let us know, and we can clear up any confusion.

Please log in to join the discussions