Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Using an individual Percussion Key as an XYZ controller...possible?

Most Recent

written by: john

No, there currently is no way to do that with Workbench. The problem with writing something to do that is that it has to operate over multiple Keygroups at once, and the distributed agent based architecture of EigenD makes that kind of thing really difficult to implement as Keygroups are all seperate agents, at least in a non-bodgy, non-ugly way. There is a desire, not terribly difficult to write, to be able to graphically edit each Keygroup mapping but this is harder than you think too as EigenD is currently 'instrument agnostic, in that it doesn't care about the actual shape or layout of your instrument and doesn't know about it either. Given the prevalence in new instruments being used with EigenD this is likey a feature that will be retained.

Remember there is also 'choose mode' in the Keygroups, which allows you to press the keys in turn to set up a mapping, which can make things a lot faster if you're building a big new setup.

The reality of this is also that it's not actually something you'll do many times, so expending a lot of development effort to make it easier is slightly wasted. So much of musical learning is practising to embed muscle memory, and you'll find that once you have a Keygroup layout you like you'll 'practice it in' and never really want to change it. It's a task that happend once in a blue moon after that, and a little inconvenience is not so bad, there are certainly a lot of more common and frequent tasks that probably cry out for development more. Having said that, if you can code a bit by all means have a look at a graphical Keygroup editor, it would a nice addition and I'm sure appreciated by all...

John

written by: benjamind2008

Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:06:36 +0100 BST

What I wanted to achieve was to basically set aside a percussion key to use as an XYZ pad where I could set the force, yaw and roll to 3 specific CCs.

This would allow me to then play a monophonic lead line on the ordinary keys and use the special percussion key to perform the modulation. Is this at all possible?

written by: GoneCaving

Mon, 20 Apr 2015 13:14:32 +0100 BST

Yes, that should be possible. You could have the percussion key wired to a different midi converter that has the "send notes" off, and has the appropriate mappings in the routing matrix. (http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Routing_Matrix/).

written by: benjamind2008

Sat, 25 Apr 2015 00:32:02 +0100 BST

Is there a graphical interface where you can set up the key layout to make this task easier?

I would love to see a visual representation of the Tau and be able to click on a key or an entire key group and set up the behavior that way. Is there such ability with Workbench?

Else I can do it with mappings.

written by: john

Sat, 25 Apr 2015 07:22:06 +0100 BST

No, there currently is no way to do that with Workbench. The problem with writing something to do that is that it has to operate over multiple Keygroups at once, and the distributed agent based architecture of EigenD makes that kind of thing really difficult to implement as Keygroups are all seperate agents, at least in a non-bodgy, non-ugly way. There is a desire, not terribly difficult to write, to be able to graphically edit each Keygroup mapping but this is harder than you think too as EigenD is currently 'instrument agnostic, in that it doesn't care about the actual shape or layout of your instrument and doesn't know about it either. Given the prevalence in new instruments being used with EigenD this is likey a feature that will be retained.

Remember there is also 'choose mode' in the Keygroups, which allows you to press the keys in turn to set up a mapping, which can make things a lot faster if you're building a big new setup.

The reality of this is also that it's not actually something you'll do many times, so expending a lot of development effort to make it easier is slightly wasted. So much of musical learning is practising to embed muscle memory, and you'll find that once you have a Keygroup layout you like you'll 'practice it in' and never really want to change it. It's a task that happend once in a blue moon after that, and a little inconvenience is not so bad, there are certainly a lot of more common and frequent tasks that probably cry out for development more. Having said that, if you can code a bit by all means have a look at a graphical Keygroup editor, it would a nice addition and I'm sure appreciated by all...

John

Please log in to join the discussions