Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Setup creation problem - multiple keygroups -> one AU

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

0beron said:
You do however lose the scaler lights,.

Really? Why?
Im pretty certain the scaler (tonic) lights are based on both the incoming scale information and the override if applicable - I say this, as I never use the override function on scaler, and it reflects the keygroup etc (e.g. tonics, chormatic/major etc).

(though I've not used for a while as I use my scale illuminator agent)

If you want more control of lights, then you could use scale illuminator.

written by: 0beron

Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:22:22 +0100 BST

Hi folks, I'm trying to build a setup for a gig next month, and it's been a while since I did any of this so I'm struggling a bit. Using eigenD 2.0.70 stable on MacOS 10.6.8 - I'd rather not update anything this close to a gig.

What I want is to run one AU plugin from 3 different keygroups, each one with a different scaler - this is no different to the factory setups where you play the same instrument on alpha split 5, but with different scaler settings. The layout is:
Keygroup 1 = 1st three columns, chromatic, 3 courses with usual eigenharp offset.
Keygroup 2 = 4th column only, custom scale
Keygroup 3 = 5th column only, custom scale.

Building it by hand I can't seem to get all three working at once, I just get no data passed from the scaler to the AU down two of the paths. Disconnecting all but one makes it work, and indeed all the paths work as long as no others are hooked up. So I looked in the factory setups themselves and found each AU rig has its own scaler, and the keygroup scalers feed into this. So I put another scaler before the AU, and now I get all three keygroups working, but they are all stuck on some strange scale - it seems to be chromatic but ignores my course offsets and means every row of the harp makes the same note, even column 4 and 5.

I get the feeling I'm missing some channel or event filter trick that isn't immediately visible by eyeballing the factory setups in workbench. (I've never really understood these channels).

Can anyone help?
If all else fails I guess I can make one big keygroup and make a really weird custom scale that puts all the notes where I want them key by key but I'd rather avoid that.

Thu, 19 Jun 2014 23:49:36 +0100 BST

im a little confused, are you saying you need a custom scale, or scaler?
as the keygroup has its own scale, so you done need an extra scaler.
(i.e can be done with the factory setup)

ok, assuming for some reason, you need to put the scaler outside the rig, as you want to have different settings for each keygroup.

the key is each keygroup must have a different channel assigned, going to that scaler, and that same channel must be used to go to the au rig.

e.g.
kg 1 to scaler 1 (ch1)
kg 1 to rig 1 (ch1)
scaler 1 to rig (blank) as channel is already assigned

kg 2 to scaler 2 (ch2)
kg 2 to rig 1 (ch2)
scaler 2 to rig 1 (blank) as channel is already assigned

(alternatively, you can add the channel at the scaler e.g.
kg 2 to scaler 2 (blank), no channel yet, as its the only input to this scaler
kg 2 to rig 1 (ch2)
scaler 2 to rig 1 (ch2), so it matches kg2
)

basically every time you have multiple input sources, you need to make them unique with a channel, this is how the agents know they are related (e.g. all come from kg2)

(I was initially surprised rigs didn't somehow know that kg1 and kg2 data comes from different places and automatically correlate, they don't… they only know because you explicitly assign a channel!)

anyway, as i said, I'm not quite sure why you are not just putting the custom scale on the keygroup, and so don't need an extra scaler.
from your description, id say, rig should be standard, you just need keygroups and then make sure each keygroup has a unique channel number from it to the rig.

written by: 0beron

Fri, 20 Jun 2014 13:27:08 +0100 BST

Thanks for your help, I'd forgotten that the keygroups themselves had scales, and this seems to sort things out. You do however lose the scaler lights, but I'm not bothered by this as the scales don't need to change and I can use the illuminator to label up my keygroups.

I am pretty sure however that I tried the channel numbering using my original layout and I'm not certain why it didn't work as expected - I'll go back and try this again.

Fri, 20 Jun 2014 14:01:35 +0100 BST

0beron said:
You do however lose the scaler lights,.

Really? Why?
Im pretty certain the scaler (tonic) lights are based on both the incoming scale information and the override if applicable - I say this, as I never use the override function on scaler, and it reflects the keygroup etc (e.g. tonics, chormatic/major etc).

(though I've not used for a while as I use my scale illuminator agent)

If you want more control of lights, then you could use scale illuminator.

Please log in to join the discussions