Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: ranger - absolute attribute

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

Hi,

I want to setup my breath pipe, such that sucking (as well as blowing) can be used for breath signals to midi/vst.

This basically means using the absolute value of the breath signal.

I turned to ranger and used its absolute attribute - It didn't work as I assumed.

So, I looked at the code, and have determined it does NOT absolute the value ( e.g. abs(-1) = 1) based on this flag.
It simple terms:
when the flag is true : it simply bounds the raw signal by the specified bounds
when the flag is false : it uses the signal as a ratio, between the specified bounds.

EDIT: ok after quick discussion on G+, and thinking some more... I think absolutely is suppose to be a bounded range for the 'raw' value,
whereas non-absolute is suppose use the input to scale the output.

I think its possible I might have stumbled on a bug, where scaling is occurring when in absolute mode... which has added to my confusion.

I think an abs() function would be new functionality, and I think i might just put in a new agent... and leave this one in peace :)

written by: TheTechnobear

Wed, 9 Apr 2014 19:24:37 +0100 BST

Hi,

I want to setup my breath pipe, such that sucking (as well as blowing) can be used for breath signals to midi/vst.

This basically means using the absolute value of the breath signal.

I turned to ranger and used its absolute attribute - It didn't work as I assumed.

So, I looked at the code, and have determined it does NOT absolute the value ( e.g. abs(-1) = 1) based on this flag.
It simple terms:
when the flag is true : it simply bounds the raw signal by the specified bounds
when the flag is false : it uses the signal as a ratio, between the specified bounds.

EDIT: ok after quick discussion on G+, and thinking some more... I think absolutely is suppose to be a bounded range for the 'raw' value,
whereas non-absolute is suppose use the input to scale the output.

I think its possible I might have stumbled on a bug, where scaling is occurring when in absolute mode... which has added to my confusion.

I think an abs() function would be new functionality, and I think i might just put in a new agent... and leave this one in peace :)

Please log in to join the discussions