Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: Mk 3 Breath Pipes now available

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

@John.. mine arrived and very happy :o)

Just one question... on a au/midi rig, if I have breath compression set at 0, I only get 0-112 (rather than 0-127) ... i.e. it looks like I'm not getting full range off the sensor ... is this normal?
same test with my pico, 0 compression gives me 0-127 as expected.
(Ive checked seals, and no air leaks that I can tell, and its seated correctly in the alpha)

not a big issue, as 'normal' compression of 0.27 gives me the full midi range of 0-127

Thanks
Mark

written by: john

Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:59:17 +0000 GMT

This is just an announcement to let you all know that the new Mk 3 breathpipes are now available for purchase for the Alpha. These are listed in the accessories section of the Alpha product page on the website, and should ship within a week or so of ordering (we make them up to order so it's not instant, but it's a swift process and we now have all the components in stock). They are now our new standard breath pipe, you can no longer buy the Mk2.

The Mk3 breathpipe is an improvement on the Mk2 that was shipped as standard with the Alpha (the Mk 1 is a different style again and only present on an earlier batch of instruments that were never sold to the public). They have a higher resistance to internal corrosion from saliva and exhibit improved dynamic response when playing.

For the interested and technically minded, the breath system uses a 'tube inside a tube' design. The pressure inside your mouth cavity is sampled at the tip of the mouthpiece via those little holes you see on each side. The bypass breath (which you need for a good 'feel' and ability to express) travels through the center hole of the mouthpiece. The tube that goes from the mouthpiece to the instrument is made of aluminium and has an inner tube made of Tygon that carries the bypass breath. The gap between the outer aluminium tube and the inner Tygon tube carries the static pressure that was sampled inside your mouth, and it is this static pressure that is used for expression. This seems like a weird way to do things, but if you don't do it that way then you are bedeviled by problems of turbulent air flow and the consequent noise (as a literal pinkish whooshing noise) that this introduces. In slower breath systems, with a low bandwidth, one just electronically filters this out, but the Eigenharp breath sensor is too fast for this, so we have to be a bit smarter.

We found that early versions of the Mk2 breath pipe experienced corrosion issues in the aluminium caused by the unexpected ingress of saliva into the gap between the Tygon and the tube. If this corrosion built up it could cause this gap to close up, making the BP less sensitive and finally to stop working. The corrosion itself did not represent a health hazard, but it was a problem in performance. Mk1 breath pipes did not suffer this problem as the tube was made of copper, but aluminium is a much, much more susceptible to corrosion, and it turns out that spit is nasty stuff. We fixed this by doing what drinks can manufacturers do, which is to coat the aluminium with a thin layer of a special epoxy. This starts out as a milky liquid. We degassed it in a vacuum chamber until it stopped outgassing, then used a syringe to pump it through the pipe. We then let the pipes drain for half an hour to get the coating thickness right and subsequently cured the coating in a temperature controlled industrial furnace for a set period of time. It's fiddly, but at the time it seemed to work well and both testing and field use it stood up well. The material was a well proven one, and the process well established through the manufacture of billions of drinks cans. We changed the material of the spigots to brass from aluminium (the weight budget for the top of the instrument could just stand this) and with that all seemed to be well.

After some time (several years) we noticed some problems. One or two people (and noticeably those playing a lot with the BP) began to experience corrosion issues. And those that played on earlier versions (Mk1 and early Mk2) also noted that in general the later pipes felt less sensitive, sometimes noticeably so. We deduced two things, firstly that due to the coating being on the inside of an extruded tube which we could not see to inspect there was a possibility of coating defects occurring that we simply couldn't find and secondly that the additional thickness of the coating, which was not originally allowed for in the design, was causing the air path for the static pressure to be less than optimal.

The solution to this, now implemented in the Mk3 pipes, was to use a new process to coat the inside of the pipes with a metal plated finish of nickel. This is quite difficult as the outside also has to be plated in a different process and the traditional electrical Nickel plating process cannot be used as the current won't get inside the pipe, but it was found to be possible. We made a couple of pipes - one went to a testing facility for destructive corrosion testing (they use a vapour of warm sulphuric acid in the industry standard test) and we lent one to Geert Bevin to play for some months. We sectioned both pipes after testing and they were in good shape with no signs of corrosion, so hopefully this will put this particular problem to bed. Because the thickness of the plating is much less than the thickness of the epoxy they also play better, with improved dynamic characteristics. They feel faster.

We have a limited number of gold pipes available (around the amount that responded when I canvassed for interest last year in fact), so if you want one of those it would probably be best to order it sooner rather than later.

Any questions, please feel free to ask me.

John

Tue, 25 Feb 2014 16:54:54 +0000 GMT

Great news , really forward to getting mine.

Thank you for developing this, shows dedication to quality for a fantastic instrument !

Small question, are there any recommendations on care ... e.g should it be 'washed'.. which id be concerned may cause issues with limescale or similar.

written by: john

Tue, 25 Feb 2014 17:34:35 +0000 GMT

No, there aren't any service requirements for it, it's better to keep fluids away from the static pressure path as completely as possible really. I probably would suggest keeping the mouthpiece clean as a simple hygiene precaution. You can get various mouthpiece cleaner and steriliser products from a number of wind instrument suppliers, here's one that Thomann sell in Europe but there are quite a few about. If all else fails a good wash in warm soapy water followed by a thorough rinse in clean water does the job well. Don't leave disinfectant or soap agents on the mouthpiece, or any part of the breathpipe, as they are usually not neutral in pH and will damage the metal parts as a result if given enough time, however well protected they might be by plating.

One thing I would suggest is that in general it is a good idea to take your BP off your instrument, remove the mouthpiece and let it dry after playing, especially if it will be any period of time before you play again. Although I think we've nailed the corrosion issues in the new BP's, spit is a truly terrible substance. It's amazingly corrosive and I don't think it's worth tempting fate any further than we need to. This will also improve hygiene for very little effort as quite a few bugs don't survive being dried out for very long.

John

written by: dhjdhj

Wed, 26 Feb 2014 04:22:13 +0000 GMT

Yeah, just ordered one as well. Would still like a left handed version though

Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:13:06 +0000 GMT

@John.. mine arrived and very happy :o)

Just one question... on a au/midi rig, if I have breath compression set at 0, I only get 0-112 (rather than 0-127) ... i.e. it looks like I'm not getting full range off the sensor ... is this normal?
same test with my pico, 0 compression gives me 0-127 as expected.
(Ive checked seals, and no air leaks that I can tell, and its seated correctly in the alpha)

not a big issue, as 'normal' compression of 0.27 gives me the full midi range of 0-127

Thanks
Mark

Please log in to join the discussions