Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: scroll keys problem

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

Sorry @trap I was posting more a status update to explain the issue rather than a solution.
the issue is eigenD ships a version of python which is used not only for eigenbrowser but also for the eigenD 'program' (its contained in /usr/pi/Python.framework)

the question really is if a later version of this will have unwanted side effects on the rest of the system (not uncommon for software)

really, we need to potentially recompile EigenD with a newer version… and of course test it.

its possible that just upgrading it may work, but its is equally likely it will break eigenD.

Personally, Id say the issue is not a big one, and so id workaround it, until a fix can be put in place

written by: Ea

Thu, 12 Dec 2013 07:42:22 +0000 GMT

hi guys. first sory for my english :( my pico after update eigend very slow and not suported eigen browser and scroll key dosent work, thanx for your help

Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:06:27 +0000 GMT

version of eigenD?
Windows or Mac?
version of operating system?
setup used - factory setup?

whats does very slow mean?... slow to start up? slow to react to keys pressed?
which rig or all? (vst, sampler-piano?)

written by: Ea

Sat, 14 Dec 2013 08:27:39 +0000 GMT

eigenD : 2.0.74
mac cor i5
os 10.9
setup and factory
slow to react to keys prossed and scroll keys dosent work
i have big problem in eigenbrowser and scroll keys.

written by: Trap Jaw

Sat, 4 Jan 2014 11:47:51 +0000 GMT

Hi, have the same problem,

EIgenD 2.0.66-stable
MAC OSX 10.9, Core i5

factory setup

When I try to change a scale preset e.g., going up and down through scales seems only work by accident...often it doesn't work at all or only for 3 or 4 hits, then it hangs... or sometimes the hits I made can be seen more than 6 sec later... but mostly it doesn't work at all... and I have to choose it with mouse... any Idea?
THX in advance!

Sat, 4 Jan 2014 13:13:18 +0000 GMT

Ive just tested this with my pico - it is a Mac OSX 10.9 issue.

On 10.8.5 it works fine, on 10.9 I can reproduce the same issue.
Ive tested with 2.0.74 and 2.1.0-experimental and both have the same issue on 10.9.

i ran both eigenD and eigenbrowser and checked their logs on 10.9, i seemed to be getting active() events in eigenbrowser from the scroll keys, so it could be an eigenbrowser issue.
(so python related?)

i didn't get around to testing on my Alpha to see if its a pico only or not, this would be interesting as it would help reinforce (or not) if it is eigenbrowser.

Ea/Trap Jaw, I assume pitch bends are still working, so the pitch/yaw functionality on the pico is still ok on 10.9 generally.

Sorry, I don't really have the time to look much more into the code to look for a fix at the moment,
and as mentioned before - even if I can fix, Ive no way of releasing any changes. Besides i really don't use EigenBrowser… never really like this scrolling/tap functionality :o(

Eigenlabs?

Sat, 4 Jan 2014 14:54:08 +0000 GMT

Technobear, Thanks for your fast answer...
I am newbie concerning eigenharps and MACs... how do you change presets without using eigenbrowser... changing scales is not often necessary, but how do you change drum loops e.g. without...are there other ways to do so?

Would be nice, if Eigenlab could say something to the problem with 10.9,too... and provide a solution... :-)

written by: GoneCaving

Sat, 4 Jan 2014 15:22:18 +0000 GMT

I presume you can still you the mouse with EigenBrowser and it's just a scrollkey issue?

Sat, 4 Jan 2014 15:34:29 +0000 GMT

Yes, appears to be just related to scroll keys.

Trap, I use the mouse , and then save setups with the things I use.
Not a solution if you are constantly changing things - but I don't so not an issue for me.

Sat, 4 Jan 2014 15:39:48 +0000 GMT

yes, using the mouse works for me, too... just need the GUI to see what to choose... THX!

written by: GoneCaving

Sat, 4 Jan 2014 21:15:06 +0000 GMT

OK Pico scroll keys definitely work in OSX 10.8.5 and do not work in OSX 10.9.1. Running factory setup in both cases. the same is also true of Alpha factory 1, works on 10.8.5, and not on 10.9.1.

Tue, 7 Jan 2014 23:15:32 +0000 GMT

ok, Ive debugged this...

The python code in EigenBrowser is fine, Ive checked the rendering etc, all ok.

BUT... the issues is that 10.9/Mavericks breaks Python.
Basically (Im not a python expert) it looks like the new App Nap feature basically prevents the window updating due to to HID input (mouse, keyboard etc)

This I can also prove to be the case, since if you use the scroll key, and then move another window over eigenbrowser, it will refresh.
More over, this explains why the mouse selection works, as it involves HID activity.

the best reference Ive found is here: http://bugs.python.org/issue19373

Ive tried disabling App Nap, on Eigenbrowser executable but this doesn't work, so i suspect it could be the supplied Python with EigenD

Fri, 10 Jan 2014 21:36:09 +0000 GMT

Technobear, ...so solution is to update the Python version or to go back to the Earlier Mac Os, is it right... sorry, I´m not very familiar with MAC concerns... THX for your efforts!

Sat, 11 Jan 2014 00:47:08 +0000 GMT

Sorry @trap I was posting more a status update to explain the issue rather than a solution.
the issue is eigenD ships a version of python which is used not only for eigenbrowser but also for the eigenD 'program' (its contained in /usr/pi/Python.framework)

the question really is if a later version of this will have unwanted side effects on the rest of the system (not uncommon for software)

really, we need to potentially recompile EigenD with a newer version… and of course test it.

its possible that just upgrading it may work, but its is equally likely it will break eigenD.

Personally, Id say the issue is not a big one, and so id workaround it, until a fix can be put in place

Please log in to join the discussions