Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: How to save/export custom setups?

Most Recent

written by: JDune

Thanks. I actually have been looking at Creator for some time. Fascinating, but I have a bunch of questions. Will go to G+ and ask them there.
JDune

Sat, 2 Nov 2013 20:46:53 +0000 GMT

I've been slowly, step by step, modifying factory setups to customize my Alpha to my specific interests. After each change, I have been doing a "Save As" to the next higher User Setup. I've got enough invested now that I am fearful of losing weeks/months of work, so I was going to save a backup copy on a USB drive.
And also I want to move a copy of my work from my MacBook Pro to my Windows 7 desktop. Also I want to start a new chain of modifications to a different setup, with the goal of developing a second/third/fourth useful final setup.

I didn't find an export command.
The only info on Save I found on the Wiki was http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Saving_your_EigenD_setup/, which is obviously incorrect, as it talks about a limitation of 10 user slots, and I'm up to 42.
I tried copying the setup file from the Setup folder under 2.0.74-stable on the Mac to the equivalent location on the Windows 7 machine, and it did not even show up in EigenD until I truncated the name down to just the setup number. Then it showed up, but when I load it, I get nothing except a gateway module....

Looking at the files in the Mac library under Setups in 2.0.74 stable, I actually see multiple copies of each version--perhaps it is actually doing a series of incremental backups?????

So--how do I save my work? I want to save the current custom setup en toto, without reliance on earlier versions.... And I want to be able to export that same current setup over to my Windows setup (--or be able to send it to someone else for use on their Alpha, or to get their help and advice.)

Surely I missing something very simple?

Thanks.

written by: carvingCode

Sun, 3 Nov 2013 12:54:46 +0000 GMT

A setup with rigs (all of the Factory setups) is comprised of multiples files. So when copying/moving a setup from one location to another you need to move all files. They should be identifiable by the setup's name.

The 'multiple copies' you noticed are actually the rigs that have been saved with he setup. Just copy them all.

Hope this helps.

Randy

written by: mikemilton

Sun, 3 Nov 2013 17:44:49 +0000 GMT

What Randy said.

Also, you should be sure that you use the same version of EigenD (or upgrade the setup if it is moving older to newer)

Mon, 4 Nov 2013 00:30:37 +0000 GMT

Aha! Good, that's clear. Thank you both.

Does that mean that I can copy a specific rig from one Setup to another?
Specifically: I stripped out the SoundFont "Sampler" modules, and want to increase the number of "audio unit rigs". Is this as simple as copying one of the existing audio fig files, and presumably modifying certain specific settings, like which keys select that rig? Just opening the file in a text editor I can read enough to identify which is a audio unit rig file. If this strategy is workable, can I just use Workbench to modify the specific setting that need to be modified?

If finding the specific settings to modify is not completely intuitive, has anyone published a list anywhere of what settings need to be changed?

If this whole idea makes no sense, is there an alternate way to duplicate rigs and/or other modules?

If this has all been written up somewhere else, please feel free to just direct me there... If not, I'll bet I'm not the only non-programmer that would like to customize setups this way!

Thanks.

JDune

written by: TheTechnobear

Mon, 4 Nov 2013 09:31:21 +0000 GMT

I have in the past 'hacked' rigs from setup to another, but in practice the answer is no you can't do this - mainly to do with the talkers. (you can search for my post on here about this topic if you want the details)

thats the bad news...

the good news, is that Ive written something called 'creator', which contains all the belcanto required to create rigs, and connect them to setups.
again search on here or google+ eigenharp community , which i tend to post on more

its pretty easy to use if you just want to add rigs, and a few people on here/g+ have used it, so can help as well.

written by: carvingCode

Mon, 4 Nov 2013 16:06:03 +0000 GMT

As Mark mentioned, it's not reliable to copy a rig from one setup to another setup. Begging the question: Why have a setup made up of many, separate files? :(

You really need to look into the Creator setup building tool that Mark put together. To build multiple setups with some similar functionality between, this is an ideal utility.

I use it regularly to build setups for pieces I'm working on. It's a major time saver and can really lead to a better understanding of how setups work and options available.

Randy

Tue, 5 Nov 2013 05:53:28 +0000 GMT

Thanks. I actually have been looking at Creator for some time. Fascinating, but I have a bunch of questions. Will go to G+ and ask them there.
JDune

Please log in to join the discussions