Forum rss-feed

Forum

Software: Differences in use and capability between Win and Mac

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

What about recording MIDI in my DAW (Cubase)? I'm beginning to think that may not be easy. (I do understand that one reason for this is that the Eigen's data is much higher resolution than MIDI.)

Yes, you can record the MIDI data. You may want to decimate it and / or you may want to avoid using controllers but the note information is just like any other source. That said, one wonders why you just would not use another source?

And, what about recording audio in my DAW (Cubase)? That's not supported out of the box??? A key reason for purchasing would be to add Pico sounds on top of already-recorded tracks in my studio.

yes, you can although you need some SW to route the sound or you need to have an interface with virtual channels (or you can loop back the output used by EigenD to an input used by your DAW. If you want to record the various sounds played by the instrument separately, you will need to create separate output channels for each and appropriate routing within EigenD (otherwise they will be mixed)

written by: jg::

Sun, 13 Oct 2013 02:11:07 +0100 BST

Hi, good people. If purchasing, I'll be using on Win7. I'm interested in any general differences of actual use. I see that the software is basically the same, but when I look at the FAQs, most examples are still given for Mac use only. Recording MIDI data to DAWs, for example, or routing Eigen data to other MIDI instruments. Are there any practical differences between Mac and Win use?
Thanks... jg::

written by: TheTechnobear

Sun, 13 Oct 2013 11:22:30 +0100 BST

I dont use windows, and I'm sure someone will come along who does soon, as there are alot that do....
anyway,

Eigenlabs initially released just a mac version, then the Windows version came later - which may partially explains the examples.

Functionality is the same in the Eigenlabs software (EigenD)

Outside of Eigenlabs software, Virtual midi routing is built into the Mac OS (i.e. to route between EigenD and a DAW), but (I think) is not in Windows but there are various free bits of windows software to do this (e.g. LoopBe) .

After that, of course its VSTs , many are available on both Windows and Mac (pretty much all major ones), but some may exist on one or the other only.

are you thinking of a Pico, Tau or Alpha?

hope this helps a bit.

written by: NothanUmber

Sun, 13 Oct 2013 12:23:31 +0100 BST

Am using both Windows and MacOS X
(the MacBook Pro crashes after about an hour of use, likely because of thermal problems and some"weak " parts, so I only use this rarely nowadays).
I see no major disadvantage of using Windows for EigenD (if the plugins you intend to use are all available for that platform).
So as you already have a Win setup - why not just trying it out to see whether it's sufficient?

One thing to keep in mind: For playing Eigenharp you will want to use a soundcard with low playback latency. The cards and drivers of Macs are ok-ish in that department already out of the box, for lowcost Windows PCs some cheap onboard sound solutions are definitely worse in that regard. (To get at least acceptable latency with those, have a look at Asio4All ). I use the RME Babyface external soundcard which offers good quality and latency in a small package - and it works for both Win and Mac.

Sun, 13 Oct 2013 14:45:35 +0100 BST

Thank you people. I'm thinking of a Pico at this stage.

My DAW computer is dedicated to audio/MIDI, running Cubase effortlessly, with an Echo Gina24 soundcard that has good drivers and low latency, so there's no problem there, as long as EigenD plays nice with Win7 in general. Hence my question.

I have many external hardware synths that I'm interested in controlling with the Pico. So, I'm expecting that I can run EigenD, play the Pico, and, fairly easily, get MIDI out of my computer and/or DAW to hear sounds from those hardware synths, in real time. Can I expect this to be automatic? Or will I have to work to configure this somehow? Or, worse still, as Technobear suggests, will I have to install another piece of software to allow this to happen?

written by: NothanUmber

Sun, 13 Oct 2013 15:05:36 +0100 BST

Using hardware MIDI out is comparable for Windows and Mac - you choose your MIDI output in EigenD and that's it. (Assuming that MIDI drivers from your MIDI-interface/soundcard with MIDI-out are already installed for Windows).
The difference Technobear mentioned is when you want to control a non-VST standalone soft synth on the same computer, so you need "virtual midi cables". These already come out of the box for Mac, for Windows you have to install a software like LoopBe. (The "1 cable" version which is sufficient for a lot of scenarios is free, the "30 cable" version" costs 17€ http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html)
Alternatively you can of course "short-circuit" your MIDI out and MIDI in interfaces, so you replace the virtual by a real cable - so you don't need any additional software. I would prefer to use LoopBe though - potentially less latency and it doesn't occupy your MIDI interfaces.

For "virtual audio cables" (e.g. between EigenD and your DAW) you can either use routing capabilities of your sound card (I don't know whether the Gina24 offers this) or external software again. (Neither Mac nor Windows support this out of the box). There are various solutions like "Soundflower" for Mac or "Virtual Audio Cable" for Windows.

Mon, 14 Oct 2013 00:48:18 +0100 BST

Many thanks, NothanUmbar. Apart from Eigen sounds, I'm interested in controlling outboard hardware synths via MIDI, and perhaps sometimes, some VST softsynths. So the "virtual MIDI cables" shouldn't be necessary, as I understand.

What about recording MIDI in my DAW (Cubase)? I'm beginning to think that may not be easy. (I do understand that one reason for this is that the Eigen's data is much higher resolution than MIDI.)

And, what about recording audio in my DAW (Cubase)? That's not supported out of the box??? A key reason for purchasing would be to add Pico sounds on top of already-recorded tracks in my studio.

written by: mikemilton

Mon, 14 Oct 2013 17:35:32 +0100 BST

Yes, you can record the MIDI data. You may want to decimate it and / or you may want to avoid using controllers but the note information is just like any other source. That said, one wonders why you just would not use another source?

yes, you can although you need some SW to route the sound or you need to have an interface with virtual channels (or you can loop back the output used by EigenD to an input used by your DAW. If you want to record the various sounds played by the instrument separately, you will need to create separate output channels for each and appropriate routing within EigenD (otherwise they will be mixed)

Please log in to join the discussions