Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: How do I create this key layout on my Tau?

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

Ok, the basic way to use scale illuminator is to have the keygroup set to chromatic, ( usually C as tonic)
Then set the reference scale ( on scale illuminator) to what you want to see how to play.
I usually have my ref scale set to C major.
This will then light all keys in C major on the chromatic layout.
I usually have it set to 'inverted' which means the key not in the scale are set to red,
This means I end up with chromatic where red keys are a pianos black, and C is green.

Yes scale illuminator will work with any set of keys and also splits.

written by: benjamind2008

Mon, 7 Oct 2013 02:14:57 +0100 BST

Hi,

I want to create this key layout for my Tau:

This is how it would appear if you laid it out horizontally with the breathpipe at the left:

[Drum Keys]
01-02-03-04-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12
Set at lowest bass octave (octave 0 or 1)

[Main Keys]
49-50-51-52-53-54-55-56-57-58-59-60-61-62-63-64-69-70-71-72
33-34-35-36-37-38-39-40-41-42-43-44-45-46-47-48-65-66-67-68
17-18-19-20-21-22-23-24-25-26-27-28-29-30-31-32
01-02-03-04-05-06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16
Set at second lowest bass octave (octave 1 or 2)

This would allow me to use 5 octaves of the C chromatic scale on the main keys and 1 octave of the C chromatic scale on the drum keys.

How do I go about setting up the Tau key layout so it's like I described?

This would (or should) then provide a total of 6 octaves to use the Scale Illuminator that is being discussed in another thread and would be very useful for learning different scales on that same layout. I prefer the above layout as it is the most intuitive for me coming off a typical MIDI keyboard.

Can anyone assist me? If they could I would really appreciate it.
Thanks ;)

Mon, 7 Oct 2013 15:42:30 +0100 BST

hmm, bare in mind a keyboard/piano doesn't really have this layout, since blacks keys are above, the issue you may face is therefore the span.
(e.g i can easily span an octave on my keyboard, but not 12 keys on a eigenharp)
... do you really want to emulate a keyboard? why not just treat it as a different instrument? also bare in mind you will want to do things that are impossible with a keyboard (e.g pitch/roll individual keys) ... so is a keyboard layout suitable for this?

just my thoughts...but its good to experiment, it may work out really well :o)

any way, the good news is it should be pretty easy to try,
(if we ignore the percussion keys for now)

the layout you describe is actually the native layout of the tau hardware.
it is changed into 'factory layout' in the main keygroup (possibly and/or
in the keygroup it feeds e.g. keygroup 1)

so theoretically all you should need to do is the following (in eigencommander)

main keygroup hey musical clear
keygroup 1 hey musical clear

(i assume you are not using splits, so you can ignore other keygroups)

good luck, and lets us know how you get on.

Mark

BTW, if you need more elaborate layouts, then you can map in belcanto or using WB... or use my 'creator' application, which comes with a few alternative mappings.

written by: benjamind2008

Tue, 8 Oct 2013 10:00:12 +0100 BST

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the input. It was valuable.

How does the C chromatic mode work with your Scale Illuminator feature? I'm trying to get this working, and I know it would improve my playing a lot.

Does your scale illuminator work on the drum keys too? I was assuming it would since they're just like the other keys?

Tue, 8 Oct 2013 13:36:13 +0100 BST

Ok, the basic way to use scale illuminator is to have the keygroup set to chromatic, ( usually C as tonic)
Then set the reference scale ( on scale illuminator) to what you want to see how to play.
I usually have my ref scale set to C major.
This will then light all keys in C major on the chromatic layout.
I usually have it set to 'inverted' which means the key not in the scale are set to red,
This means I end up with chromatic where red keys are a pianos black, and C is green.

Yes scale illuminator will work with any set of keys and also splits.

Please log in to join the discussions