Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: How do you set up Midi or AU/VST?

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

ok, had a try with my old macbook pro, which is running 10.7, also works fine.
I used the USB next to the power plug for the basestation, and the USB on the opposite side for the TI. I didn't get any conflict issues (surprisingly!) and seemed to work fine with EigenD.

On system report, it showed basestation sharing with isight, and the TI with keyboard, but VCC didn't seem to mind this at all.

When I got my virus (not long ago) I spent a bit of time trying different USB port combinations, to avoid conflicts and also to try to avoid audio issues and stuck notes. having both eigenharps and the TI on USB is not ideal really, due to the limited number of USB ports on macs... but you can get it to work :o)

BTW, if you do connect via midi, you could alway change patches using CC messages, this is another thing, id like to get working... would be nice to do from the harp :o)

written by: tenorjazz

Mon, 30 Sep 2013 16:33:09 +0100 BST

I have been looking all over to try and figure out how to set up midi on my new Tau.

I see the key that says use midi port 1 or 2, but how do you tell EigenD what midi port 1 or 2 is? Do I need a base station Pro? Do I need the upgrade to EigenD Pro to get Workbench to do this?

I'm having the same problem with the AU/VST setup. I would like to use Omnisphere but don't see how to tell EigenD to do this.

Also I can see the Alchemy interface, but how to bring up the Sampler interface, and can I run more than one instance of Alchemy?

Is there some written documentation on how to do all this?

written by: cellular_model

Mon, 30 Sep 2013 17:14:53 +0100 BST

Is there some written documentation on how to do all this?

http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Configuring_AudioUnit_and_VST_plugins/

written by: mikemilton

Mon, 30 Sep 2013 17:23:12 +0100 BST

For loading an AU/VST look at page 17 of the Quick Start Guide.

I'd suggest you work your way through the guide and the videos.

When EigenD is running, you will see virtual MIDI ports EigenD1 and EigenD2. These are MIDI1 and 2 respectively. Other software can listen to those or you can route them to a physical output on your system

Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:38:20 +0100 BST

I understand now. I found the link between Stage and the Browsers. This let me connect both my AU/VST and midi ports with my setup. I think when I bring my DAW into the picture I will need to use the Virtual Midi Ports, is that right?

Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:47:40 +0100 BST

While I have your ear, maybe you can help me with a couple of related issues.

With the little bit of testing I've done, I got a "stuck" midi note in Omnishpere and a "stuck" midi note on my Access Virus. Is there a way to send a "kill all" message from the Eigen harp?

I am having some quirky problems with my Eigenharp so that may be what caused the stuck notes. I'm working with support to resolve those issues.

Also: Has anybody been able to use the Access Ti Virus AU (USB) setup with the Eigenharp. I got a "conflict error" when I plugged the Virus in via the USB port. No problems going through my Midisport, but then I don't have a way to change instruments from the computer and have to do it directly on the Virus.

written by: carvingCode

Mon, 30 Sep 2013 19:53:01 +0100 BST

Yes, when using a DAW, you will need the virtual MIDI port.

Mon, 30 Sep 2013 20:54:55 +0100 BST

hi,
yes, ive got a ti working with my alpha, and think its a great combination :)
you have to try different usb port combinations as ti is quite sensitive to usb bus sharing.
ive got my basestation into an external usb hub, and the ti into my mac directly, but other combinations worked too.

stuck notes, could be you need to set decimination - the harp sends alot of data.

i notice this particularly when using poly midi ( which i use to get per note expression on ti, by sending each note to separate patch)

the tricky part of TI integration with EigenD is that VC can only be loaded once, but this can be worked around by some rewiring in workbench.
eg ive got it now, so i can use TI as both synth and fx unit ( for eigend/other vsts) at once ( ie via 'input signals')
one thing ive not done yet, but will, is to allow different splits to go to different ti parts.

btw,
i only tend to use in 'live' mode, seems less latency, and take care with usb audio ... if your using headphones into harp you could easily overload usb (clicks/pops) , my plan is to get a firewire audio interface to use for virus output to help this.

btw, you will also find interesting eigenharp things over at g+... my projects i usually release there first :)
https://plus.google.com/s/eigenharp/communities

good luck and enjoy :)

Mon, 30 Sep 2013 21:56:49 +0100 BST

Technobear... what kind of computer are you using. I have a Macbook Pro that is a few years old. Not sure of the version but it's the intel one that you max memory at 8 gig. I wonder how the USB ports are set up on it (shared??). I tried a hub early on and had lots of problems with the Tau not initializing. I read somewhere that EigenD is pretty particular about how the USB ports are being used. Another thing, my TI is an early one. I have all the software updates so don't know if that makes a difference. I also have an older Indigo and with the Eigenharp it's the first time I've been able to get the Midi sync to really lock in and work. Thanks for all the other info, I will check it out , when I get a chance.

BTW.. Using mixing Omnisphere, Alchemy and the Virus you have a massive variety of sound choices.

Tue, 1 Oct 2013 11:40:20 +0100 BST

Im using a new iMac, running 10.8, Ive a TI 1 (keyboard), running 5.0.3.

hmm, Ive not had a problem using an external hub with my basestation, and the hub is nothing special... just powered USB hub. (think Trust or similar, probably usb 2.0).

Ive got an old Macbook pro (C2D 2.3, max 3gb!) which ive not tried, I will give that a go too... its only got 2 USB ports, and I know one was not liked by my Pico, but perhaps Alpha/Basestation will be ok

Tue, 1 Oct 2013 13:33:31 +0100 BST

ok, had a try with my old macbook pro, which is running 10.7, also works fine.
I used the USB next to the power plug for the basestation, and the USB on the opposite side for the TI. I didn't get any conflict issues (surprisingly!) and seemed to work fine with EigenD.

On system report, it showed basestation sharing with isight, and the TI with keyboard, but VCC didn't seem to mind this at all.

When I got my virus (not long ago) I spent a bit of time trying different USB port combinations, to avoid conflicts and also to try to avoid audio issues and stuck notes. having both eigenharps and the TI on USB is not ideal really, due to the limited number of USB ports on macs... but you can get it to work :o)

BTW, if you do connect via midi, you could alway change patches using CC messages, this is another thing, id like to get working... would be nice to do from the harp :o)

Please log in to join the discussions