Forum rss-feed

Forum

Alpha: key pressed, but note not sounding.

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

@jaself, interesting... im not sure it really happened more after time a long time or not... could be.

Anyway, Good news is after changing the debounce to 25000, ive not had it again (and Ive used it for many hours of practice), so pretty confident that this seems to have fixed it ... and doesn't seem to have any detrimental side effects either.

Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:14:04 +0100 BST

hi,
ive got a small issue, very occasionally, when im playing, i play a note but there is no sound.
( say 3 or 4 times in 2 hours)

im a bit confused, as its not consistent, and its not the same key each time, though usually its on the left hand ( so upper part of keyboard)

i know ive pressed the key, as the orange light is still on, and i can definitely see the note was not received as the vst is not showing it highlighted.

i initially notices with pianoteq vst, but have since seen the same with my virus ti, and also with the inbuilt synth.

i intially thought, perhaps i was not playing the note with enough 'force' but usually the keys are hyper sensitive. ( this suspicion was due to 9/10 its on my left hand)

i was wondering about debounce setting, but i thought this was only if key was pressed more than once, and this happens when the note has not been played previously.

( this is using factory setup 4, mac os 10.8.5, alpha with basestation pro)

it seems to be increasing in frequency, but this may not be the case, it may be that im just playing faster etc as im getting used to the alpha.

any thoughts on what might cause this, technique? solutions?

written by: dhjdhj

Mon, 23 Sep 2013 11:58:50 +0100 BST

I had this problem a long time ago and it was a debounce issue but, if I recall correctly, it required a firmware update to get it fixed.

Mon, 23 Sep 2013 14:31:59 +0100 BST

cool, i did see a similar post here (perhaps yours?)... But was unclear if it was same issue
Reply, implied he latest release does allow setting debounce...

pehaps john can confirm, is this the bootstrap firmware in the basestation and in 2.0.74
, or the alphas, ive 1.6 on the alpha but could upgrade it to 1.7 if needed.

btw dhjdhj, did you see my eigenfreed post on g+, using max without eigend :)

written by: carvingCode

Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:55:28 +0100 BST

I don't know if this is the exact thing I experience from time to time, but occasionally on my Alpha (only) keys will lag. It can be on samplers or AUs. It usually occurs when I initially start up the instrument or load a new setup.

I've been able to clear the lag by selecting a different instrument (different sampler or AU slot). Then when I go back to the original slot, all works as expected.

Mark - How do I tell what version of the firmware I have?

Randy

Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:55:41 +0100 BST

For me, this is happening after I've been playing for some time.
Also, there's no lag, just no data going through to vst.

EDIT: ive now posted instructions on how to determine your firmware version etc.... im not sure if there is a more friendly way, but its the way I worked it out :o)

Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:56:16 +0100 BST

ok, to find out firmware you will need to run eigend from command line,

using
/usr/pi/release-2.0.74-stable/bin/eigend --stdout --debug

load any (alpha) setup
after a while you'll see lines like:
eigend: : basecfg: 02010000....
eigend: : instcfg: 01040601....

ok, we are interested in instcfg, this is how mine decodes:
01 - its an alpha
04 - its a hardware version 4 control board (0 - 3 use a 2.1 control board, 4 uses a 2.2)
0601 - its 01.06 version of firmware on alpha i.e. its low , then high

the rest are things like serial number, temperature, various comms counters etc.

I noticed, that eigenD ships with 01.07 , hence my previous post, which ive not got an answer too yet.
its pretty obvious, that eigenD does not install the update, but i wondered if the installation process does, and because I upgraded to 2.0.74 when I had the pico, if it missed the update.
would be interesting to know what versions of firmware others are running.

written by: NothanUmber

Mon, 23 Sep 2013 21:35:21 +0100 BST

I get the same instcfg as you. (Basecfg slightly differs, it's 02011600dd090f000...)
Installed every released experimental/testing/stable EigenD version since 1.x days on my machine, so it's unlikely that you just missed the version that would have done an automatic update - probably there was none.

Mon, 23 Sep 2013 23:03:58 +0100 BST

Mark, I didn't see what you wrote about Max as I don't really check into Google+ much --- just added you to a circle but still not sure what to look for.

Did you build a completely EigenD free interface to Max?

written by: carvingCode

Mon, 23 Sep 2013 23:38:03 +0100 BST

dh - yes he did. I hope he continues with it. BTW: If you click on his name only at G+, you'll see only the posts he's started.

Wed, 25 Sep 2013 10:46:44 +0100 BST

last night i set the debounce to 25000 (up from 20000) and didn't have an issue - early days, but promising :o) will report back after a few more days.

dh, yes, Ive built an external which just send raw data to max, as metioned in my demo, its just a start really.

Wed, 25 Sep 2013 11:48:36 +0100 BST

Is that external available to others? How does it get the data from the Eigenharp ? Does it communicate directly via USB?

Wed, 25 Sep 2013 18:53:56 +0100 BST

Not available at present, as still a bit of a 'project' in both form and function.
(Eg stabilizing interface, also I'm not sure about open sourcing due to a few reasons)
Yes, it communicates directly with harp via the basestation over USB the demo video I put on g+ explains a bit more how etc.

written by: jaself

Sun, 29 Sep 2013 04:35:56 +0100 BST

Mark, I have occasionally experienced similarly missing notes when playing very fast arpeggios on my Pico. Like you, I have only noticed it after EigenD has been running a long time. When it happens I can repeat it within a few seconds. It continues with all other apps closed, but clears with restarting EigenD.

Sat, 5 Oct 2013 20:51:52 +0100 BST

@jaself, interesting... im not sure it really happened more after time a long time or not... could be.

Anyway, Good news is after changing the debounce to 25000, ive not had it again (and Ive used it for many hours of practice), so pretty confident that this seems to have fixed it ... and doesn't seem to have any detrimental side effects either.

Please log in to join the discussions