Forum rss-feed

Forum

Developers: Building my agents under windows.

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

thanks... If i get time, I might try to build up the windows environment... think I may need to sort out my windows VM first though :o)

do you want to 'announce' the windows versions on G+/here, or at least bring the old threads back to the top... as I think there were a few that were interested in both scale illuminator and oscpad for windows.

Sun, 1 Sep 2013 13:49:56 +0100 BST

Hi,
Id llke to release a copy of my current agents (OSCPad and Scale Illuminator) and future agents under windows.

However, I don't have a Windows development any more (dont really want one either ;o) ).
the README in the open source says VC 2008,
but Im wondering if I could use Visual Studio Express (2010 or 2012)...

have you tried? are there any known issues?
do you just use the compiler, or other VC tools they may not be included in VSE?

thanks for any hints... might save me a bit of time

Mark

p.s. it'd be very useful for open source too, to allow a free way to release the windows agents

written by: NothanUmber

Mon, 2 Sep 2013 00:12:44 +0100 BST

Hi Mark,
yes, the VS2008 Express Edition works, you just have to install the Windows SDK yourself as it doesn't come with it (the latest Win7 SDK - I think it's 7.1 - should be fine).
As far as I can remember you had to set an environment variable that tells the build system that you are on a Win32 platform, not Win64 - which it is not prepared for.
On my mobile phone atm., so I can't try it out.

Mon, 2 Sep 2013 13:56:43 +0100 BST

cheers, I will try to hunt down VS2008E,
does this run on Vista? ( I really do have old stuff, as Ive been avoiding windows :o) )
also given the Win7SDK has the compilers,
im wondering if I even need visual studio? im not after a development environment.... I just need to build with it.

Mon, 2 Sep 2013 19:23:51 +0100 BST

yep, Vista should work. It's not officially supported by EigenD though (even though the last 1.x version I tried there worked without problems), so I'd get me a cheap Win7 license at the first sight of running into trouble - fixing Vista related issues is probably not worth it.
Honestly never tried to use a Win SDK on a machine that has no VS installed - but it's worth a try with Win7 SDK, given that EigenD most likely doesn't use MFC or ATL or something VS specific.
Starting with the Win8 SDK this definitely won't work anymore though as Microsoft has stripped many necessary command line tools there - e.g. the compiler... VS Express should be sufficient though for EigenD stuff.

written by: benjamind2008

Tue, 1 Oct 2013 02:16:28 +0100 BST

This is great news, if you can do a Win7 release of the OSCPad and especially the Scale Illuminator, that would be amazing.

I've been waiting a while to see that come to Windows, and if it does it will be a Godsend, and I don't want to use Workbench if I only need to use standard EigenD 2.0.

Tue, 1 Oct 2013 08:20:13 +0100 BST

Will try to get the Technobear agents compiled for Windows at the evening.

Tue, 1 Oct 2013 13:46:45 +0100 BST

cool, I must admit I can't really muster the enthusiasm to get a windows environment running.. you just know its going to be a hassle ;o)

this is partly because the instructions for it are a bit vague:
Visual Studio 2008
NSIS
WiX
Direct X SDK (June 2010)

are NSIS and WiX just the installers? (why 2?), what versions?

@NothanUmber, have you already set up an eigend dev environment? if not, could you take some notes as you do it, might help others to do it after with a little less 'pain'

i did this for the mac ... here:
http://myeigenharp.wordpress.com/2013/03/31/open-source-is-a-wonderful-thing/

cheers
Mark

Tue, 1 Oct 2013 20:08:55 +0100 BST

Pushed the Windows binaries to github:
https://github.com/TheTechnobear/Eigenharp/blob/master/agents/binaries/Eigenlabs-Technobear-2.0-stable.msi

Regarding build environment: As far as I remember I just installed Visual Studio 2008, the Direct X SDK (which I already had on my disk I think) and the Steinberg SDK. So it was quite straight forward.
If there is serious interest by somebody who wants to develop on Windows and is struggling to get it running I can try to recreate the steps starting from a clean Win7/8 VM (am currently using Win8, Win7 also works though).

Tue, 1 Oct 2013 22:33:25 +0100 BST

Most likely there was more to it. Just did a search in my downloads folder, found out that nsis-2.46-setup.exe and a Wix35.msi were
downloaded two years ago on the same day, so I installed them likely for the same cause - probably EigenD development.

And of course I already had the Windows 7 SDK installed (which is likely also needed to compile the compatibility layer stuff).

As said, if there is serious interest I can try to redo the installation in a VM (which I can't provide unfortunately for obvious reasons - but a step-by-step tutorial could be written that way).

P.S.: Yepp, it was certainly for EigenD, downloaded these five files at the same day:
- DXSDK_Jun10.exe
- Wix35.msi
- nsis-2.46-setup.exe
- vst_sdk2_4_rev2.zip
- vcsetup.exe (Visual Studio Express 2008 SP1 setup)

Two days later I downloaded:
- winsdk_web.exe (The Win7 SDK)
- dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe
- JuceAPIDocs.zip
- juce_1_52.zip

Don't know whether I still needed these to get EigenD to compile or not. Perhaps I just wanted to play with the full Juce sources...

Wed, 2 Oct 2013 15:58:45 +0100 BST

thanks... If i get time, I might try to build up the windows environment... think I may need to sort out my windows VM first though :o)

do you want to 'announce' the windows versions on G+/here, or at least bring the old threads back to the top... as I think there were a few that were interested in both scale illuminator and oscpad for windows.

Please log in to join the discussions