Forum rss-feed

Forum

General Discussion: Sequential notes with player agent

Most Recent

written by: bwong

mikemilton - Thanks, that is a handy technique.
Technobear - Thanks Mark! Having access to arranger will open up a lot of new possibilities.

Tue, 6 Aug 2013 14:56:37 +0100 BST

I have been experimenting with using the player agent to play a musical phrase from a belcanto script. To my surprise, I got it working reasonably well, however was hoping there is a better way to do it.

I tried to find some kind of pause or wait command, however was not successful and ended up using the "ahem" command. I have no idea what "ahem" actually does, and cannot find it in the wiki. The belcanto format is as follows:
note 20 with velocity 100 for 0.75 second play
ahem
ahem
note 21 with velocity 77 for 1 second play

I used a fairly large number of ahems, from 24 to 48 per note.

1. What does ahem do? Is it safe to use it like this?
2. Is there a better way to time notes in belcanto?

written by: TheTechnobear

Tue, 6 Aug 2013 16:01:03 +0100 BST

no idea what its for.

Ive check the source code, and to me its seems like it is a synonym for 'hey'

Personally, Id been looking for something sync to the clock/metronome, and that pretty much is 'arranger'. this allows you to schedule talker events (including use player) at a given point in time.
Im not sure its going to do what you want, but its only that and scheduler that allow timing.

Tue, 6 Aug 2013 21:57:31 +0100 BST

Since I only have a Pico, Arranger is unfortunately not an option.

written by: carvingCode

Wed, 7 Aug 2013 00:22:18 +0100 BST

Arranger can be wired in on a Pico. It's not by default in Factory setups due to the Pico's limited keys. But the Arranger agent can be added to a Pico setup.

Wed, 7 Aug 2013 04:02:42 +0100 BST

Is Workbench required to do this? If not, an example script would be much appreciated.

Brian

Wed, 7 Aug 2013 10:18:19 +0100 BST

Ive already wire it up into my PicoMix setup.
this can be found with all my other Eigenharp goodies on github:
https://github.com/TheTechnobear/Eigenharp

in /Setups you will find PicoMix
In /Scripts/misc - you will also find the script I used to connect the arranger to picomix.

you can find more info on Pico Mix here:
https://plus.google.com/110586757591577940744/posts/gNYdPAbctfX

enjoy

Wed, 7 Aug 2013 14:29:08 +0100 BST

Thank you Mark, I look forward very much to trying this out!

written by: keyman

Wed, 7 Aug 2013 15:09:11 +0100 BST

Word silent, maybe?

Wed, 7 Aug 2013 15:36:08 +0100 BST

I don't think the verb silent is used anywhere keyman.
(or at least i cannot find it in the code, except for in the lexicon)

@bwong, enjoy... btw it might look a bit 'complex' as its creates a 'virtual keygroup' that is large, to make it useable on the pico, but the connection stuff for the arranger is simple enough.
also, Im not quite sure on your planned usage, from the above example, it seem to be programmatic, if this is the case and you dont need a visual add, I think you could probably create the arranger without a keygroup, and program in belcanto.

also, the question could also be, why use belcanto for a phrase?
could you not just record it, and then just trigger the recording from belcanto?

also... if you want to do more 'programatic' stuff, you could do this externally, and just trigger via eigend via midi/osc ... eg. as I've done with Osc Pad for Ableton Live.

anyway, lots of ideas and rather depends what your end goal is.

written by: keyman

Wed, 7 Aug 2013 16:30:28 +0100 BST

@ TheTechnobear
As a safe word i was referring to...

(it was used in 1.4 to colour keys/training lights

" " when 1 silent do 1 to 2 colour ify
#1 is the key to light up

Thu, 8 Aug 2013 10:20:42 +0100 BST

ah sorry,
I only ever look at 2.0/2.1+ source code. 1.4 is quite a bit different and as I don't use, not worth investigating (for me)

Thu, 8 Aug 2013 10:56:25 +0100 BST

I tried some of your scripts on 1.4 and they did not work, but plan to get 2.0 soon and check them out.

Until I see what is possible with the arranger I will not know where a programmatic rather than recording approach might be useful.

One question - I was looking through the code in your "06 pico mix" script and am curious about this line:
0.33333333333333331 as octave step define
What exactly is this number and how does the octave definition work mathematically?

Brian

written by: mikemilton

Thu, 8 Aug 2013 12:59:39 +0100 BST

Until I see what is possible with the arranger I will not know where a programmatic rather than recording approach might be useful.

That is a really insightful observation. The real issue with a programmatic approach is that you are then tied to and driven by that framework for the song.

One hybrid (if you just have one thing to program) is to leave an arranger enabled with the metronome off. You can then play it by starting the metronome whenever you want. You just need to be at (or close to) tempo and you need to think about stopping it at the end (particularly if you want to play it again).

Thu, 8 Aug 2013 17:48:43 +0100 BST

0.3333 step - with pico mix you can choose if you want the 'octave buttons' to go up/down in whole octaves/ 3rds etc.
(mathematically, its just works as fraction or multiple of octave)

arranger could also be driven programmatically from belcanto, which opens up another set of options.

Thu, 8 Aug 2013 18:47:20 +0100 BST

mikemilton - Thanks, that is a handy technique.
Technobear - Thanks Mark! Having access to arranger will open up a lot of new possibilities.

Please log in to join the discussions