Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Quicker Quick Start Guide?

Most Recent

written by: mikemilton

Is Windows 8 supported? The faq only mentions win 7 and explicitly says Vista and XP do not work. Several folk are using Mac airs.

written by: mcj

Thu, 25 Jul 2013 00:53:55 +0100 BST

I just bought a Pico. The guide in the box and the intro video in the support section here are fairly focused on directing me to install software. I don't have a computer available right now that I would want to load this software on. More importantly, I'm not understanding why having a computer available to use the pico is an issue. Is it not going to be possible to use the pico as a stand-alone instrument without a computer attached?

I was anticipating using the instrument in a highly portable scenario, I was not at all planning to travel with a computer when I was going to be playing the pico. Is it not possible to simply connect the pico to an amp of some sort and... just play it? Is there a quick-start guide available to show me how to plug in some headphones and get sound out of the unit? At this point I'm not even sure how to power it on and if the only way to use it is with a computer this may not be a workable solution for me in any case.

written by: GoneCaving

Thu, 25 Jul 2013 08:32:19 +0100 BST

No, as per the FAQ, it is not possible to play the Eigenharps without a computer:

http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/Is_the_Eigenharp_a_standalone_instrument/

written by: carvingCode

Thu, 25 Jul 2013 23:32:20 +0100 BST

Not only does the FAQ cover the incorporation of a computer, so does the description of each of the three Eigenharp models. If you've got a laptop, it's really not difficult to plus the Pico into the laptop, headphones into the laptop and away you go.

written by: mcj

Fri, 26 Jul 2013 09:47:43 +0100 BST

Thanks for the clarification guys. While I had seen software mentioned in the sales information, it seemed to me like a method of adding updates or sound fonts, etc. I had not grasped that this was a fundamental component. It would seem I need to go back to the drawing board here a bit on my original plan.

I had expected to travel with an iPad for referring to sheet music so perhaps revising that strategy will work. I'll look into using a Windows 8 tablet instead of the iPad and that way my total "travel size" wouldn't be any larger than I was planning in the first place. It will be interesting to see if a Windows tablet will have the processing power to handle the load. If you know of any insight people have on using EigenD with Atom CPU systems (since most of the tablets I'm aware of use them) I'd love to read about that.

written by: mikemilton

Fri, 26 Jul 2013 19:22:18 +0100 BST

Is Windows 8 supported? The faq only mentions win 7 and explicitly says Vista and XP do not work. Several folk are using Mac airs.

Please log in to join the discussions