Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Fixed parameter value

Most Recent

written by: TheTechnobear

Cool, like that approach - even simpler.

not thought of it, though often Ive wanted the KG output for the actual functionality... (i use the switch to move between menus)
will think it about it on my setups though, may be can use it.

ive thought for a time, it would be nice to have a talker (and key group) option to move thru states.

written by: Scuz793

Wed, 26 Jun 2013 12:22:43 +0100 BST

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a phrase I can use in a talker to set a parameter of an audio unit to a fixed value.

Basically I want to use the percussion keys to turn on/off drawbars in NI's B4.

I have sent the perc keys to their own parameter inputs in the AU and I can get them to nudge up or down (not both lol)

but I need the light to change on an off as well so I was wondering if there was a line for setting the parameter value.

Something like:

audio unit hey
parameter 7 to 100 set

Any ideas?

Wed, 26 Jun 2013 18:33:50 +0100 BST

have you tried:
audio unit hey midi controller X to Y set

where:
X = CC
Y= value

written by: keyman

Wed, 26 Jun 2013 19:01:46 +0100 BST

Let me see... simple and straight on/off from the percussion keys controlling the drawbars (each time you press a key-on//off??)

Setting the Routing matrix parameters narrower allows to send specific values...
http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Routing_Matrix/

Think with variables this could be done...
I'll come back to this later.

Cheers

Thu, 27 Jun 2013 00:51:01 +0100 BST

Some more ideas (and time invested not doing scales...lazing)

A talker by itself can't send neither notes nor MIDI CC's, but can handle the light switching. (later on this)

Using one wire for each percussion key (this have you done right? :input filter: (connections details) this will "isolate" each key of the percussion keygroup (enter 121, 122, 123 and so on) If using a rig, filter once; either outside or inside the rig.

Maybe use yaw to map each parameter/CC - then MIDI learn on the B4.

Let me know if this helps...

written by: carvingCode

Thu, 27 Jun 2013 01:03:08 +0100 BST

I tried at one time to use a Talker to send Belcanto to a Player so that it could send a note value. After early failure, I gave up. Not sure if this works or not actually.

Thu, 27 Jun 2013 01:28:03 +0100 BST

@carvingCode
Belcanto using a player works great inside a talker!!
That is how the Arranger works, sort of....
(ex. Modartt - Pianoteq accepts note on to load presets - a talker can this way control Preset change)

Thu, 27 Jun 2013 09:31:45 +0100 BST

>A talker by itself can't send neither notes nor MIDI CC's, but can handle the light switching. (later on this)

I think that is incorrect....(ive not tested it though :))

Midi Converter & Audio unit, both seem to allows sending of CC's as well as changing program/banks etc.
(midi converter you can attach to midi on audio unit too, but I think you may as well do AU directly)

As you say, I think for notes you need to use a Player, and again attach to either MidiConverter or AU agent as appropriate.

did anyone try my suggestion of:

(id be interested if it works, as need it myself.. but a bit busy with cfilters and the moment :))

Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:10:36 +0100 BST

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for getting back to me.

OK, so I have already tried cabling the 'key output' or 'yaw output' from the percussion keygroup to a parameter in the AU. filtered for 73 because i'm a tau user. :)

I find 'key output' is more useful because with yaw you have to hit it just right so it doesn't return to the original value.

my problem now is that I can only get it to go one way. I can start at zero and nudge it up 1 or 2 at a time, but once its at the top, it stays there unless I hit the invert button in the configure window. I'm not too sure at this stage if I would rather that the counting goes 0 1 2 3 0 1 2 3 or 0 1 2 3 2 1 0 but if you have a suggestion for either, I'm all ears.

Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:16:20 +0100 BST

Also, for the lights, what I wanted to happen was for them to reflect how high the draw bar is, so if I had 4 nudge intervals of 0, 3, 5, 8 they would be represented as off, green, orange, red

written by: geert

Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:31:36 +0100 BST

See the bottom of this page, just set up a talker that sends that Belcanto:

http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/2.0/Audio_Unit/

Setting up different states based on yaw nudging is not really going to work since it will snap back to the central state when you release the key. What you can do though is to cycle through different values while you press on a key: first press triggers a first talker, deactivates it, activates next talker, second press triggers second talker, deactivates it, activates next talker, ... and so on. Each talker can return a different colour.

Maybe that will be closer to what you're trying to do.

Fri, 28 Jun 2013 03:34:48 +0100 BST

Challenges...and sometimes mistakes.

Thanks Geert, for steeping in to help...
Not sure how to ..."deactivates it, activates next talker..." ???

@TheTechnobear
Sorry for the delay... and yes, you are correct all along

This does send chosen MIDI CC and value!!
So, best is using talkers controlling both MIDI CC/values and lights.

Thu, 4 Jul 2013 14:06:04 +0100 BST

Thanks a bunch guys,

I'm finding that the "audio unit hey midi controller X to Y set " works fine but the only extra thing i need it to do is toggle between values.

I've tried setting up different actions on one key of the talker:
audio unit hey midi controller X to Z set

But I asume that these are both being performed at the same time.

So I think i need some kind of toggle. I know how to use toggle with metronome start, but it there a way to set the two things that are being toggled?

so hypothetically:
audio unit hey midi controller X to Y or Z toggle set

Thu, 4 Jul 2013 15:41:39 +0100 BST

unfortunately there is no toggle functionality.
but you can implement your own...

basis idea, is you create a keygroup with 2 outputs (you can do more if you need more 'states')
then connect a a different talker to each output
each talker has two actions, and mapped to the SAME key (lets say 1/9)
on talker 1 - action 1 is :
on talker 2 action 1 is:
audio unit hey midi controller X to X set

on talker 1, action 2, selects the output 2 of your key group
on talker 1, action 2, selects the output 1 of your key group

so basically, what happens is the active talker changes due to action 2 each time you press the key.

note: you dont need to allocate any keys to KG outputs and you dont need a mode key either - as its only ever selected via the talker.

I use this alot in pico mix, I call it a 'switch' .. I have both 2 and 4 states ones implemented... it looks complex but its not really.

written by: geert

Thu, 4 Jul 2013 16:33:30 +0100 BST

No need to use different outputs for that, you can basically have different keys in the same talkers. Since you can have multiple belcanto phrases through multiple actions, you can execute your functionality in the first action and then use other actions to change the actual key coordinates that the talker key is listening to.

For instance:

talker 1

key -> key 1
action 1 : midi converter 1 hey midi controller 1 to 127 set
action 2 : talker 1 hey key 1 key row to 0 set
action 3 : talker 1 hey key 2 key row to 1 set
default colour : 2
key column : 3
key row : 1

key -> key 2
action 1 : midi converter 1 hey midi controller 1 to 0 set
action 2 : talker 1 hey key 1 key row to 1 set
action 3 : talker 1 hey key 2 key row to 0 set
default colour : 1
key column : 3
key row : 0

So as you press on key 1, it'll set the MIDI controller value to 127, change its own row coordinate to 0 (which can't be used on the current instruments through the keyboard) and change key 2's row coordinate to 1. This effectively hides key 1 and makes key 2 active. The colour of talker key 2 will then be shown and the next time you press the same physical keyboard key on coordinate 3,1, it will set the MIDI controller value to 0 and switch the rows around the other way.

Thu, 4 Jul 2013 17:25:38 +0100 BST

Cool, like that approach - even simpler.

not thought of it, though often Ive wanted the KG output for the actual functionality... (i use the switch to move between menus)
will think it about it on my setups though, may be can use it.

ive thought for a time, it would be nice to have a talker (and key group) option to move thru states.

Please log in to join the discussions