Forum rss-feed

Forum

Help: Pico Fingerer MIDI Stuck Notes

Most Recent

written by: joq100

It works, just like a charm, with the pitch bend range set on 24 on both EigenD and the VST. Many, many thanks! This is great!

Sat, 15 Jun 2013 19:30:02 +0100 BST

Hello!

I'm trying to use the pico fingerer experimental setup with the midi output slot to control Reaktor (with silverwood). I've encountered a problem similar to that described on http://www.eigenlabs.com/forum/threads/id/933/?page=1
where the note that is output is stuck and it doesn't change unless I stop blowing completely and then blow again with the fingers changed, so I can't change from one note to another while playing.
Actually, to be more precise, sometimes I can change from one note to the tone above or below if I press other buttons, but not to any other note.

I'm using a custom fingering which works fine with the clarinet on that setup, and the problem also happens with other programs like Logic or with other fingerings. I'm using eigenD 2.0.72; I don't have access to the latest version, but according to that forum thread that problem should have been fixed.

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem, and does anyone know a solution?
Thanks in advance.

Wed, 31 Dec 2014 12:45:48 +0000 GMT

Hi, it's me again.
I still have the same problem, using 2.1.0 experimental now. It happens both with MIDI instruments or with AU/VST instruments (clarinet works fine again though). It happens with every computer (Windows and Mac) that I have. Maybe it's a problem with the Eigenharp (Pico) itself?

I think the problem is that an "end-note" message is not sent when the key presses are changed, but only when the breath flow is stopped. Some frequency changes are transmitted, but instead of new notes they are interpreted as pitch-bend messages (and that's why one tone changed above or below, depending on the new key presses).

I'm sorry that I posted this again but I can't find any information about this, besides that thread I linked to where there's no more discussion and no solution was really found, it seems.

I ask again if anyone knows anything about this.
Thanks in advance.

written by: TheTechnobear

Fri, 2 Jan 2015 10:34:31 +0000 GMT

I think this might be expected behavior.
note on/off are controlled by activation input which in this case is breath.
But you should be able to change notes whilst breathing BUT you will have to have pitch bend set appropriately - I'd start with +\- 24 on both midi converter/AU agent AND also within the VST that you are using.
( the idea is it you get a continuous flow as you change notes like a wind instrument rather than a percussive one - by doing it with PB you avoid the attack/decay transient)

It would be possible to have note activation based in key presses but you'd have to alter the setup, if you look at my modular part 3 video that might give you a clue how to do it.

Fri, 2 Jan 2015 11:31:39 +0000 GMT

It works, just like a charm, with the pitch bend range set on 24 on both EigenD and the VST. Many, many thanks! This is great!

Please log in to join the discussions